• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting book sugguestions?

sticknstring

Every year I try to come up with a new title for a stocking stuffer to keep me going through the off-season. Some recent ones I've read are Come November and Hunting Rutting Whitetails by Gene Wensel, Bowhunting Alaska's Wild River's by Jay Massey, My Neck of the Woods by Bryce Lambley and Ultimate Deer Food Plots by Ed Spinazzola. What are some other good ones you've read that are collection worthy?

I strongly recommend the books by John and Chris Eberhart. These guys focus on bowhunting pressured deer like the rest of us and they have shot some great deer on public land. Tons of good info and they cover just about everything.

I strongly recommend the books by John and Chris Eberhart. These guys focus on bowhunting pressured deer like the rest of us and they have shot some great deer on public land. Tons of good info and they cover just about everything.

i second that

One of my favorite books about deer hunting is, Big Bucks the Benoit Way. Its not a bow hunting book or a how to, but I think it is an excellent read. Its about a family of hunters up in Maine and some stories of past hunts and how they do it. Some of you may have heard of Larry Benoit... its about him.

I got it from the library the first time when about 8yrs ago and checked it out a few time, finally last year my girlfriend got it for me for Christmas.

one of my favorite authors is charles alsheimer...i've read a few of his books they are awesome...Whitetail the ultimate challenge is one of my favorite books and its cheap...he has alot of other great books too take a peek he has his own sight where u can order them...its at his name .com lol

One of the very best in my opinion is Roger Rothhaar's Whitetail Magic. Superb. Also Bobby Worthington's Hunting Trophy Whitetails, great stories behind the killing of monster deer in hard hunted areas. And Mark and Terry Drury's book Giant Whitetails: A Lifetime of Lessons, is actually really good too - specific descriptions of the how, why and when behind several of the early bucks they killed on video. If you don't learn something valuable from each you're just not paying attention, as well as being just a good and enjoyable read, especially in the winter after season is over.

Quote:
Are you just interested in whitetail books?

Not necessarily, I've read quite a bit of other species from Fred Bear's Field Notes and some Alaskan stuff but generally I'm more interested in Whitetails. Someday when I have the opportunity to catch the elk bug and chase some mulies around, that will all change I'm sure.

Great suggestions so far guys. I've heard lots of good things about several that have been listed. Another one I've been curious about is Super Slam by Chuck Adams. Has anyone read that one? Keep the suggestions coming...

Mike Mitten's Passions of a Solo Bowhunter. His language is a bit flowery and over the top at times, but he's a very good writer and has lived some excellent adventures.

Cameron Hane's Backcountry Bowhunting. A lot of typos/editing issues, but tons of great info.

45 Unforgetable Bowhunters. Light reading and interesting stuff for anyone who wants to know about some of the who's who of bowhunting.

It's not bowhunting, but some of the best books I've ever read about hunting were by Peter Hathaway Capstick. Any of his "Death" series (Death in the Long Grass, Death in Silent Places, Death on the Dark Continent) are phenomenal reads. I've read each of them a handful of times and likely will read them again this Winter (I'm due).

Fred Bear's Field Notes- excellent!

If you want elk info, anything written by Wayne Carlton, Mike Eastman, or Paul Mendell (aka. Elknut) will be very good.

Also, not a book but relevant- if you want elk, muley, and Western hunting info, Eastman's Bowhunting Journal is the cream of the crop.

SNS,

I deal with hunting books every day and I would highly recommend these books...Peterson's Bowhunting: Setting up the Perfect Bow by Bill Winke new this spring 2009. Peterson's Bowhunting: Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin. Another favorite would be and a good one for your collection is PH: Best of Trails End by Jim Dougherty. If you want I can email a link and you can see the covers and tidbits of each book post your email?

MR

I feel like i am reading a good book when i read the posts on here. Lol

You guys have alot of good knowledge and hunting morals on this sight so i just wanted to say you are all good authors of your knowledge. Now if we could get you all to share your good ice fishing holes we could have some more good reading. LOl

The only book on Whitetail hunting i have read is from DR. Ken Nordberg. Some of you may have heard of him. Not sure of the title but could check when i get home tonight. I liked it because he is from Minnesota so all his research was done here.

I may have to try some of the books you have all put on here.

CC HURL

SNS,

Peterson's Bowhunting: Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin.

Not disagreeing with MR on this, but the Paul Mendell info I referenced will tell you to do almost everything the EXACT OPPOSITE that the Meitin book tells you. Two totally different schools of thought for sure. Without a doubt, neither is right or wrong- just different approaches. Wayne Carlton's approach is pretty similar to Meitin's.

Quote:
Mike Mitten's Passions of a Solo Bowhunter

Isn't Mitten one of the guys that used to make videos with the Wensels years ago? That name seems familiar from Hunting October Whitetails and Primal Dreams? I know he's shot a ton of huge whitetails with his recurve if that's the guy.

Meat-Run - Sure, I'd like to take a look at some good recommended reads. My email is in my profile. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Meat-Run
SNS,

Peterson's Bowhunting: Bowhunting Modern Elk by Patrick Meitin.

Not disagreeing with MR on this, but the Paul Mendell info I referenced will tell you to do almost everything the EXACT OPPOSITE that the Meitin book tells you. Two totally different schools of thought for sure. Without a doubt, neither is right or wrong- just different approaches. Wayne Carlton's approach is pretty similar to Meitin's.

This is funny because I have found the same thing, if you read enough about whitetails you will find people saying the opposite things on just about every subject. At some point you just have to put down the books, use the knowledge you have learned and apply it to your hunting area through years of trial and error. Of course I still like to have something to read on toilet so there is nothing better than deer mags or books to kill the time.

Another one I've been curious about is Super Slam by Chuck Adams. Has anyone read that one? Keep the suggestions coming...

"Super Slam" is a great read. I understand his "Life at Full Draw" is also very good.

Also "I Remember PaPa Bear" by Richard Lattimer. Another I haven't personally read, but sounds realy good.

Quote:
Also "I Remember PaPa Bear" by Richard Lattimer.

That's a pretty good read. There's some good stuff in there that you would be shocked that an industry legend like Fred would've done. Tresspassing, Pods, etc. Back then everyone had their names on their arrows but that was the last time for Fred after that incident. grin

My list of books is going to be a long one this year. Good stuff guys - I appreciate all the suggestions.