• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team 6 "BEARD TRIMMERS"

Jim916

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the winning group duckhunter! The Black Hills is a pretty popular destination in the spring...for good reason. Ever hunted there before?

No I haven't ever tried out there before. My sis and brother in law just got stationed at the Air Force base in Rapid City so I figured that I should take advantage of their couch before I start work again. Any good tips on where to try and where not to go?

duck, wish I could be of more help. I hunt the edge of the Black Hills (near Sturgis) in the fall. The area I hunt is NOT part of the Black Hill zone.

I do think there are birds prety much anywhere and everywhere in the hills. Look for creek bottoms and drainages where there may be some sort of consistant water supplies. Look for areas with more than one type of terrain as in pines with oak draws or flats.

I also think the Merriams are much more vocal than our Easterns. Don't be afraid to move if you don't hear any right away. A good plan may be to drive down the road and stop to listen every half mile or so.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: DonBo
Welcome to the winning group duckhunter! The Black Hills is a pretty popular destination in the spring...for good reason. Ever hunted there before?

No I haven't ever tried out there before. My sis and brother in law just got stationed at the Air Force base in Rapid City so I figured that I should take advantage of their couch before I start work again. Any good tips on where to try and where not to go?

You'll find pockets of birds through out the Black Hills. Running and gunning works very well walking the numerous logging roads with a box or crow call. Don't get to hung out on sign as these birds put on about 9-12 miles a day.

Thanks for the tips guys. Congrats on the trip donbo. I have always wondered if the vendors at sportshows and the contests that they have at Gander, FF, and Cabelas for hunting trips actually have winners. Are there any general areas that we should try in the BH or is everywhere just as good.

So yesterday I checked out this new 120 acre piece of property I just received permission to hunt. All I can say is WOW, what a beautiful chunk of land. It's only about 10 minutes from my home here in the metro and just a few miles from the spot I've been hunting for a couple years now. I'll be out early tomorrow morning listening for any toms that might be sounding off-then we'll know how good it really is.

Good luck to all you guys who get to start next week! Hope you get a chance for some last minute scouting this weekend. Let us all know how it goes.

I have had the calls out and I am not usually one to pat myself on the back, but I am petty sure that I screwed up my should pattin' away - I am sounding good. Pretty sure I had one trying to get in my basment.

A few more days and off we go!

Good Luck and a safe hunt to all!!!

DL

Sat on my new spot this morning. At least two different toms sounding off from my property and two other not too far away. Sure was good to hear some gobbling again! smile Nine more days for me.

Sat on another of my new properties this morning. Had three of them gobbling from right on top of me. smile Snuck out of there before they flew down so they wouldn't be able to bust me.

Eight days and counting...

Busted three Gobblers Fri morning at 6:30. Didn't see them at first light but by noon had them in my view at a 100 yards from my set up Wednesday morning.

Heading back up tomorrow and putting them to bed. Signs sure look good for the opener.

Good luck team.

Guys, don't forget to bring your camera and this form. Read the rules and print out this form before going afield. If anyone needs help posting photos, let me know.

Good luck!!!

Turkey Contest 2010

Complete this form with your turkey’s measurements. Include photos of your turkey’s spurs and beard with a ruler or tape measure. Include in one of the photos your turkeys filled out tag or slip of paper with the date of the harvest. The turkey’s weight must be witnessed and signed by you and the witness below on this form.

Forum Member:____________________ Date:_____________

Team Name: _________________________________

Youth Hunter(17 or younger):Yes _______ No ________

Turkey Subspecies: _____________________

State/Province Bird was Harvested In: ____________________

Turkey’s Stats

Beard Length ____________inches

Spur Length ® _________inches (L)_________inches

Weight ___________ pounds

The certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: ________________________ Date:_________

Witness: _____________________________ Date:_________

What do you do with the completed form. That is if I have anything to put on it?

There will be a submission thread going. Just post it there with the pix.

Hey Guys,

Jim, when are you headed to your turkey ground? I am heading down Tuesday afternoon after work. I am hoping to hunt or at least try and put birds to bed. I will have buddies in the woods starting Sunday night.

I am really excited. I am introducing turkey hunting to a buddy of mine that I whitetail hunt with. I hope we get our birds. We had planned on bowhunting them but I believe we are going to grab the shotguns right out of the gate. For me two birds is a tall order in 3.25 days of hunting. I would really like to be fairly moble.

I am a little conserned that woody ande mcknolls haven't checked in yet. Hopefully they are slow playing a couple of big tommy's that are in turkey fryer.

Jim if you want to swap info when we are down ther e-mail me your number at [email protected] We have a land line at the farm that I can use (cell doesn't work down there,thank god). If I don't hear from you good luck and shoot him in the face.

I plan on hunting Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but I am hoping I just need Monday. I too am bringing a newbie for his first hunt.3 of the last 4 years we have had a bird the first hour and a half of our first day, so I am hoping for the same this year.

Musky456 I will send an email. my cell is spotty down there also.

Good luck guys and have a safe hunt and looking forward to some stories!!

You're done now Woody? Oh well...hope you had a good time.

Great job with your nephew! His first? How old is he?

I sat at my #1 spot again early this morning. Two toms gobbling right from where they're supposed to be. Three others on the neighboring property-close, and a boatload of others sounding off in the not to far distance. Set a blind in a hay field just 100 yards from the roost this afternoon. Two more get-ups and I'm hunting. smile

Planning on carrying my bow at least the first morning, then we'll see how it goes.