• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha to move ATV Mfg to the USA

Dave S

CYPRESS, Calif. - February 12, 2010 - Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (YMC) today announced plans to transfer its all-terrain vehicle (ATV) production currently in Japan to the United States. With this transfer, the production capacity of YMC's Japanese subsidiary - Yamaha Motor Powered Products Co., Ltd. (YMPC) - will be integrated into YMC's U.S. subsidiary based in Newnan, Georgia - Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corporation of America (YMMC).

The move, currently in the planning stages, is scheduled to begin in early 2011 and is intended to optimize manufacturing capacity and improve productivity. The transfer will facilitate the consolidation of both production management and manufacturing technologies, as well as afford an increased level of responsiveness to market needs by maximizing production in the United States, the country with the largest demand for ATVs. The production transfer to Newnan, Georgia, is expected to be complete by 2013.

"We are pleased to have this additional ATV production transitioning to YMMC in Newnan, Georgia," said Mike Martinez, General Manager of ATV & SxS Operations, Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. "We expect this transition to have a positive impact on the local economic community and provide worldwide recognition for our state-of-the-art facility and its ability to produce durable and reliable off-road vehicles."

YMMC currently manufactures ATVs ranging in engine displacement from 250cc to 421cc. The production transfer will increase the facility's production lineup to include a wide range of Yamaha ATVs up to models with large 700cc engines. This transfer allows YMPC to concentrate on manufacturing generators, multi-purpose engines and golf cars, while YMMC will also continue to manufacture golf cars, personal watercraft and Side-by-Side vehicles.

And there goes the quality.......

I don't feel the quality will be sacrificed by bringing the ATV mfg to the US.

The other plus to this is while many other companies are sending work offshore or South, Yamaha is bringing it here, if not creating more jobs, securing those that are already employed in their Georgia facility.

So we have Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris and Arctic Cat all with facilities in the US. A person doesn't have to look too far to buy something made (or atleast assembled)in the USA wink

And there goes the quality.......

It didnt seem to affect our Hondas when they moved here. Its an older article, (July 10, 2007) but the Washington Post said Honda was at that time, the largest ATV manufacturer in the United States.

I'm happy top see the jobs come here as the US is the largest user of ATVs in the world.

All of the BIG brands have operations here in the US without ill effects. I don't think this move by Yamaha will be any different.

If we let the Toyota thing get us down, we might just as well ship all US manufacturing to Mexico or over seas and put the screws to the american worker/economy. smirk

All of the BIG brands have operations here in the US without ill effects. I don't think this move by Yamaha will be any different.

If we let the Toyota thing get us down, we might just as well ship all US manufacturing to Mexico or over seas and put the screws to the american worker/economy. smirk

bologna

My 98 Maxima was made in Japan. It is bulletproof, and the quality of materials are top notch.

My 05 Altima was built in the USA. It's quality is noticeably less than that of the Maxima.

I can park these cars side by side and point out defects and shoddiness on the Altima in comparison of the maxima.

Since Japanese cars have been being made here, their quality has dropped. I miss the Japanese cars of the 90's :-(

That has nothing to do with where it was built. It has to do with engineering and cost cutting.
well, you can engineer the hell out of anything, but if quality does not enforce the specs, the output is [PoorWordUsage]. (see Volkswagen built in Mexico)

And yes, since lazy stupid American assemblers are grossly over-paid, the company is forced to use cheaper material to make up the difference.

Originally Posted By: CJH
That has nothing to do with where it was built. It has to do with engineering and cost cutting.
well, you can engineer the hell out of anything, but if quality does not enforce the specs, the output is [PoorWordUsage]. (see Volkswagen built in Mexico)

And yes, since lazy stupid American assemblers are grossly over-paid, the company is forced to use cheaper material to make up the difference.

And which category do you fit in? wink Based on the context of your post, one would believe that you live in Japan.

So basically you are ripping the cheap labor for not enforcing standards and ripping the expensive labor because they are lazy. Wow. Don't even know where to start with this one........

So basically you are ripping the cheap labor for not enforcing standards and ripping the expensive labor because they are lazy. Wow. Don't even know where to start with this one........

yes; no.

ok, I'll take back the lazy part. (I'm being a smart A)

My point being, on the second part, that the higher cost of labor has to be made up for somewhere else in order to keep the car competitively priced.

I get what you are saying, but its cheaper to manufacture here than in Japan due to the current exchange rate. So they will actually be saving money here, so there isn't anything to "make up".

It smart to have some manufacturing in your largest market anyway, gets some good will.

If they exchange rate changes (which it inevitably will at some point)........

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM

bologna

My 98 Maxima was made in Japan. It is bulletproof, and the quality of materials are top notch.

My 05 Altima was built in the USA. It's quality is noticeably less than that of the Maxima.

I can park these cars side by side and point out defects and shoddiness on the Altima in comparison of the maxima.

Since Japanese cars have been being made here, their quality has dropped. I miss the Japanese cars of the 90's :-(

Ummm...isn't the maxima like $5-7,000 MORE than an ALTIMA. Not exactly apples to apples.

yes; no.

ok, I'll take back the lazy part. (I'm being a smart A)

My point being, on the second part, that the higher cost of labor has to be made up for somewhere else in order to keep the car competitively priced.

Your also forgetting about FEDERAL, STATE, COUNTY AND MUNICIPLAITY RULES AND REGULATIONS...most notibaly EPA,OSHA,FDA, SWCD, etc etc. can you say...cha ching!

Ummm...isn't the maxima like $5-7,000 MORE than an ALTIMA. Not exactly apples to apples.

yes it is. But hey, lets play your game. Compare a 98 Maxima (japan) to a 05 Maxima (USA) You will see the same issues. Same goes for 98 Altima vs a 05 Altima.

First off can I ask what you do for a living Sonic?

Second, so your saying the overpaid people in the floor decide the quality of the car? That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard! You really think the assemblers can be outside of engeneering spec and keep there job? You odviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Third you are comparing two totaly different cars which are 7 model years apart, alot changed in the automotive word in that 7 years. Thats like comparing a 98 3/4 ton Chevy to a 05 Canyon, they are in totaly different ballparks.

engineering designer

I used to be a production cnc machinist, so I know the ropes of manufacturing. In fact, in a previous job, I supported manufacturing, planning, and sourcing quite a bit.

no I am not saying assemblers decide the quality. Yeah, nice job trying to put words in my mouth though. Besides, the assemblers do not source the parts now, do they.

I agree a lot has changed. American car quality has gone up, and Japanese car quality has gone down. lol at your truck vs canyon analogy. Going off the deep-end there a little aren't we. Attempting to make my to make my argument look like something it is not will not win any points.

Again, compare a 98 altima to an 05 altima or a 98 max to a 05 max if you think the altima vs maxima argument is biased. It doesn not matter. The 98s are rocks solid with great materials, and the 05s are noticibly less in those same terms.

To be more specific about what I meant in terms of quality differences, the most obvious differences are as follows:

1. The plastic in newer Japanese cars is not up to the snuff that it used to be. There is HUGE parting line flash on my visor holding tabs. HUGE. Like a 1/8 of an inch. You could almost get cut on this stuff.

I'm sure you have heard of "fit and finish",right? Yeah, the 98s "A" pillar plastic fits beautifully with a consistent edge and no visible parting lines flash or ejector pin marks. The 05 has ALL three of those defects. Warpage too.

2. The headliner. wow the max's is nice smooth velvety feeling. What is in the altima is a course, rough, almost burlap sack feeling material. Ick.

want more? request pics, and I'll post them.

1. The plastic in newer Japanese cars is not up to the snuff that it used to be. There is HUGE parting line flash on my visor holding tabs. HUGE. Like a 1/8 of an inch. You could almost get cut on this stuff.

I'm sure you have heard of "fit and finish",right? Yeah, the 98s "A" pillar plastic fits beautifully with a consistent edge and no visible parting lines flash or ejector pin marks. The 05 has ALL three of those defects. Warpage too.

2. The headliner. wow the max's is nice smooth velvety feeling. What is in the altima is a course, rough, almost burlap sack feeling material. Ick.

want more? request pics, and I'll post them.

This is something that someone with your title has more control over than an assembly line.

Not to mention the arguement of poor materials to keep costs down? Saturn had started to tranisition their cars over to steel vs. plastic due to the high cost of petroleum products. NOT because of the high cost of labor. Unfortunately, Saturn was dropped by GM. Not because of high wages, but a bad economy that was brought on by other factors.