• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some help/advice

Schloogs

I am going to take up bowhunting this year. Have been rifle hunting for years and would like to take on the challenge of bowhunting. I am looking at buying a new bow and here is where my problem lies. I was looking at the Bear Charge setup but after getting measured for draw length (79 inch wing span) I need a 31 or 32 inch draw. What are the disadvantages of shooting with a shorter draw length? Can I get away with shooting a 30" inch draw? I was then trying to find a reasonable priced bow with a 31" draw length and here are a few that I found. Any feedback on these models would be much appreciated. Being a newbie to the sport I know very little about what are good and not so good bows. I would love to hear of any others that you might recommend as well.

Bear Assault - More than I would like to spend

Parker Raptor XP - On sale

Ross Carnivore - No nothing about Ross but is on sale and has 31" draw.

All of your questions are legit questions, but your problem does not lie in the purchase of a new bow-- it lies in the fact that you've waited too long to get a new bow set up well and to be an excellent shot with it by the time season opens. The biggest piece of advice I can give you at this point is- get crackin'!!! You're behind the 8-ball regarding time.

Do not make the mistake of getting a bow that doesn't fit you-- if you're a 31 or 32 inch drawlength, get a bow that'll fit that. Go to a shop that'll get you what you need, get you fitted and set up, and can provide some basic info regarding shooting form.

Good luck.

Like Scoot said, make sure the bow fits you and visit a proshop. There are accessories you can use to extend your draw such as a string loop and certain release aids. A 32" draw is a lot tougher to find than a 31" but with the right release and a loop you could play with your anchor point and make it work.

Shoot the ones you've found and see which is most comfortable for YOU. Don't worry about what others may say about a certain brand. The one that fits you the best should be your choice. Like Scoot said though, you may have already waited too long to be good enough with your new equipment to hunt this year without many hours of practice.

You are going to have a lot more fun shooting a bow that fits properly that you can consistently shoot well. Targets or animals, nobody likes to miss. If you buy a poorly fit bow just to get going this season, you are just doubling your cost when you decide it really doesn't fit and you shouldn't have rushed it.

I don't know what shops are near you, but I think your best bet is to find one that will let you try shooting a bunch of different bows and draw lengths until you find what will work best for you. A place that will take the time to get you set up right and not let you walk out the door with an un-tuned bow and no clue how to use it.

Go check out Cabin Fever in VIctoria. They are gonna have more than someone like Gander and they are gonna be able to make any adjustments for you.

They also will have some used bows for sale that will allow you to get into bowhunting withou breaking the bank. If you like archery you can upgrade in the future when you know what you want in the right size.

As far as your question about short draw length, its better to be short than long with your draw length.

I live in Eden Prairie too so let me know if you want to go shooting or just have some questions. I'd be happy to answer some questions if you want.

I would go to a good pro shop versus a big box store as many have suggested. You'll save a lot of money and headache in the long run because the staff will know exactly what you need to get started without making you spend a bunch on unneccesary BLEEP. I had a very positive experience with Scheel's in St. Cloud. They have an excellent pro shop manager. What I liked and still like about working with him is he's offered a lot of practical advice and never pushed me to buy more than what I've needed. In fact, he's often sold me the middle of the road model of whatever - site, rest, arrows, etc. - saying, this is what you need for now, you might want something a little more advanced down the road but this will work for as long as you want to use it. So my advice would be to find a place where you feel comfortable and have them set you up. Because once you get going, you'll be addicted and be going back to that place for years to come.

Schlogs,

you're getting some really good advice from these guys, just wish I knew of this site and this crew before I got into archery, had to learn the hard way but it was worth it. I x2,x3 what they stated, the chain stores are pretty good and I've been into the few of the stores for assistance once and awhile for press work that I couldn't do.

For your first experience make the effort and go stright to the specialized archery shops and then once you get comfortable with your gear any shop will be convienent for you. Just make sure your first bow is a positive experience and the rest will fall into place..sorry for the rambling but your getting the best advice a new comer could ever ask for.

Good luck and let us know your results OR if you having any questions!?

mr

Check out the PSE Vandetta XL while you are there. It goes to 32 inch DL and from all accounts is a top end bow that sells for less than many other top end bows.

Try to figure out which DL feels best, then you can narrow down your bow choices.

Here's a good tip for you-- whatever bows you look at, try find one that feels good in a longer ATA. If more guys shot longer bows, more guys would shoot more consistently. Plus, short ATA bows being more flexible and manuverable are totally overhyped, IMO. Longer bows are more consistent shooters, everything else equal.

If it feels too long, that's OK-- don't fight it. But if you're just starting out, start out by trying longer bows. That way they won't feel too long right away.

Good luck!