• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip's for getting ready

first and foremost THE DRAIN PLUG !!!

No matter how many times you can check it, it always seems to find a way out of its rightful spot.

my .02
-Mr. Fisherman

Make sure you have all your equipment with and double check your list twice.Went to Red wing in my new boat on saturday and forgot the foot pad for the trolling motor.Not a disasterous mistake but it made for some difficult boat control.

Just sitting here thinking about what I need to do to get ready for open water fishing when the thought occurred to me to start a thread for reminders. Any unusual things that have happened to you in the past that might help someone avoid a disastrous start to their season. Things such as; Check under the motor cowling to be sure a mouse did not build a nest in there. (Yes that happened to me). So I thought we could share reminders to add to our list of things to do.
Does this qualify as having waaaayy to much free time?

A second DRAIN PLUG! We ended up giving one of ours to someone that was sinking last year. Also if you had your boat worked on be sure they filled the holes! We had a fish locater put on last year - the guy took off the old transducer and did not fill the holes! So there we sit - rods in lake - beer in hand - water filling up boat! It was not a pretty site! Is it illegal to hang boat mechanics?

------------------
Phyl

Flush and re-fill lower unit, check seals and gaskets on filler plug. Replace gaskets if leakage is detected.

Flush and fill fuel system. Check for sediments in tank and replace fuel filters.

Charge batteries and test them with a load tester. Check all connections and clean terminals.

Check marker lights and extra bulbs.

Anchor rope and tie off ropes inspect and replace if need be.

Check trailer and wiring, also extra bulbs.
Life jackets test and count.

Fire extinguisher check and service.

Spare boat key and primary pulling vehicle key in boat.

Boat registration and trailer registration documents.

First aid kit, check and replace if need be. Include a supply of aspirin. Simple aspirin can lessen long-range complications and temporarily treat many heart attack victims until help can arrive.

If a family member is allergic to bees, be sure to have a bee kit on board. (I always ask a client, friends, or new fishing partners if they have allergies or react poorly to insect bites!)

Do a visual inspection and check for loose this or that, including registration tags or stickers.

Just a few, every rig has individual maintenance issues that need to be checked. Be sure to read the operation manuals and maintenance manual for the boat and the motor. Read up on any new regulations that may effect you in 2002.

Go fish!

Be happy!

smile.gif

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

Eddy already covered all the boat stuff
so here are a few tips for your tackle.

Take an inventory of your tackle boxes and get rid of all the junk!
Knowing exactly what you have will save you money at the tackle store. smile.gif

Check all your baits for bad or broken
hooks, replace the bad ones and sharpen
all the rest.

Replace ALL of your old line, including
the backing on your braided line. It to will fail you when it gets old.

Clean and lubricate all your reels and
wipe down your rods as well. Any good
furniture wax on the rag, will protect your investment. Also check the reel seats and handles to see if they are in good shape.

A bit of extra work in the sping will save you a big headache this summer. I would hate to lose a big fish because I failed to check my equipment. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

I had some problems on Saturday in redwing that may help some people prepare. Tried to turn on livewell pump and blew fuse (pretty sure there was ice in it). I couldn't believe there were actually spares in the fuse box. Kudos to the Lund craftmanship.

Also ice in water pump intake....make sure you watch for the water stream from your motor.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Great responses, thanks everyone. I've assembled a list I will be using come spring, cut and paste for your own use. I think I've included everyone's idea. It's interesting to note the duplicates; I'll need to pay special attention to those.

Spring Inspection Checklist

1. DRAIN PLUG (2)
2. Foot pad for the trolling motor
3. Double check any work done by Incompetent mechanics (Locator holes)
4. Check Fuses, buy spares
5. Check for blockage (ice etc) in water pump intake
6. Check water stream from your motor
7. Flush and re-fill lower unit
8. Check seals and gaskets on filler plug, Replace gaskets if leakage is detected
9. Flush and fill fuel system. Check for sediments in tank and replace fuel filters
10. Charge batteries and test them with a load tester. Check all connections and clean terminals.
11. Check marker lights and extra bulbs.
12. Anchor rope and tie off ropes inspect and replace if need be.
13. Check trailer and wiring, also extra bulbs
14. Life jackets test and count
15. Fire extinguisher check and service
16. Spare boat key and primary pulling vehicle key in boat.
17. Boat registration and trailer registration documents.
18. First aid kit, check and replace if need be. Include a supply of aspirin. And possible a Bee kit.
19. Do a visual inspection and check for loose this or that, including registration tags or stickers
20. Be sure to read the operation manuals and maintenance manual for the boat and the motor.
21. Grease trailer bearings
22. Change the line on your rods.
23. Take an inventory of your tackle boxes and get rid of all the junk!
24. Clean and lubricate all your reels and wipe down your rods as well. Any good furniture wax on the rag will protect your investment. Also check the reel seats and handles to see if they are in good shape.
25. Check under Motor cowling for critter invasion.

How about this one: Put the hose cuff on the lower unit and start the motor in YOUR driveway instead of at the landing dock. You can run the fogging oil out of the system and you can be pretty sure that it will start right up the first time you launch.

Everyone of us appreciates this one.

How about some other items.

1. Spare spark plugs
2. Check on board tool kit (cause I know stuff always vanishes from mine.)
3. Check starting cord for wear (if applicable)
4. Lubricate steering rods, throttle cable
5. Check tilt hydraulic fluid, inspect area for leaking seals.
6. EXTRA PLUG
7. Check trailer tire pressures, and inspect tread.
8. Sunscreen, chapstick
9. And as I told my wife once (only once) "lubricate the winch, wench"

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

I know it was mencioned above but it is worth repeating.

Make sure your trailer and boat tabs are up to date.

Most county sherrif and city police departments know they can tag a lot of people with expired boat trailer tabs on that first nice boating day of the season.

I learned this lesson the hard way my first boating season, never again.

Last year I went out on the first nice day with a buddy who just got a new boat ... sure enough he blew of getting the tabs and had a ticket for expired tabs when we got back to the landing.

Since it is SUPPOSE to be Spring and everyone is anxious I thought I would bring this topic back for a reminder. We had some really good ideas last year. Does anyone have any new hints to add?

------------------
Phyl

the most overlooked and possible the biggest, is to rename all your waypoints. our units only allow so many quick saves, then we need to rename and save them before they are over wrought.

...and do NOT FORGET the THROWABLE LIFE-SAVER.

We were checked for this and this ONLY on Gull opener weekend several times by GWs. They just asked us, We want to see your "throwable life-saver" is what we overheard them ask several boats near us and when they got to us we just held it up to allow them to see it..they waved and left. No license checks no safety checks of any kind other than the "Throwable".

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"