• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

150 four strokes

erniebak

I am looking for new motor and just wandering what people thought about the 150 four strokes.This is the size I want, I just trying to figure out which brand.It will be for fishing,Maybe some tubing,but mostly fishing.

Welcome to Hot Spot Outdoors erniebak!

Are you looking at a brand in particular? Can you tell us a little bit about what you do with your boat - fishing, tubing / skiing / etc? That'll help guide the feedback you get a little bit.

marine_man

There's lots of good motors out there but if you want 150 HP 4-stroke then it'd be really hard to steer you any direction other than Yamaha --- their 150 4-stroke has been a great motor for years, basically an icon amongst outboard motors. It's a reliable motor and I think it actually puts out a bit over 150 HP, so it performs well compared to other 150 HP motors.

The Yamaha is a great motor, dyno tests rate it a 162hp average. That said, Suzuki is an awsome motor, my 175(same size as the 150) is quieter than my 115 4 stroke was. The motor also includes a battery isolator on the voltage regulator(water cooled so it doesn't overheat) so you can charge two batteries off the motor, and it will not let your cranking battery discharge too far. But there is one thing about Suzuki that is different from other OB manufacturers. Yamaha and Honda both use lower units with two stroke technology. The gear ratio on the props is 2.00:1 or 2.08:1, resulting in people complaining about no holeshot vs two strokes. Suzuki designed their lower unit for four strokes, they use 2.50:1 gear ratio. Typical Suzuki's run 2-4" more pitch than other outboards, but it pops the boat right out of the water. Just my $0.02.

I would look at a 2 stroke in the 150hp class unless you want to try and troll with the main engine. The direct inject 2 strokes will be lighter, faster and more fuel efficient than the 4 strokes. The only advantage of the 4 stroke in that hp range is less noise.

I would look at a 2 stroke in the 150hp class unless you want to try and troll with the main engine. The direct inject 2 strokes will be lighter, faster and more fuel efficient than the 4 strokes. The only advantage of the 4 stroke in that hp range is less noise.

True two strokes are lighter, about 40- 50 lbs, and they are faster, but that 2-3mph top end diffrence matters only in a tourney boat. Most people "cruise" at 3500-4500rpm, 4 stroke does better on fuel there. In the 150hp class, four strokes a 4 cylinder, two strokes are v-6, two additional cylinders burn more fuel. Another thing, in terms of fuel economy, be sure to add in the $40 to $50 a gallon oil for the DFI two strokes, and you can still smell them. Not as bad a pre-mix, but it's there. As for the old argument of two strokes being simpler (true somewhat) and more durable (false), let me piont out, both are computer controlled, and both are made on basicaly the same cnc machinery. With current manufacturing it is very easy to hold tolerance not thought possible ten years ago. But the real problem is in the design of two strokes, allow me to explain.

With a four stroke engine, there are seperate valves, intake, and exhaust. The intake is made of on type of material, to deal with the sudden drop in temprature from incomming fuel, air mixture. The exhaust valve and seat, are made of a completely different metal, their job is to get rid of exhaust gasses, and they stand up very well to the high temps, the piston, meanwhile maintains a realatively constant temprature after warmup, the excess heat being trasferred to the cylinder walls via the piston rings, and oil bath from the sump. In a four stroke engins, the piston travels down, with the intake valve open, drawing in the fuel air mixture. The piston travels up, compessing the fuel-air, ignition occurs, forcing the piston down, the piston continues back up with the exhaust valve open, evacuating the spent gasses, at the top of the piston stroke, the intake valve opens, starting thigs over.

The life of a two stroke is much less forgiving. Instead of valves, a two stroke uses ports, holes on the side of the cylinder wall. Air enters in the rear of the engine, cooling the piston, and geeting lightly compressed, this is also where oil and fuel is injected, in the crankcase, hence DFI Direct Fuel Injection. So, what happens, is at the top of the piston stroke ignition occurs, and the piston travels down, two-thirds of the way down, the exhaust ports are uncovered, and exhaust gasses begin to exit the cylinder, a very short time later, the intake ports are uncovered and fresh fuel-air is introduced (remember, it is presurized in the crankcase by downward travel of the piston) , pushing the exaust gasses out. This is where life gets hard for a two stroke. The key to making power, or even getting an engine to run is for the piston to seal the fuel-air mixture, compress it and ignite it. On a four stroke engine it is realativly simple, the piston a cylinder enjoy a realativly constant temprature. On a two stroke engine, one side of the piston os blasted with cold(realativly) air, while the other side is scorched with exhaust gasses, this makes it very hard to keep all three parts, Piston, Rings, and Cylinder round.Overload a two stroke too much, exhaust gasses heat up one side of the piston and next you have a melted piston. With a four stroke, they take a lot more loading, and they overheat, which can damage an engine but is not a definate like melting a piston. Thankfully, the onboard computers have sensors and try to prevent this from happening.

One last thing, Emissons, most outboards now have a three star rating. Most people have heard that the more stars the better, did you know that rating is only for the first 300 hrs of operation. Four stroke engines reagularly meet emission standards after 300 hrs, not so with two strokes, The smaller ones are only good for the 150 hr standards.

FYI looks like 2012 is the end of most two strokes anyhow, the OPE (outdoor power equipment) people are none too happy about it. Myself included, I like my two-stoke chainsaws and other lawn impements.

Ernie - In the future, don't edit your post with more information.. it makes it a little more difficult to follow the progression of the thread.

It will be for fishing,Maybe some tubing,but mostly fishing.

Given your information provided here, I'd follow Perchjerker's recommendation of a Yamaha...

The Suzuki's not a bad motor either... but, I'm a Yamaha guy through and through, so my nod goes to the Yamaha.

marine_man

Ernie - In the future, don't edit your post with more information.. it makes it a little more difficult to follow the progression of the thread.

Marine-man,

Are you a school teacher, why did you whack him with the ruler.... He gave you all his info up front.

From a guy that had a two stroke on his old boat, and has a four stroke on his new boat...I will never buy a two stroke motor again.

But like was said, it all depends on what you are going to use it for. I take my family out and sometimes we like to just put around the lake, that would have been unpleasant with my old motor. I have a 150 yamaha on a Alumacraft 175 tournament sport and I can get 48 out of it and still be able to have a conversation with the guy next to me. With today's motors I don't think you can go wrong, they are all built well and will last a long time if you take care of them.

You dont want to put a 4 stroke on a bass boat (unless maybe a yamaha sho) because they weigh down the boat, and dont perform as good as two-strokes (holeshot, midrange, topend) With this being said you will also have a harder time selling a bass boat with a four stroke. 95% of bass guys are not going to even consider buying a boat with a 4 stroke.

You dont want to put a 4 stroke on a bass boat (unless maybe a yamaha sho) because they weigh down the boat, and dont perform as good as two-strokes (holeshot, midrange, topend) With this being said you will also have a harder time selling a bass boat with a four stroke. 95% of bass guys are not going to even consider buying a boat with a 4 stroke.

Its all about performance on a bass boat, and the 2 strokes to it. Look at the elite series or FLW, 99% are 2 strokes, with the exception of the sho!

I also would go with a Yamaha 4 stroke. Great dependable bullet proof motor and easy to find a mechanic/parts unlike the Suzuki. I would think about a Suzuki except my buddies broke down and he waited months for parts to get to him in Duluth.

Which motor and what part was it? With Fedex getting parts anywhere in the country overnight, there must not have been one anywhere in Suzuki's system.

I have been idly considering upgrading my boat to a 4 stroke. Currently I have a black 2 stroke 115. Their 4strokes bigger than 115 are pretty heavy. There is a Suzuki dealer just down the street and that looks attractive. But things like parts and so forth are a consideration to be sure. That is why I ask.

Which motor and what part was it? With Fedex getting parts anywhere in the country overnight, there must not have been one anywhere in Suzuki's system.

I have been idly considering upgrading my boat to a 4 stroke. Currently I have a black 2 stroke 115. Their 4strokes bigger than 115 are pretty heavy. There is a Suzuki dealer just down the street and that looks attractive. But things like parts and so forth are a consideration to be sure. That is why I ask.

Im not sure what the part was and he is on spring break. You lucky dog Grant! I do know they waited a long time to get that part. He lost a better part of the season. Thats one problem with not having Suzuki dealers and shops up our way. Thats the biggest thing when buying a motor of any kind. Is there a shop by you that can fix it quickly?