• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which motor ?

jigginjim

jim,

it also depends on whether or not you do your own maintenance... if your all the water as much as I am i need to swtich the oil and stuff every so often and for a suz you have to take it all the way apart I believe, with that maybe a merc or yamaha... its all opinion in my mind

I would go with Yamaha and do the 115 if you can. Im assuming you can if your already thinking about a 90 horse.

Mercs are louder, suzuki is a pain to maintane as said above and Honda just doesnt seem to have the following they once did. Maybe because little has improved on them?

Hey Jim, go with the Merc unless you like other options, SuZ ar egood motors but maintaining could be a trick, Otherwise go for a Yamaha if thats in your options bag, Good Luck , Capt. Josh

Bought my '09 Suzuki 90hp last year. I really like it. I had the dealer do the 10 hour maintenance and then I changed the motor and gear oils at the end of the season along with the other recommended maintenance. I don't know what maintenance is difficult to do, according to those above. I'm no motor expert by any means but it wasn't hard to loosen a few screws. Maybe I'm missing something.

IMO - they are both good motors. It's a Ford/Chevy debate, even though someone will contradict that statement. Ford and Chevy owners argue 'till they are blue in the face, but the fact still remains. Both Suzuki and Mercury make great motors these days.

My first choice would be Yamaha, then Suzuki, then Mercury...

It's all about personal preference.. they all make good motors these days.

If you're looking new I'd see what kind of incentives they offer (extended warranty, etc) over the others and be sure to include that in your decision.

The service availability, while is somewhat an issue since Suzuki isn't as popular yet as Mercury or Yamaha, would be a significant factor in my decision...

marine_man

If you are definite on getting a four stroke i would go suzuki. If I was getting a merc I would have to opt for the optimax even-though its a two stroke.

Is there any reason you wont go any bigger than a 90?

if your talkin tiller I would go e-tec

i know you said four stroke

bout in a tiller a 90 on that boat is going to troll like you want

plus sitting in the back you will always be albe to see where you going

and they purrrrrrrrrr

I'd vote Suzuki or Yamaha.

Unless you're incapable of removing a couple of screws, it isn't a challenge to change oil on a Suzuki.

Suzuki, no different than changing oil in your truck, and your not laying on your back..

I vote Suzi. (oh, we are not voting?)