• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 115 Opti or EFI 4-Stroke

MikeEiden

I've found a few options to repower my 17.5' Tracker Targa WT (currently w/ 75hp Merc 2-stroke) and wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on the two choices. I have no experiences with either.

From internet searchers I've seen that the 115 Opti has a coil issue with them burning out and leaving people stranded. Not sure how many Opti's are plagued with this. Also how quiet is the Opti?

I haven't seen really any reliability issues for the 115 EFI 4-stroke as of yet but I've heard they are dogs as far as performance goes. I've also never heard one of these motors but I'm guessing their pretty quiet.

Any stories or experiences on performance, reliability, quietness, etc on these motors are greatly appreciated and of course suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

I would go with the 4 stroke. The 4 stroke a Dog? On your boat you will fly. Why not Yamaha? I have the F115 on my lund Explorer 1700 and have nothing but praises for it. It has More power than I have ever needed!

I currently have a Merc on the boat and was told I'll be able to use my controls, wiring, and even my props on the Opti. I have to check on the 4-strokes but I'm assuming it would be similar case. I would consider a Yamaha but I would have to figure out how much more it would cost me for the extras. Heard a lot of good things about Suzuki and actually rod in a guides boat that had a 225 on it. Very impressed with how quiet that thing was! Just to many options and don't know how deep to dive into it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Don't own one of either, but hade ridden in boats with them and witness them. A guy on our lake has a 115 4 stroke Merc on his pontoon, and holy cow is it quiet. He came by me and I thought he was drifting, until I saw the telltale water stream.

If you plan to ski at all, I would highly favor the Opti. Even gas use is pretty comparable to 4 stroke from reading old reviews. But for quiet, the 4 stroke is the way to go. With that said, even the Opti is a lot quieter than an older 2 stroke or my efi 2 stroke.

The other brand motors I think are great these days as well, but I love my black motors, even at 13 and 30 years old... wink

Thanks for the input guys. I really wish I could tryout or do a side by side comparison with each motor. I'm a little gunshy with power since I've lived with an underpowered setup for a while so that's why I was leaning towards the Opti. But from what I hear the quietness and troll-ability of the 4-stroke is appealing; especially with the family on board.

Well keep the posts coming. I find then helpful and really reassuring that I can't make a bad decision between the two. I just need to decide what's most important.

I have a '06 Merc 115 4stroke on my 17.5' Crestliner Sport Angler (a good sized deep V boat) and it will do 43 MPH with the GPS. It can yank me out of the water on a slalom ski. I like that its quiet but still not as quiet as my brother-in-laws '03 115 Yamaha 4stroke. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him turn the key to start his when it was already running. grin

My Father-in-law has an '04 Merc 150 Opti on his Crestliner and it flies but it is very loud even when idling. Maybe they are quieter now.

Nels

Thanks Nels. That's some great comparison info.

I made some calls checking on pricing and the Crystal Pierz in Brainard had some great prices and the gentalman on the phone was helpful. He said back in the day early 4-strokes were heavier and therefore seemed a little more sluggish out of the hole but now they are fairly comparable. It was about $500 more for the 4-stroke versus the Opti. His vote was for the Opti since it is cheaper up front, easier and less cost to maintain, and that there is a little more torque. He said they are fairly quiet. It seems everyone has their own perception on the noise level. My carbed 2-stroke Merc is a screamer so anything will be in a improvement.

Hard to believe that once I went outside the GR I found these motors about $2400 cheaper! I just don't get it. So far I'm thinking Opti but I have about a week before I can get down there and get a motor installed. So who knows what will change in the mean time!

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

I'm surprised that he said easier and less cost to maintain. I've had a 2-stroke and I think the 4-strokes are easy to maintain. I change the oil and filter myself, once a year, as well as the gear lube in the lower unit. I check the oil occasionally and I've never had to add oil to my 4-stroke. With my 2-stroke it seemed like I was constantly adding oil. It also burns a lot less gas than my father-in-laws opti but that is a 150.

Nels

Hard to believe that once I went outside the GR I found these motors about $2400 cheaper! I just don't get it.

I assume you checked with T&M Marine? I thought I recall them having some good deals on factory seconds Merc motors last year.....not sure if they still have them or not.

Actually I forgot about T&M marine. I'll have to give them a call just to check. If not then Brainard isn't to bad of a drive.

Nels that makes sense to me. It seems like I have to add oil fairly frequent with my current 2 stroke. And I do all my own maintenance on everything we own. Now you got me thinking again! Next Tuesday is my day off so I have until then to figure it out.

Thanks again guys for the input.

I have 2 friends that run similar Alumacrafts, both 2000, or 01's. Not sure of models, both around the same size/weight. Both are running mercury's, one runs the 115 4 stroke and the other runs the 2 stroke. The 115 seems to be very fuel efficient and quiet, but isn't comparable to most 2 strokes in pound-for-pound output and torque. The 2 stroke outperforms the 4 stroke hands down, with twice the noise however. When both boats are loaded with 2-3 people and gear the 2 stroke has a much better holeshot and top end speed. Neither motor has ever left us sitting, and I think either choice would be reliable and worth every penny.

Well this coming Tuesday I will be heading over to T&M Marine to get my new 115 four stroke installed. The wife really wants the quiet part of the deal and I don't blame her. They actually were the best priced I have found and I've called a lot of places lately, plus they were the only ones interested in taking my trading in. I mentioned roughly what I would like to get for my old 75hp and they said they could do that with no hesitation.

So thanks to everyone for the suggestions and input. Now I have to find time to enjoy the new power.

Enjoy it Mike! I heard an opti and 4 stroke next to each other this past weekend, and the difference in noise level was pretty evident. Both great motors, I think you made a good choice in keeping wifey happy wink

Well I hate to say it but I didn't get the 'WOW' factor with the new power plant. I definitly need to get the set up dialed in yet which I posted about a few minutes ago but still it stinks to spend that kind of money and think "Ah, it's alright." Don't get me wrong the motor is nice but the hole shot is a little weak. Once the rpm's get up there a little the motor comes to life but it doesn't jump right up. The dealer said that is a difference with 4 strokes versus the Opti. I do run 10mph faster and gets there in a hurry.

Also I was told it would troll down nice, maybe 1.5mph well I still run fast at 2.6mph or faster; so that was a little disappointing. I'm hoping once I get things figured out I'll be much more satisfied. I have yet to put the whole family in the boat and see how it does and that's the reason for upgrading.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll update if I get things figured out.

Yeah that is a disadvantage of the 4 stroke...it will not come out of the hole like a 2 stroke simply because it is just not making as much torque until later in the powerband. However, I have a 60 merc efi 4 on my boat and I love the motor because it's quiet, smooth and is REALLY good on gas. From a trolling aspect, mine won't do 1.5mph either...its between 2 and 2.5.

Picking the right prop is key on these motors. I was getting way too much slip with the stock aluminum prop (10.38 x 13) but it would pul all the way to 6 grand. I just put on a Michigan Wheel 10.5 x 13 and it comes out of the hole way better and stays on plane at 500 less rpm than before. However I now pull 5500 to 5600 rpm trimmed with 2 people and 5400 with 3 so I am on the edge of what Merc recommends. I did pick up 2 MPH though.

Hope you get it sorted!

I have a Merc 115 4 stroke and was not impressed at first. I think that part of it was that I had really high expectations from all that I had read and was told by the salesman. After the break-in period the idling is much better and the motor is smoother during acceleration and running on-plane. The biggest improvement for the hole shot was changing propellers. Started out with an aluminum 13.25" x 19, went to a Stainless 13.25" x 17 pitch. I did not notice any change in the top end speed.

Call Soderbloom's and talk to them about what you have and what you would like to achieve. I was running 5800 WOT with the aluminum and now run 6000 WOT with the stainless.

Well I hate to say it but I didn't get the 'WOW' factor 4. .

if you havnt had it 3 days take it back

go get an e-tec then you have power

and i think wife will be albe to stand the noise

as you said for that kinda of money

i dont know how much it was but

i know that feeling

with more weight will be more disappointment

i just got took on 20k in a business related deal and it hurts

3 day return law in mn i'm sure

you also might be albe to go to a 125 cuz they are lighter

and no bolengy bout break in take it out and run it

i have a 150 on 1800lb boat never lose site over that bow

and no monkeying around with changing props etc etc

and also depending on your boat with a little chop you can troll with it

i jusr wouldnt consider running something else to i'm proven wrong on all points

Well I finally got out with the wife and 2 kids with (I have 3 total that normally come with). This was the first time the wife has been in the boat with the new motor and wanted to get her impression. The hole shot was HORRIBLE! It literally dragged butt pushing water until the rpms get up over 4000. WOT dropped 200rpms and lost 3mph compared to just me in the boat. I called T&M Marine from the water and talked to another sales guy. The one I bought the boat from wasn't in. He said a prop change should help and basically that 4 strokes need to be rev'ed to perform. And that they don't just jump out of the hole like a 2 stroke. This thing doesn't hop, skip, trot, nothing.

Today is day 3 so who knows about returning it. I asked him over the phone what if this prop change doesn't perform? He said they could order an Optimax for me then but that they are so back ordered that I wouldn't see it all summer. The other sales guy didn't say anything about that when I first mentioned I wanted the Opti. I didn't have high expectations going into this motor; thinking I can fly across the water. But I did expect a more marginal increase in hole shot compared to an old 75 two stroke.

Sorry to say but I just don't think the 4 stroke was the motor for me. We'll see how things pans out but my excitment has been deflated into more of regret.

Greg the motor was $7500 in case you're curious. An Optimax runs $7100...

you need a 115 optimax pro xs to really be happy and satisfy your power needs. That motor dyno's at 123hp at the prop. If you keep the 4 stroke its still not the end of the world. After the break in period that motor should wake up a little bit. Making sure the motor is propped right is the biggest issue.