• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barn Swallows

LwnmwnMan2

I've got a couple of commercial properties where Barn Swallows keep building their mud nests under the canopies over the entrance doors.

I know the benefits of these birds, but I also know the benefits of not having bird [PoorWordUsage] fall on customers as they walk into these properties.

I can knock the next down, but then they build it again.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to detract these birds from building these nests where they are?

The only way I've ever heard of being successful at getting rid of them is to keep knocking down the nests as they built them. Labor intensive, and maybe not as practical since they are commercial properties you don't live at.

Sounds crazy, but the plastic owls hanging up near the nests work very well at keeping them away.

I know that trick, but they're at the entrance to a Subway, hair shop and pizza joint.

I'm not sure the landlords would like big plastic owls right there. laugh

Can't be any worse than the [PoorWordUsage] on the sidewalk as the customers are walking in either, I suppose.

My dad works for a property maintenance company and his company just installed 1600' of netting on some townhouses. I guess its supposed to work. Don't know what it looks like but its close enough to you Jeremy where you could drive by and take a look. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the address of the town homes....its right by my house in FL there.

Installing plastic or stainless steel birds spikes at the junction where the wall meets the home keep the swallows from getting a foothold on the wall and attaching their nesting material.

Installing plastic or stainless steel birds spikes at the junction where the wall meets the home keep the swallows from getting a foothold on the wall and attaching their nesting material.

Hey, neat. I'm going to look into those. Never heard of them. Thanks! smile

I always had a problem with swallows building nests in the corners of my boat lift under the canopy. About 8 years ago or so some one told me to put "Crest Mint Gel" toothpaste in the corners and that will keep them away. So from then on when I put the boat lift out in the spring and put the canopy on I run a bead of that toothpaste on the top of the bottom rail for the canopy where it curves in the corners and I have never had a nest. I don't know if this will work in your situation but you may want to give it a try. Make sure it is "Crest Mint Gel". Others don't seem to work as well.

I remember reading something about this and I think it was as simple as spraying a vinegar water solution. But of course I can't find it and it could have been something like ammonia and water. Spend a little time Bining or doing the Google and I bet you can come up with something. I may have read it on the boat forum where someone was trying to get them off the boat lift canopy.