• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

choosing a shotgun

I'm just getting into upland and duck-geese hunting and I'm trying to decide which shotgun to get. I have a selection narrowed down to three,Benelli SBE II, Beretta Xtrema2, and Winchester SuperX3. I went these because they all take 3 1/2 inch shells. If anybody have any other suggestions please mention them. Looking for any input from gun owners from shooting to maintence to waranty. Thanks.

I have a SBE and I want another one. I also have an over under Beretta 3 1/2 inch but I would still rather have two SBE's. It is very easy to clean and keep it running in the field and even after hunting in the rain I am done cleaning and have it put back together in less than five minutes.

I do not have any experience with the others.

SBE is the only shotgun that's ever jam'd on me ... and yes, I did the break-in ... how could I forget it ... personally, I think that ID stuff is [PoorWordUsage]. Anyhow, I'll never get another.

I've got an SX2 that's always done very well ... that's my favorite auto.

I have an Xtrema ... but haven't shot it much ... good, so far.

I dont have any of those you listed but I do have a browning gold and I just bought a stoger auto that about the closest you can get to the bennelli and I would carry that all day upland hunting over the browning and for waterfowl it awsome but so is my Gold so I ussally take both guns duck hunting.

Thanks for all the input so far, keep em coming. I'm so new to hunting I didn't realize you have to do a break-in for them. The information I've gotton so far is great thanks again fellas.

Thanks for all the input so far, keep em coming. I'm so new to hunting I didn't realize you have to do a break-in for them. The information I've gotton so far is great thanks again fellas.

break-in was JUST for the non-gas guns (SBE) ... 50rd 3.5in Turkey loads in the owner's manual, IIRC. Not as crucial if most your loads are gonna be that stout, anyhow ... it's to shoot light loads.

Speakin of which, personally, I see no need for 3.5in shells ... so, given the oppotunity, I'll choose a 3in gun over 3.5in ... I figure they have better odds of cycling 2.75in better ... though, in new gas guns, that's not hardly the issue it used to be

At that, I'll throw in honorable mention for the Mossberg 930 ... I don't have one, but I've heard nothing but good about 'em ... probly save a couple hunderd, or closer to $600 from a SBE, too ... if that's a factor

One of my buddies who hunts told me to get a 3 1/2 inch shell so I can hunt geese with it. Sigosaur would a gas gun stlye(sp) with a 3 inch shell be your choice first?

I will take a look at the Mossberg 930.

I'm with sig on this I shoot a 3 inch over a 3 1/2 and I seem to bring down geese no problem.3 1/2's are a bit heavier than 3 inhers, shells are cheaper. If I were going to strictly go for goose I will bring the 10 ga with the right choke combo they are hard to beat

One of my buddies who hunts told me to get a 3 1/2 inch shell so I can hunt geese with it. Sigosaur would a gas gun stlye(sp) with a 3 inch shell be your choice first?

I will take a look at the Mossberg 930.

Elwood's got it right!

A goose gun is not the same as an upland gun ... upland s/b much lighter!

If it was me, 'stead of payin' $1,200+ for a SBE, I'd pay $600 -$700 on almost any other 3in gas gun ... shoot THAT a year 'er two ... and if ya really think ya lost a goose 'cause your gun's too small, then get a 10ga with the rest of the money.

At the least, borrow your buddy's 3.5in gun, set-up 5 turkey targets in a row at 25yd, and keep buying/shooting the very same 3.5in shells that ya would for hunting goose ... until you're 5/5. The next day, if ya can raise your arm over your head without curling up in a ball on the floor, then THAT'S the gun for you!

Otherwise, a gas gun'll take a bit of the "edge" outta whatever ya shoot ... preferably, 3in shells.

Get the 3.5". You dont want to be kicking yourself in the arse after spending $1000+ on a gun and not have it. If you dont feel you need it after you can still shoot 3" out of a 3.5" gun but not the other way around. If you want to get rid of the gun after a year or two because you dont like it, it will be easier to sell. I wont shoot anything but 3.5" Black Cloud at geese, not saying you cant bring them down with 3" BB, just personal preferance to me and all my hunting buddies and most of the rest of the waterfowl community. It doesnt cost more to get a 3.5", and if it does it's very minimal.

BTW, I shoot a SX3 and love it, two of my buddies bought them after me and all 3 guns havent had a single problem in 2 years. Shot flawlesly on the last day of pheasant season when it was -2 degrees. Hardly any oil in my gun at the end of the season though. If I had one complaint about the SX3 it's the cost of slug barrels (if you can even find one nowadays) $530 from winchester, might as well buy a 870 for that price. Hope this helps.

once again, the Ford, Dodge, Chevy debate... go to a couple different gun shops and handle these choices, as far as 3" vs 3 1/2 inch, the load will travel at the same velocity leaving the barrel, the shot string, that is the "cloud length" if you can picture a pattern in flight, not circumference, is what changes with the larger load. you will find that a 1 oz 3" steel BB has about 72 pellets, a 3.5" 1 oz steel BB has between 80-90 depending on shell company and size of wad buffer used. A 2 3/4 shell has just as much force as a 3.5, that is why people bag just as much game with just about any gun used. Choke will determine the pattern on a flat target, and as far as that goes, choke is not truly defined by size measurement, but by constriction in relation to barrel bore diameter, that is why some work better than others even in the same definition (full ,mod, etc) and that is the #1 reason to get out and handle different guns, then to pattern different chokes in the one you select. cbrooks, you have a selection of all very fine shotguns on your list, like I said earlier, handle as many as possible and pick the one YOU like.

Smilinbob hit the nail on the head with that post.

My dad told me a long time ago if your gonna buy a new gun pick up and handle a bunch of them you'll know when one fits its that obvious and thats the one to buy weather it a 3 inch or 3.5 thats personal perferance in my book.

this is my story I went looking for a remington 11-87 and came home with a browning gold have had remingtons all my life its just that I knew that browning was a better fit and it came up perfect for me. BTW its only a 3 inch and have know problems taking geese down.

Thanks guys, I think I will have to go and handle a bunch of different shotguns. I'm in the process of buying a rifle as well and have been reading other post on this site thats been helping me with that decision. The advice you get on this site is always helpful. Thanks everybody.

I don't disagree with what anyone has said, however, I have multiple shotguns, (too many to list), of different makes. Only a few have felt, well, wrong. One being a benelli SuperNova, I had to get rid of it. However, for the most part, you can learn to shoot a gun you like. You will probably pick up 10 different guns and like 3 or 4 of them. Thats when you need to consider your options, price, etc... Pulling up the gun should just be natural, and the sights should line up pretty naturally, if you have to cock your head at a goofy angle, then it is not right for you, but most guns/stocks are cut from pretty similar molds. Again, I am not disagreeing with the feel of the gun, just saying that one can learn to shoot a different gun. I shoot a lot trap and use multiple different guns, they all feel pretty similar and I shoot most of them about the same.

Trigger, you are right, but what I mean is sometimes two of the same guns can have a bit of a different feel, the inletting can be just a couple thousands different and it will just feel better to some. Shootnig trap you know that a good fit is huge, and instead of making one work, feel a few and you might hit on one that deosn't require thought to feel natural. Its kind of like picking a melon, give a few a thump test first!

Yeah, I didn't mean to disagree with you at all. Fit is huge, I have shot a few guns that I just couldn't get comfortable with at all (like the supernova). My main point was just that sometimes you will get 3 or 4 guns that feel good, not really one hands down favorite over the other. Many of them will come with adjustmants too to try and tailor it to your liking.

You will know what gun is best the minute you pull it up. Also, if you hunt with a lot of bulky clothing on you may want to wear bulky clothing when pulling them up at the store. I can only picture a few times I hunted in a t shirt or even just a hoodie with a shotgun. Trap sure but not hunting. Just something to think about.

I read in outdoor life that you really gain nothing but pellet count and alot more recoil from going to a 3 1/2", that alot of times a 3" will kill better because you get more energy at longer ranges. It said since you're pushing alot more pellets out of the gun you loose alot of velocity, which actually hurts your range and killing power at much of a distance. Any truth behind that?

Depends on the weight of shot. Im sure its the case if ur shooting 1 9/16oz 3.5in BB opposed to a 1 1/8oz 3in BB. I'd rather have more pellets down range for say a 40yd shot at a ringneck passing over decoys but less pellets and more energy at a 40 yd shot at a goose. Just my .02. In any shooting situation I want the most pellets and the most energy possible. I have heard with a 3.5in shell you end up having a longer shot string which ends up being two seperate waves of pellets. Good for straight shots but not so hot at fast passing shots. All in all, I shoot the long ones when im feeling frisky but mainly shoot 3in.