• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Orioles are a coming

micpic

Jason, that's a 2"pvc pipe with a cap on it. To that i screwed a plastic jar lid to it and filled it with grape jelly. What's nice about that is you can just pop off the pipe cap with the lid screwed to it and take it in and wash and refill it.

I also have a liquid feeder that they use and fill that with a mix of one cup sugar to six cups water. Use yellow and red food coloring to make it orange.

I need to work on the perch to cover the feeder part and make it look more natural.

Mike

Thanks for sharing your oriole pics! Very handsome male of the species. We're ready and waiting for them to appear in SC MN but aside from a few scattered unconfirmed reports, nada. Good to know they're getting closer.

Just had a female at the feeder in Rochester. Ate jelly. My feeder is a plastic flowerpot saucer hanging from a tree branch by the wires off an old hanging basket.

Now if I can keep the woodpeckers off the sugarwater feeder.....

Do NOT use food coloring to sugar water feeders! It is unnecessary and possibly harmful. (Jury is out on the potential negatives, but it certainly isn't necessary.)

A quick google search will give you lots of reading.

I'm basically getting lazier so no longer color the nectar. Cuts into my nap time. Will just say it's an unnecessary step and leave it at that. One thing that is necessary however is keeping the feeders clean. Dirty feeders have been shown to put birds at greater risk for disease. You wouldn't eat off the same plate or drink out of the same glass you've shared with someone else for a couple weeks, would you? wink Immersing the feeders in a 9:1 hot water:bleach solution works, a brush to clean inside helps, followed by a thorough rinsing with hot water and drying. One thing I do is to have a couple sets of feeders. It allows me to have a clean one ready to go to replace the dirty one which can then be cleaned at my leisure.

PS - first oriole was singing here this a.m.