• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Redhorse sucker Tips

Yesterday I saw what looked like redhorse sucker feeding off something on the bottom in the shallow rocks. I was thinking of giving it a try to catch some of them. What do you guys think they were feeding on? What would you guys use to catch them?

Thanks for any help,

Muskieboy

Something to keep an eye out for:

I saw suckers spawning at a marina in Mille Lacs about a week ago. If they're spawning, they're not feeding.

Seeing them spawn is truly awesome.. A bunch of small males swim alongside a female, and eventually they all start to vibrate like CRAZY for 3-5 seconds to make the female release eggs. I've read about sturgeon doing this, and didn't know until just recently that so do suckers!

I went out with some worms tonight. I kept getting caught on the rocky bottom so I switched to a bobber and ended up catching some Tubilee. First time i've ever caught them. They fought pretty good. I might give it another try later this week. Thanks for the tips.

muskieboy

Looking at a couple websites, it looks like they spawn over shallow rocks and gravel, not unlike walleyes. If you were in a place with very low current and lots of rocks/gravel, they wight have been tullies.

This was after 2 mins of reading, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I caught a few redhorse Monday, but I am a bit further north. The white suckers have all moved on and out, they are spawning or preparing to and not feeding, but the redhorse bite around here is just heating up. Lindy rig and a crawler is all you need.

Thanks for the correction!

Yeah they did bleed a lot. And they seemed like wimps after being caught. I would take them off and toss them in the water and they just chilled upside down on the bottom. Only had them out of the water a couples seconds.

here you go onafly.....straight from the mn dnr HSOforum "tullibees spawn each fall over rock and gravel beds in shallow water." i know its late and we found out its a moon eye just showin that they wouldnt be spawning right now cause its not fall.