• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The hunt for a different boat

FishNovice101

Morning all,

I am just starting the search for a new/used boat. Right now we have a 16.5 Alumacraft with a 65hp Johnson. I would like something bigger, probably no longer that a 19', aluminum, and it needs rod storage (for long rods).

Any suggestions on motor manufacturer? What's good and what have you had problems with?

Thanks,

Char

Check out the Lund Tyee's and Yamaha 4 strokes. Bullet proof!

If you cant get the yamaha on the Lund at your dealer go with the Mercury Verado.

Or find a different dealer maybe.

You looking for a mixed use boat or more hard core fishing? What kind of fishing? How much money you got to spend? Hard to beat a big provee or alumacraft equivilent with a matching 4 stroke. Or one of the glass multispecies boats. yarcraft, ranger, etc.

I just switched from Alum to Glass, WOW what a difference. If I was buying a newer boat it would be a Tuffy, hard to beat their rod storage. I'm running a 17' Skeeter Deep V now, a 1991 but it's 10X the boat my Alumacraft was fro ride and fishability.

Hey Char, does your current Alumacraft have 2xb hull or not? If not, be sure to ride in one that does. BIG difference in ride. After that, check out the rod storage in each type/brand boat make sure to maybe take your longest rod you want to store along, as some tubes are longer than others for long rods, if it has center in floor storage. Our boat has plenty of storage on sides, and with rod socks we can fit a bunch of long rods in, but in floor storage would be nice. All decent brands have that nowadays, but our boat is older model without it.

Good luck! Have fun in the search! smile And all motors are good these days, so I would not even worry about brand, but with that said I am fan of black motors wink

"He's looking for an aluminum boat."

SHE is looking for a aluminum boat.

Char you did not say what you have for a rig to pull the boat and that would help with what size you dare go up to and if you would go for a tiller or a wheel.

I was thinking that a 1890 Lund ProV with a 150HP would fish 4 real nice and you would like to have a trailer that would have at least surge brakes. It would have baitwells at both ends of the boat and a decent amount of rod and dry storage.

Bigger is better but remember big is heavier. On a bigger boat the trailer becomes very important. Tillers are nice if you don't make many long runs. They also are nice for back trolling if you like to walleye fish. They also save on room with no counsel to get in the way of space. Counsels take up lots of room. They do however keep you out of the elements somewhat if you fish bigger bodies of water where wind and waves are a huge factor. I have a single counsel and someday's wish I had a double. The riders take some abuse on longer rides and my boat only does mid 40's. But most days I'd rather take the more open floor plan. If you fish most of the time with only 2-3 in the boat go double. If you fish 3-4 on a regular basis single is better IMO.

A 18' with a 150 is a good boat in most brands. Pay attention to the width or beam of the boat. A 18' boat doesn't have to be much wider or deeper than your current boat to make a big difference in storage space and creature comfort.

Boats are such a personal preference. If you fish just bass, just walleye or are more of a multi species fisherman makes a huge difference.

Most bigger fishing boats now are under powered and have to small of a trailer under them. Those are the 2 biggest over looked things in my book.

Most bigger fishing boats now are under powered and have to small of a trailer under them. Those are the 2 biggest over looked things in my book.

This is not true. Some dealers put small motors on their boats as a price point, but they do it for big and small boats. I'd say that 99% of the big boats (19' or bigger, wheel boats, not tillers) I see are 200 HP or better, most with 250 HP motors. I just got back from Lake Oahe and I don't believe I saw a boat under 200 HP the whole time. Again, just about every 19' or bigger boat I have seen is on a tandem axle trailer as well.

Just do your research and figure out what you want and how much you want to spend. Make sure the two can match up, your not going to get a 2075 ProV for $10,000. Keep your eyes open and the boat you want will show up when you least expect it.

You are right on the 19' or bigger trailers and motors matched for the rig. Most guys who buy the bigger rigs have been through this game before and know what they need under the boat and pushing it.

My thought process was along the lines of the price point boat trailer set up in the 17-18' range that are under trailered and under powered IMO but tempting for the average guy.