• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki vs. ETech

lawman

I am absolutely in love with the four stroke Suzuki 115 I bought in 2001. I am in the market for a new, bigger of course, boat and am considering switching to an Evinrude Etech. Any comments about this one way or the other would be appreciated.

6 one way, half a dozen the other.

Do you want to use two-cycle oil or change the oil every season?

The one feature I think is extremely nice with the E-tec is the easy winterization process. From the infomercial I have seen it is a matter of pushing a button and pulling on the throttle lever.

My brother has a 140 hp Suzuki. I am pretty impressed with the motor. It doesn't seem to be much bigger than my 75 hp Yamaha. It is definitely quiet for a motor that big. He has it on a 1775 Pro-V and I believe it will move that boat at 42 - 43 mph @ WOT.

Is there any particular reason you are limiting your options to these two brands?

If I were considering a two-cycle motor, I would also look at an Opti-Max (this is just my opinion of course). They have been out for a while. It seems that Merc has done well to work out the bugs that had been a problem earlier. I have read several articles in Bass & Walleye Boat magazine that involved testing of various sizes of motors. The Opti-Max always performed well and was consistantly the "best bang for the buck."

Have you considered Yamaha? I was in a dealer that sold Yammys and Suzukis last spring and mentioned I may be interested in swapping my Yamaha 75 hp 4-stroke for the Suzuki 80 hp 4-stroke. His response was, "From what I have seen come through here, I would stick with what you have." Granted that was one example but it carried some weight for me since they have both brands.

Good luck in your search for a new boat & motor.

hard to beat the suzuki 140 in bang for the buck. will you give up an mph or two over the yamaha 150 or the etch probably but you will also keep a nice extra chunk of cash in your wallet. full disclosure just purchased a 2010 df140 and looked really hard at the yamaha and the etec prior to purchase. just couldn't justify an extra 2 grand for a motor that was going to perform within an a couple of mph on topspeed of the suzuki. according to the boat test sheets for boats in the same class that i purchased the suzuki was a bit better on fuel consumption as well. i'm sure no matter which way you go you will be happy.

Originally Posted By: lawman
I am absolutely in love with the four stroke Suzuki 115 I bought in 2001.

That says it all for me. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Stick with the 'zuki!

This was my exact thought when I read your initial post. What can you gain if you are absolutely in love with the Suzuki that you've got? I'm not claiming that Suzuki is or isn't the best, but purely based on your statement you should not switch. I just bought an '09 Suzuki and love it, so it's not like they've gone downhill.

For you --specifically-- to switch is setting yourself up for failure.

it depends if you want performance. I just checked all motor sites, and there test results. I have come up with the conclusion that yamaha makes the best motor.

suzuki came out with the 250ss, which may be comparable to the new yamaha SHO, but they used a 31 pitch prop for there test results, so a higher top end speed. the weight was more than the yami, but not much. down side of the 31 pitch prop, almost nothing of a hole shot, all others use a 21-23 pitchh prop in there tests, which is the normal prop.

the e-tech, from there sites test results were shocking. less speed, and not very good fuel econemy.

what was even more of a shock was the mercury verado, ok speed, a little heavy, but gas milage that is absolutly terrible. from mercurys test results.

the best motors through out the tests I seen were the yamaha HPDI, and mercury proXS. they got the best speeds and fuel economy. and of course they are two stroke, are much lighter.

Go with Yamaha. They are the industry leader in four stroke technology. They have an excellent dealer network, and their customer service is excellent. They stand behind their product. As far as the E-Tec, would you really buy an engine whose main source of advertising is a late-night info-mercial???

i think you need to think about how big your boat is

what you fish for

how are you going to rig your boat

trolling motors front and back ??

do you fish big water..avg lakes small ones

what motor will help you stay on fish

sure you might save a grand orginally but what are you going to spend to make it catch fish to me boat control is very important !!

trolling motors dont come cheap either

i have 150 E-TEC on a 20 ft boat and it works very well

it planes the boat right now i never lose site over the bow

its about 40-44mph hr boat...but if you fish any type of big water you are not going to run wide open probably less than 50%

my motor will troll down to 2.5 on glass flat water going foward so its excellent pulling cranks weather its flat or blowing

doesnt take much of a chop i can back troll with it

its fairly quite not like honda though but wide open across the lake you can carry on a conversation

so i guess my point is think about what you want the motor to do for you and match it to the boat you are puttin it on

because as someone said above its ..ford vs chevy !!

and lots of $$$$$$$$ be happy!!!

Sorry, but I don't get the Ford vs. Chevy analogy here. Both are good motors but you are comparing a 4-stroke to a DFI engine and there are differences.

Personally I would suggest the Suzuki, because you have one now and seem to like it. And my opinion is that the Suz is a better motor than the E-Tec.