• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garden Picts?

Got a little something for ya Deitz;

img2307pj.jpg

My wifes "Stony Point" garden. I like it earlier in the season when the Lake Superior stones are still visible.

img2302e.jpg

She also has a bunch of annuals around the "Venni-Dome" (Two deer enter,no deer leave) wink

img2310v.jpg

It's just a small salsa garden, birds eye view.

Looking good Deitz. Your lawn also looks barefoot worthy, although I found one of my dogs hidden gems last weekend barefootin, yuck. smile

Be glad you weren't out on a hot day, mouth open, sweat in the eyes with the trimmer and find those gems.

Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT taste like chicken.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT taste like chicken.

OMG... TMI!!!!!

I dont own a dog.. so my yard for the most part is pretty safe.. we are a corner lot though and are left "Gifts" from local neighbors from time to time though on the corner.

Duffman.....nice yard.....lots of perenials.

I have peppers and tomatos under the agribond cover.Plus 14 hills of watermelon and 13 hills of cantalope,honeydew,santa claus,and galia melons under the clear plastic row cover in the back.

I put in a lot of time out there.....easy now that I'm retired.Everything in.....lots of eating the next 3 months.Eating peas,radishes,romaine,ruhbarb,and lots of strawberries.

Now it's time for the wife to watch it while I spend the next 5 days in Ontario.

Did your folks really do that themselves, Duffman? That's really nice water work.

No, the pond is the work of hired help. I just focused on the pond in the pics, there's another half dozen flower gardens around. My folks are retired and do all the maintenence and upkeep for the pond and the multitude of flower gardens in the yard. But when it comes to the heavy stuff, they support the local economy. New koi in the pond this year, something ran off with the three two pounders they had during this past winter/spring.

Evidently you like to run the tiller up and down the rows.Lots of wasted space there.Wide rows that you can reach from either side are more efficient.Only the corn needs wide rows.

But to each his own.....looks real nice.

Seemed like it.. But hey, a garden is all about what you want.. not what others want..

Saturdays are often a garden day here.. its fun.. we added some new babies to the family..

A rose bush.

IMG_1884.jpg

Cardinal Flower(Lobelia) and Verbena(Lantana)

IMG_1883.jpg

New hanging basket(Petunias ect)

IMG_1885.jpg

And while not new.. they look nice right about now... (Delphinium)

IMG_1887.jpg

I thought what I said might be considered a shot.....Sorry.....not meant to be a shot at anyone.......it is just pointing out that wide rows use up more space than single rows.Why have most of your garden in pathways unless you like to run the tiller up and down between them to make weeding easier.

Plus wide rows allow plants to shade the ground with their leaves,which then requires less water.

Look at the third picture Dietz put up for me......behind the peas is a wide row containing....48 onion plants,12 kohlrabi,10 cauliflower,4 broccoli,6 Bok choi,18 romaine heads and 6 red cabbage,plus double rows of seeded romaine,radishes,carrots,and beets.All in the space of a single row with wide paths.

My tomatoes are also double wide with 26 plants in double rows reachable from either side.Same with 16 double wide pepper plants.

The peas are in 12 inch wide rows along both sides of the trellis and next to them is a 5 ft wide row of green beans.Easily reachable from either side.

My strawberry beds are also 5 feet wide.

I learned this 25 years ago from the Natioal Gardening Assoc.where I was a field tester for new varieties.

While I often plant veggies in rows, I space them so the foliage at maturity essentially covers the whole space. As mentioned, it helps retain moisture and shades out weeds.

Since we live on ledge rock up here on the hill in Ely, I've built five raised veggie beds (so far). Most are roughly 4x8 so I can reach the middle of them from either side. One, about 6x12, I can just barely reach the middle on, so it's got corn in it, which doesn't need much tending.

I took Ken's comments as being helpful. And I agree with Deitz. Gardening is to satisfy myself, so I do things the way I like them. The raised beds are a necessity for me, but for anyone willing to put up with the added work of building them, they do warm faster in spring, and you don't have to bend over as far to weed/thin/harvest. They are great to rest cold frames on, too.

Great pics, everyone! I'll put some up later this summer, when things are looking really nice in the veggie patches.

Space is not an issue for us. Watering is not issue either. I understand and accept your suggestions but to this day, we've not had a problem with our garden producing a bountiful harvest. I like the clean look and my 82 year old father-in-law still likes to putz in the garden and the extra space is helpfull. Last year we ended up with far more beans than we intended and backed off a few rows to catch up.