• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 serious and 1 not so serious

Hwood

Came across this the other morning. I felt the need to take some pictures but wasn't sure what I was looking for out of them. To be honest I'm still not. C & C please.

4137738648_2669459ffd_b.jpg

This one makes me think of a group of guys looking at a group of gals who are looking back at them.

My captions would read

'Just go ask her out'....and....'I think he kind of acts like a stick in the mud'

4137730970_7b1b6c528a_b.jpg

When I say I am not sure what I am looking for out of the pics. I was thinking more of angles, colors, crop, do I even like the shot. I found it interesting then but wans't sure if I like the end result. It is a rib cage, from a doe. The rest of her was in the parking area at this boat landing. How the rib cage made it to the water is hard to say but I would guess man and not animal.

I enjoy the second image and love your commentary. On the first image, since the rib cage seems to be the main subject, I would suggest increasing your focal length/or move closer to the subject thereby isolating it more by having it fill more of the frame, (will also allow for better bg control). Also, I'm not sure that black and white does all that much for you here.

I like the first image for its starkness and the statement it makes about all of nature's creatures being used in one way or another. My own inclination in these situations generally is to get tighter compositionally and to search for pattern. In this case, a portion of the spine that includes only three or four portions of rib extending a few inches above the spine and the same ribs reflected in the same amount of water would have been another way to interpret the scene.

I figured you'd gone B&W with it because of the colors of the blood, etc., remaining on the ribcage. FWIW, when emphasizing form/pattern, B&W can accentuate the effect, preventing the eye from being drawn hither and yon by colors.

That second image is just plain piquant fun. Great eye to see it in the first place and an excellent composition that made me chuckle.

Also, don't be hard on yourself for not really knowing what you were trying to get out of the images. Instinct can be every bit as powerful as intent, and is often moreso. There are many photographic situations where I shut down my rational mind and run completely on instinct.

can you post the picture in color also? I would be interested to see the amount of flesh and bone color still on the rib cage. If there are some distinct colors, it would be fun to turn the remainder of the picture black and white and leave the rib and reflection on the water in color. If you don't mind and there is color, I would be happy to do it and send it back to you

Captainpane, you give me to much credit.

Thanks for the feed back all. Steve nailed it about the colors. I did not have a prolem with it but the reds did not do much for me. I will get a color shot or 2 up and I will be curios to see where T&KK, or who ever, takes it.

What does FWIW stand for?

Here are the ribs in color with a black and white background. I pulled out the reds more than the original to add to the contrast and to really maginfy what you were trying to capture.

Let me know what you all think?

[img:left]ribs1.jpg

I thought you might have liked the one with more of a reflection off the water. It looks cool. I think the black and white tells a story of the rib cage now being part of the lake, as one. That is why I had gone with the shot with less reflection to draw less interest to it. I think the colored cage is a bold story where the rib cage does not belong, still stands alone with questions of how did it get there, the whens, the whats.... Just stating the obvious I guess.

What program did you use for that and did it take awhile?

I will do the other one and post it. Now you have my curiosity to see the difference with the reflections. I used GIMP (gnu image manipulation program) and it took probably 25 mins. If I did a picture that was going to be blown up and precise, it would have taken me more like 45 mins just to be extra exact with the cuting and coloring.

I prefer the first one you did with a better reflection. Shows the broken rib in the water and adds to the picture-story. Still not sure where I stand on any of them, original or otherwise. I think they are cool but have no plans to put one on the wall. Not that I have a lot of those going on. My wife did have a shot of mine blown up for my birthday, so there is 1.

I showed the two pictures to my boss and he was pretty awe struck on both of them, so that can be taken as a compliment for the both of us i guess. I really like creativeness of the picture and definitely give you compoiments on thinking of taking the picture. If you ever want anything else edited or have some color work done, don't hesitate to send me an email. I enjoy doing that stuff.