• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trans additive

I bought a bottle of lucas tranny additive. my ranger has upwards of 170k on it and just want to add it as a preventative. My question is: should I let some of the fluid out before adding the lucas in, or just add it in?? Never added anything like it to a tranny before.

I have also used lucas with good results, but a repair shop told me to used red lube guard instead. This guy repairs trannies for a living, he is really picky so i'd like to think he knows. And yes you should take some fluid out. A seringe and a long hose will work down the dipstick hole but it will take awile. My old fords don't have a drain. You should maybe think about a filter change also, it's not hard just dirty. If you do don't forget the little rubber gasket on top of the filter sometimes it gets stuck and stays in the hole.

its a ford so the little rubber seal will stay in the hole where the filter slides in. you might have a single bolt holding it in place but double check the seal. if it is in there take a small pick and pull it out careful not to scratch the metal. refill to one pint or what ever the amount you have less than calls for. dont overfill, it will blow back out the fill tube when it gets hot. i use to do crown vic patrol cars daily, we would fill them one quart less than called for get them hot then check and add as needed. good luck.

I have sold thousands of bottles of Lucas and always got positive feedback. Several people could have been on a commercial.

The other one that I have hear success with is lubegard. The transmission shops always recommended it and I usually run it myslef. I guess I never had any problems to fix (knock on wood) but since they always recomended it I just threw it in.

Why not just take the thing in and get the fluid replaced? Might cost more but you'd end up with a new filter and maybe a screen - I don't know much about transmissions but that's what seems to be talked about when that's the subject. Putting an additive into dirty or burned fluid seems to be sort of a half-axxed what to solve a problem.

Yup, fluid and filter changed recently by an expert!! smile What is the easiest way to empty out a quart or so?? Never messed with a transmission before. I don't think I want to add it without taking some fluid out.

Thanks everyone for your help. Got a pump and 1/4" tube and pumped it right out from the top!! Worked slick as snot!! Got the Lucas treatment in, now the tranny should be good for another 170,000!!! smile