• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weed trimmer thougths....

Stratosman

Hey - in the market for a weed trimmer. I was looking at something mid range like the Stihl, I think they have two homeowner types for under $200 or so. Then I was looking at a couple of the 4 stroke types. Not sure what to go with, I know what I am getting with the Stihl, but how about the 4 stroke engines, what brand has the best 4- stroke option in your opinions? This would be light use around the yard..

Thanks, just want the best bang for the buck and don't want to throw it away in 4 years.

Personally, I wouldn't use a 4 stroke.

We had one once and it burned up in 4 days.

What would happen is we would turn it at all different angles and the oil wouldn't oil the engine.

There's a reason that 98% of the commercial LCO's are running 2 stroke equipment.

I have had an Echo for about 6 years now and haven't had any problems. The Stihl's are very good as well, and I would definitely consider them if I were purchasing again.

I second the echo They make pretty much the best Trimmer IMHO. They also have a 5 year warranty compared to 1 or 2 with the Stihl. Not knocking the Stihl as they are great too. Just I rather have a better warranty for the same or less money.

I've been using a Stihl 4 stroke KombiSystem for a few years now. That's the one where you can put various attachments like trimmers, edgers, and pole saws on the same powerhead. It works great, even though it is a 4 stroke engine, you run the same pre-mix gas as any other Stihl engine, 2 or 4 stroke. There is no crankcase oil, so there is no issue of wrecking it by running it upside down.

My only issue is that I got the straight-shaft trimmer with it, and I think that a curved shaft trimmer is easier to use.

The way that it was described to me was that it was a 4 stroke engine, with intake and exhaust valves and cycles, but instead of having a crankcase with oil sitting in it, they somehow get a bit of the fuel-oil mixture on the components that need lubrication to lubricate them.

I know that it sounds like a 4 stroke engine, and my Stihl blower and chainsaw sound like 2 strokes (they are), but I put the same fuel in all of them.

I have been using a Toro brand for over 10 yrs and last year my 1st one finally died. I say finally because I have been wanting a newer model for the past 3 yrs, but the first one just wouldn't give up. It finally go to the point that it needed all new gas lines and primer ball. The expense to do that was half the price of a new one... SO, The new one has not given me any problems. I really like how simple it is.

I have a Stihl FS 55 R. Paid about $220. It is straight shaft, which is important is you are over six feet tall. I really like it; starts easy, plenty of power and not too heavy.

Sort of related... I used to work on golf course - weed whacked more than any person ever should. Now I have one rule, that my wife hates, but it is this ... I don't weed whack, period. smile I set up the yard as best I can to avoid the need, but I will not, ever, weed whack again. Hehehe, she does it now, or I pay a neighborhood kid to do it. But not me. I will wash windows, rotate tires, wash clothes, do anything but weed whack. I hate it more than anything wink

We have been using a four-stroke Honda for five or six years. No trouble. Sorry but I don't understand the references to "....four stroke but you still mix oil and gas..." First time I've heard of that type engine??

Please enlighten me.

From Stihl's HSOforum...

STIHL 4-MIX® technology - the logical next step in engine technology

The revolutionary STIHL 4-MIX® engine is the first mixture-lubricated 4-stroke engine from STIHL and combines the advantages of 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines in a single unit. Unlike conventional 4-stroke engines, which require separate systems for the fuel supply and engine lubrication, the new STIHL 4-MIX® engine is fuelled with the new 4-MIX® fuel mixture. Like all our engines, the 4-MIX must also meet with the basic STIHL principles: simple, reliable and robust. Read on to find out more about the other characteristic properties of 4-MIX® engine technology:

The featherweight among 4-stroke engines

Since it is lubricated by the fuel mixture, the STIHL 4-MIX® engine can dispense with such parts as the oil pump, oil tank and oil pan needed by conventional 4-stroke engines. This makes the unique STIHL 4-MIX® engine a real featherweight.

Easy-to-service engine

Lubrication by the fuel mixture also makes annoying, time-consuming service work - such as regular adjustment of the valve clearance, oil checks, oil changes and disposal of the waste oil - unnecessary with the compact STIHL 4-MIX® engine.

Easy to start

So that the STIHL 4-MIX® engine can start easily, a decompression system has been installed in the engine to prolong the valve opening times when starting. This considerably reduces the effort required for starting the machine.

Fewer emissions

Because the fuel burns with fewer residues, emissions from the STIHL 4-MIX® engine are already more than 25 percent lower than the stringent ceiling imposed by EU regulations which will come into force for small engines in 2007.

Less noise

Even the sound of the new 4-MIX® engine is agreeable - particularly when running at maximum level. The effect is advantageous, especially when the machine is used frequently. Whoever spends several hours a day working with a power tool will appreciate the pleasant running noise.

More power

The 4-MIX® engine is powerful. Its enormous lugging power, high reliability and long service life make the robust 4-MIX engine ideal for a whole variety of uses.

Conclusion:

The 4-MIX® engine which is already used in STIHL brushcutters, hedge trimmers, pole pruners and the CombiSystem represents a major step towards the future in engine technology. It combines the best properties of 2-stroke and 4-stroke concepts in a single engine: it is lighter than a 4-stroke engine, very much more compact, operates in all positions, but with the same low emissions and quietly. In addition, STIHL power tools already conform to EPA requirements and remain distinctly below the specified emission ceilings in some cases.