• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless phone/connect to PC???

Greeting,

I live in the country and am restricted to dial up internet service, there are zero other options besides satellite and I've done research, and found nothing but negative responses. I'm wondering, when we upgrade our cell phones later this year, we might get a data plan as well....would it be possible to tether a phone to my computer for internet access??? Right now we just have an older (4-5 yrs old) desktop, but if it would work, we might look at a laptop. I'm just trying to get out of dial up, it's just getting painful!!!

Yes, it is possible to tether your cell phone to a PC but you might want to check with your cell provider to see what type of limitations they may have on monthly data usage. There will be a fee for using your phone as modem (PAM) as well.

The other option that wouldn't tie up your phone is a cell/air card for the laptop.

I have done this with my cell phone a couple of times. I have Verizon and do that now for when Ice fishing. The data plan is faster than dialup but slower than DSL. I have linked with both a cable and bluetooth. You should be able to get this setup with your cell provider.

I am demoing a Verizon product called MiFi. Works pretty good where every there is Verizon access. I was able to get up to a 1 Mb download speed and about 1/3 Mb up load speed. A lot better than I have seen with Satellite. And you can hook up to 5 devices to it typical data plans. Might be worth a looking into.

Upnorth has the perfect idea.

Also depending on your price budget, you can buy a Verizon Wireless card which acts like a permanent connection between your laptop and the internet. It used to cost around $ 50/month but data plans have changed and it might be cheaper now. Another advantage of it you can travel anywhere in the country with your laptop and wherever you have Verizon coverage you have true Internet coverage.

Be careful with the Verizon package, you get only 5 GB per month, that goes fast, I had a customer get a $200 bill for one month because of the GB limitation, they streamed internet radio and it didn't take long to rack up the usage, then add multiple users and you can see where this goes ..........

If you get a USB Modem card from Verizon or some of the other carriers, there is a company out there called Cradlepoint that makes a router ( for multiple users ) that will take the USB modem. Nice thing about this is if your coverage is iffy, you can usually install a external antenna to the USB card and increase your signal reception and in turn boost your internet speed to it fullest potential. Normally I see around a 1 - 1.3 mb connection with the Verizon USB modem. Cradlepoint also makes a router that comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for use in a car.

Definitely a good way to get high speed internet in areas that don't have access to DSL or Cable, just do your homework on the cell carriers in your area and their data packages.

Mike

Mifi's are great, I have one from Sprint, You do have to look for the 3G coverage to get faster connection speeds, Most providers have some sort of cap for consumers, as 4G becomes more prevelent the caps will go up.

PAM (Phone as Modem) plans sometimes have a cap sometimes don't, but the best thing to do is to stop into your provider's store and ask what would be best for your situation.

Wireless internet is the next wave.

WW

MiFi is a service provided by a Wireless provider like Verizon, the Access Point makes a direct connection to a cell tower. Wifi is more or a internal network where you have a router/wireless access point connected to a DSL/cable setup. In short you manage/supply Wifi, verizon manages/supplies Mifi.

Be careful with the Verizon package, you get only 5 GB per month, that goes fast, I had a customer get a $200 bill for one month because of the GB limitation, they streamed internet radio and it didn't take long to rack up the usage, then add multiple users and you can see where this goes ..........

If you get a USB Modem card from Verizon or some of the other carriers, there is a company out there called Cradlepoint that makes a router ( for multiple users ) that will take the USB modem. Nice thing about this is if your coverage is iffy, you can usually install a external antenna to the USB card and increase your signal reception and in turn boost your internet speed to it fullest potential. Normally I see around a 1 - 1.3 mb connection with the Verizon USB modem. Cradlepoint also makes a router that comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for use in a car.

Definitely a good way to get high speed internet in areas that don't have access to DSL or Cable, just do your homework on the cell carriers in your area and their data packages.

Mike

I have a Verizon UM190 USB modem. Works pretty good where there is 3G coverage, it's much slower if there is not. It's a 5GB plan, but I never come close because it's used mostly for work when I'm "in the field" and need to check email or send a few data files, etc., not as a primary use connection.

At home, I spend a lot of time on the internet and rarely get to 5GB per month according to the records my router keeps, but then I don't download lots big files like movies, music, etc. I do stream a couple hours of C2C every night though.

Ryan - Have you ever checked out Xtra-Tyme? They are a wireless internet provider in this area with coverage in the rural areas around Hutch. I believe their main transmitter is on top of the elevator on 5th avenue SE and they have repeaters sprinkled throughout the area. I don't know much more about them but maybe worth investigating.