• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tool kit/must haves when going for a ride...

bmc

My wife and I are going on a 4 wheeler ride this weekend, in the mines NE of Grand Rapids. 1st time we've done this so I'm trying to get some must have gear together. Not planning on doing any rough riding as my wife has back trouble.

My ATV is a Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4. I've got a winch on the front, y brackets on the front rack, ram mount for gps on the handlebar, windshield, and tow hitch/ball on the back.

Besides the tool kit that comes with it, what else is a must have when going for a day ride? The cooler and beer is taken care of! grin

Thanks,

Brian

I'll second what Sherpa said. Lots of Plugs and a small air compressor that will plug into you cigarette lighter plug in. Thats saved my butt many times. I'll add a small socket set, both SAE and Metric since Polaris's use both. Flashlight with Batterys. Knife. Screwdriver, flat and phillips. Trox bits, Polaris use a lot of these type of fasteners, sometimes they come lose when riding; ie the racks. Allen wrenchs too.

One more thing is a tow rope/strap and maybe a can of fix-a-flat.

If your only taking one rig, don't forget the cell phone if it will comein up there. You can always call guys with tools! Vise grips are always a good thing and I fill my tires with the green slime stuff so it may help get me back at least. Have fun! grin I have to finish painting the bedroom before i can go! frown

Remember to bring your camera too! Not really a tool but I always forget mine and wish I had it along :-)

For the real tools I usually carry a tree strap and snatch block for the winch, a patch and plug kit with mini Air compressor for the tires and multi tip driver handle with assorted drive bits and a vice lock pliers. If I am out fishing in deeper snow I always throw a little collapsable camping - army shovel in as well for when there is nothing to winch to and your hung on a drift.

I have a compact bicycle pump instead of a compressor. Takes a little longer but takes up less space. I also have a good pair of binoculars and don't forget duct or gorilla tape. I also carry a 50 ft 3/8 rope. A flash light is always along too. Have a great ride.

I probably carry way too much, but I try to carry everything I might need because often our rides are multi-day, and often go pretty far from camp. We've had some pretty strange situations happen and/or come across over the years, but to date had what ever we needed to handle them.

So to start off, I carry much of the same gear as a lot of you like the tow strap and tire plugs and compressor, GPS and maps, and cell phone. Add to that a roll of toilet paper, bug spray, binoculars and a portable spotlight. In my tool kit I have a small socket set, common wrenches and screw drivers, a super leatherman, hammer and nails. I keep it stocked also with electrical wire and tape, miscellaneous connectors, small hose clamps and a tube of hand cleaner. I have an assortment of common nuts and bolts, wire ties and the ever popular duct tape. I also carry some wheel studs and nuts, extra spark plug. Spare batteries for the GPS and 2-way radios we all use. I keep 2 quarts of oil and a filter and a tube of silicone. I carry 3.2 gallons of spare gas. In a sheath mounted on my front rack, I keep one of those quick use folding saws that are VERY handy to have.

I also have an "extended trip pack" for remote rides that has a tarp to construct a shelter if necessary, a camp stool, an emergency blanket, first aid kit. I have a mess kit, some canned food, spare quart of water, a propane burner and a stubby propane cylinder. In addition to these things I carry a complete change of dry clothes and a towel. All in all, its not what a person would normally carry on an average day ride but its still a good idea to have some of these things with or at least in the truck back at the trail head or shack.

One more thing that is important. Is a wind breaker jacket, and GLOVES. Even at 50-60 degrees it gets pretty cold on bare hands/skin.

Heres the full list that I bring with:

Jacket

Bug Spray

Paper Towel

Trash Bag

Gloves(to keep hands warm when the sun goes down)

Water(or something to drink)

Goggles(it gets dusty riding ATVs)

Socket Set

Wrenchs

Cresent Wrench

Needle Nose Pliers

Lineman Pliers

Black Electrical Tape

Trox Sockets

Screw Drivers Flat and Phillips

Allen Wrenchs

Flashlight

Batterys

Lots of Tire Plugs(about 20 of them)

Small Air Compressor

Can of Fix a Flat

Spare Can of Gas

Small set of Jumper Cables; because a Sportsman 700 doesnt have a back up pull start

Tow Strap

Small Tarp; in case if it rains

Camera

That all I can think of for now.

Thanks for the input guys!!! We had a great ride (30 miles and lots of mud) and didn't need any of my assembled tool kit, other than the tow strap, to pull a guy on a racing type wheeler through the mud holes.

My wife laughed at me, saying I brought too much stuff. Everything I brought fit into my small Mad Dog DU shotgun shell bag. I told her it's all fun and games till something breaks and you don't have the resources to fix it. LOL

Brian