• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gophers.....I think

DTro

I've noticeD some fairly large dirt mounds in my backyard. Also a few holes about the size of a golf ball, found some tunneling too.

First, will this get worse because I can live with it now, but not much more as there are some soft spots and sod damage.

Second, what are my options to erradicate keeping in mind that I have a very curious beagle with a nose that doesn't quit.

That option was discussed with my wife already. She know's I'm crazy enough to start blowing stuff up, so when that movie was brought up, without hesitation she says, "Don't even think about it".

LOL

dtro - I have heard people putting bubble gum in the holes. Supposedly they eat it and can't digest it. This would be a safe route for the dog. I personally have not had moles/voles but a coworker had a problem and I suggested this and his problems went away.

Might be worth a try. Thanks

Then again, my dog once was able to find his way into a closed foyer closet and get a coat down from the hanger and chew through a zippered pocket just to get at one stinkin little piece of gum. Make we wonder what he could do with some sod and sand shocked

Darren, post a pic of the mounds. Could very easily be moles, but it also could be pocket gophers if you live near any fields or pastures, and the mounds will tell us which it is. If you're totally urban, it's almost certainly moles.

Well I leveled em off pretty good the other day when I was out mowing, but they were pretty good size. Like maybe if you dumped an ice cream pail full of dirt in a pile.

Our house backs up to rural horse pastures.

I'm not sure about the varmint at 0:35, but at 0:20 it looks like a positive ID in the top right side of the screen. I need one of these!

Yeah, Im still not sure about 0:35 but I totally missed the 0:20. That's definitely a varmint right thurrr.

Darren, next time check to see if there's a small plug of soil added to the edge of one of the mounds.

Viewed from above, mole mounds have the soil plug roughly in the middle of the circular mound. From above, pocket gopher mounds have the plugs off to one edge. From the side, a mole mound is a pretty uniform mound, while a pocket gopher mound mound tapers more sharply on one side and much more gradually on the other.

I'm going to add a link to a pdf that shows illustrations, but am unsure if it'll work right. It's here.

Either way just find the tunnel using a thin steel rod (3/8" or so). Probe around the mound until you feel where the tunnel is. The rod will give when you hit the tunnel. Dig down to the tunnel with a shovel, set a trap, put a board over the hole so your dog won't get into it, wait overnight, and pick up your trapped varmint in the morning.

(P.S. all you pre verts out there, please don't turn those directions into something they aren't grin)

As Mr Foss said earlier:

Pocket Gopher Mound

ar117802462028791.jpg

Mole Mound

mole%20mound%202%20web.JPG

just stick a trap down the whole, cover it up, keep pup away, and if it is Goldie, you should have his neck when he tries to fix his hole..

that's the way us farm kids did it.

So when we were little kids, we used to put the garden hose down the hole for 20 min or so...

I'm pretty sure it never worked, but any idea what was actually happening under there? I'm guessing they have a raised bedding area that would stay dry?

When we would see them up on the surface (separate from the water thing) we would cap them with the .22. By far the most gratifying way of getting them, but doesn't work so hot in the city.

pellet gun works in city. But moles don't come out much. Usually moles leave raised tunnels all over the lawn, as they burrow along just under the surface. There are special mole traps that you set in the runs to spear them as they come by.

Stripies will go for a rat trap baited with peanut butter and sunflower seeds.

As a last resort try something called mole chase. It's a castor oil based product and if applied correctly it can work well. Some customers love it, some say it doesn't work worth a lick, and I have no idea why.

What kind of trap do you use? I've tried to dig a hole, cleaned out both ends of the tunnel and put a trap in each side. THen I covered hole with plywood. The next day the hole was filled in and my traps were untouched. I am confident that no light was getting in past the plywood. The critters are driving me nuts!