• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions about Spearing out of a pop up style fish house

bowhunt

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forums for a while but just got registered. I know there are quite a few of you that spear out of a pop up fish house, like the quickfish. I have never speared before but have wanted to for a long time. Just curious if you guys could give me some pointers on how to set up in a pop up. I figure I should get some kind of mats to cover the ice, open to suggestions if you know of where I can get some. Also how do you rig up you decoy lines, do you attach them to the poles in the roof? I still need to get a spear, ice saw or chisel and some decoys, but I figure I have all summer to get the rest of the gear.

Thanks for the help!

Bowhunt

I don't put mats down either but I do make sure I bank the sides up with as much snow as I can (reasonably). I always tie my decoy lines directly to the poles that are hanging over the hole and just cut the line and reuse it when I'm done for a day. You should definitely get a saw, it can make cutting a big hole much easier. I would also recommend ice tongs and a chisel (it's a LOT easier to pull a 100+ pound block out with tongs and the chisel makes it easy to break a reaaly big block into more manageable pieces...not that it can't be done without the tongs and chisel, it's just much, much colder and much, much heavier...trust me wink )

Thanks for the input guys. If any one else has any advice/things they have learned about spearing out of a pop up, please pass along the information, I am sure it will help me. Do certain types of chairs work better for spearing or just use a bucket?

Thanks again!

Bowhunt

If you have the means to carry it, you should really think about making a fold up floor for your pop up.

I have seen this done with plywood and 2X2s or 1X2s underneath with some outdoor carpet on top.

Fairly easy and if it saved you from once sliding into the hole it would be well worth it.

First off bowhunt welcome to the hso family and getready for a whole new addiction from spearing grin

I use a perm and a protable shack but I'm also thinking of the pop up stlye of house after seeing laska's house he has it set up really nice. He built a folding wood floor insert that keeps up off the ice a bit.

There are many differnt ways to hang your decoys. I like mine over the center of the hole so I hang mine from the rods going across on my port. I have also seen guys use clamps and rattle reels.

get what you can afford for gear and things like the ice saw dont skimp on quality I use a fishtoys saw and it has made cuttng the hole so much easier. also he is one of our sponsors.

Spears... so many so little time ... pick one that feels good to you dont let others tell you what to get..

Ice tongs shop around

decoys again so many to choose from... there are some great carvers on this site so that is an addiction all its own then theres collecting them.

Most off all dont get discouraged if you dont have any luck right away it will happen and dont be affraid to ask questions about this sport on these forms there are alot of great knowagable guys on here and they will give all the insght you need.

Can't wait for first ice... Good Luck and have fun

Welcome to HSO. Glad your part of the family.

I have a few friends that spear out of a house like this, however, its harder to keep it dark in there at all times. Have to make sure you pack it really good with snow to keep it dark around the hole!

I spear out of a QuikFish III. For whatever it's worth, here's what I do;

The spear hole fills one 1/4 of the "floor" space. I use 3 black door mats to cover up the rest of the "floor". They help to darken the house by blocking light coming up through the ice and probably make it a little warmer. I also had black canvas windows made to get the house even darker. The Quikfish has velcro on the windows so I can switch between the clear vinyl and black canvas pretty quicly.

I attach the decoy lines to the house with bungee cords. The decoy line is tied to one end of the bungee cord and the other end is wrapped/hooked to a pole.

I sit on a old green coleman cooler. You spend all day leaning forward looking down the hole so don't worry about having a back rest.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the advise guys, I am sure it will help quite a bit.

The shelter I have isn't the most expensive and the coating on the inside of the canvas doesn't seal up all of the canvas. So there are areas where a decent about of light can get through. Does anyone know of a spray on sealant that I could spray on the inside of the canvas to seal it better? I know I can tape the seams, but this is all over.

Bowhunt

I just used vinyl and upholstery paint on my 6x8 protable and it worked great but I did have to use it on both sides of the canvas.I sprayed just the inside of the house but it still showed light thru so I did the outside as well and that took care of it. You can get the stuff at most auto parts stores. as for a chair later in the season I bought a couple of the wood(ceader) fold up chairs that fit on to of a 5 gallon bucket I will try to get a pic of them tommarrow for you.

I also use the Quick Fish and it works great for spearing. I bought a piece of 4'x6' outdoor carpet and for around $15, it has been invaluable: #1, it darkens the floor, and that is very important, especially for early ice; #2, it keeps your feet warmer--another layer between you and solid ice; #3, it helps to dampen vibration and noise should you drop something or shuffle your feet incidentally, and #4, if you fish all day, your floor will start to melt out and get slippery, and the carpet prevents you from slip-sliding around. At the end of the day, it pulls right up. HINT! Let it freeze dry outside overnight (it will be quite wet when you pull it up) then bring it in and let it dry the rest of the way in the tub. Roll it back up, and there you go. I wouldn't fish without it now.

FYI

Here is Laska's post from earlier last year.

Framing and Plywood for the quick fish 3, It took me about 2 hours to put together using 7/16th ply and 2x2, Ill post more pics once I get it completed with hinges and carpet- in the midst of makin a new perm shack too, overall thing weighs about 40lbs if that, got sick of tearing up wet carpet, if you have a plastice sled to hual this thing it would be awsome

IMG00132-20091118-1111.jpg

Second pc covered in plywood

IMG00133-20091118-1213.jpg

thanks merk, havent been on in awhile, been busy with decoys, anyways if I can find a tape measure Ill post the dimensions and draw up a blue print. Didnt take me more than 2hrs to build and I have a jeep cherokee and it would fit in there with the seat down...

River has been high still, gates are still open at 5a sp fishin has been slow, still have the Ford, think heidi wants a new truck- she wants a yellow one... Who knows smile hows fishing been up there? Sent ya an invite to my HSOforum by the way, email me sometime I have some questions for ya about a new shack Im working on.

Its been along time waiting on this reply but here it is, past 3 weeks been without the ford- tranny went out, waitin on warranty repair, and I want a jeep, the bed is nice in the ranger but it doesn't fit all my stuff and I need a better seat to sit on so does heidi, overall love the truck just not right for us anymore, look for a new truck on the ice hopefully this year guys