• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

planting birds

Ryan_V

I want to work with my dog a little in the very near future. I found a guy that sells chuckars and then a guy that sells pheasants, both are the same price so i'll just buy a few pheasants.... my question is, when I buy these birds and use them for training, am I allowed to shoot them or not??? I will be on my own property if that matters. I want to introduce shotguns. I've been working her up and I think she's ready. I'm really excited for the season, this dog is going to be great!!!

thanks

I believe you will need to get a dog training form from the DNR. They are free. You can download it and mail it to them. It should take a few weeks to get in back. You can shoot birds on private land only. If you are shooting pheasants they need to be marked with some sort of ribbon or paint to indicate they are not wild birds. I would hang on to the receipt from the game farm as well.

Another bird training method that I like to do is trim one of the birds wings so it can't fly and turn them loose, and then let the dog learn to trail them. I've done it mainly with pigeons, which are pretty dumb and don't walk far, but it really gets your pup birdy. A wild pheasant would be tough for a pup to run down but maybe these game farm birds would be dumber. I would get a couple of those chukars and try it. It really makes the pup birdy!!! Also, if your pup has a soft mouth, they'll bring them back alive, you can keep them in a cage and re-use them for training.

After awhile the pup learns to follow your scent to where the planted bird is, so then I drive my truck along a trail and toss the trimmed winged bird out the window. Give it 20 minutes and then take pup for a walk thru that area. You'll know when he picks up the bird scent!!

When planting pheasants you can tuck their head under a wing and place them on the ground on that wing side. Then brush them gently on the breast 10-12 times. They'll fall asleep and if you leave quietly they will stay there for 5-10 minutes. Try to place them in an area with good cover so they won't feel exposed and run/fly off. Wear rubber boots & gloves to keep your scent to a minimum. Also, try to keep them separate from the pup in transit. After a while the pup will catch on. If he can see you plant them he'll run right to the spot.

They are very smart and will follow scent or watch you and go right to the birds. You'll be amazed how quickly they figure it out.

A wild pheasant would be tough for a pup to run down but maybe these game farm birds would be dumber. I would get a couple of those chukars and try it.

You can just pull the flight feathers from a pheasant and you will be just fine. I wouldnt suggest letting a young dog lose on a bird just yet. Try to hobble the bird first, and just do some short drags with the bird.

tie it to a rope and drag it on the ground and dont let the dog see the drag. start short, maybe 10ft or so then gradually work up to some longer drags. eventually you be able to just pull the flight feathers, and let the bird go and get some really long good tracking done.

tracking is one of those things you dont want to over train though. maybe 2 or 3 drags a session so they dont get bored with it.

As for pigions and chuckars, unless you know you got some good flyers which is rare for both of those, I would only plant them in a bird launcher. Wait for your dog to point, and if it remains steady dont pop that launcher. the second that dog moves be sure to launch that bird into the air with the launcher.

I also suggest the launcher to start with, so your dog doesnt learn to reach in and grab the birds. as I mentioned chuckars and pigeons arent prone to always flushing so I always error on the safe side when I plant them to use a launcher. I also then dont have to dizzy them, put the head under the wing etc. or worry about the dog catching them. Plant them, launch them and they fly.

Ryan - you should come out to Major Avenue Hunt Club, sort of near you - in June - when we have a Fun Trial. I'll bet they would let you tag along and watch the bird planters - you would really learn a lot. I know that I've learned a great deal about planting birds training with my Springer group.

Go with chukars they are not considered a game bird in minnnesota and can be taken year around on private land I am not for sure if you would need any kind of a permit you are going to have to make a call .