• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jumping at people when they enter the house........

ZEEK1223

My dog is fairly well behaved, but one thing is he gets so excited when people come to the door its like a whirlwind. He jumps on them, and just goes crazy. I have been making him sit before I give him any attention when I get home. He has responded well to this, but I cant seem to do anything for random people. I had the neighbor come over to simulate the scenerio so I could work with the dog more, but he is just crazy.....he is a 3yr old lab....thanks for any help.....

Need to impose more control over the dog while in the house. Currently he/she feels she doesn't have to listen to you when the door bell rings.

From watching Ceasar (Dog Whisperer) he imposes control of the dog and makes the dog stay at a distance and be calm before even opening the door. The focus needs to stay on the dog during the exercise not letting him come to the door and to stay under control. Once that happens then he opens the door but still keeps the focus on the dog. If you let the dog get to the door, then it is a lost cause because now you lost control of the situation.

Gotta be the lead dog at all times.

Take it for what its worth, but I learned a lot watching his episodes.

i personally like the dew claw method

let the dog jump up on you, when he does squeeze both dew clause with each hand applying pressure on the dew claw with your thumbs

as you do this command the word "down" and do not release until the dogs feet are on the ground

took only few tries with both of my Shorthairs. that area is really tender and your dogs know you mean business

The problem with using a knee to the chest (which I do use myself) is that most people coming to your house probably don't know to do that, and if they do they are reluctant to do so.

Another method is to put he dog on a leash, then step on the leash, giving him just enough slack so that when he jumps up, he comes to a sudden, uncomfortable stop before he can get on the person. That way you are controlling the dog and are not dependent on someone else to give him a knee.

I keep a yellow whiffle ball bat out side the door, when I know someone is comming over (the regulars know the drill) I remind them to bring the bat in with them. If they jump up they get wacked in the chest with the bat. They don't have to hit them hard, not beating the dog just reminding them to stay down. If someone comes that doesn't know the drill then i make the dogs sit across the room untill I say so, usually the excitment wheres off pretty quik and they are relaxed and then they can go meet the guests, it all takes time and being consistant, you can't correct them one day and let them get by with it the next.