• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SoDak Harvest

JConrad

I was out in Aberdeen last week and the grain harvest was just getting into full swing especially with the beans.

Just wondering how it is coming along...Have they begun to pick the corn yet?

I will be back out in three weeks and hopefully much of the corn will have been picked by then.

Finally some really good weather to dry things out!

Blackjack, you will be timing your hunt, absolutely perfect. I went out yesterday, and had my best hunt of the year and it was on public land.

I saw more birds just yesterday than what I have probably seen all year. I strictly think its because crops are starting to come out. I know the birds numbers are great, but up until now it has almost been impossible to get to them with wet fields and standing crops.

I hunted prime hunting areas around Huron this last weekend and didnt have much luck at all, 3 days later and it was an entirely different day of hunting.

Best of all, its only going to get better from here on out.

Joel, Just got home last night from 3 days of hunting. I talked to your boys about where you guys go since I work with them. Steve told me how wet it was. He was right. The combines were working overtime on the beans everywhere but only saw one farm that was working his corn. The word from the people we were talking to was that they were hoping to get the corn out by Christmas if at all. Expecting another 1/4". Doesn't look to promising. We ended up mostly road hunting the last two days because I didn't like busting through boot high water everywhere we went the first day. We drove as far as 75 miles west past alot of pasture land and hunted around the sunflowers. It was a lot dryer but not much cover to hunt. The corn was still up out there also.

Lindy Rig and I were in north central SD over Halloween weekend. We hunted all public land and did pretty well even though almost all the crops were up. Hunted in the rain that Thursday and it had rained all week. Some areas were wet and it was good to have good boots (walked though standing water at time but not deep), but we had not problems hunting any of the areas we wanted to hunt.

I just posted a recap of our trip here:

Recap of SD trip.

The hunting is just going to get better and better as the crops come out. Lot's of birds but they are in the corn during the day.

I am headed to North Dakota on Monday for a few days with a friend who owns property out there and then back to Aberdeen the second week of December. I am thinking most of the corn will be picked by then since they are having some real dry weather and it looks pretty good over the next ten days.

We were out yesterday west/northwest of Aberdeen...three of us got our limit in a few hours.

Just about all of the beans are out, and the corn was coming out fast yesterday. If the weather holds, another week or so should see most of the crops out.

Good to hear the harvest is moving forward in a big way. Two weeks ago it did not look good at all.

I am looking forward to being out your way again in December for 5 days. What a beautiful area to say the least.

Just about all of the beans are out, and the corn was coming out fast yesterday. If the weather holds, another week or so should see most of the crops out.

smilesmilesmilesmile

Sounds like the 'perfect storm', lots of birds and lots of crops coming out before we get there on the 20th. Even if the land we usually hunt on gets hunted by other guys, they can only shoot so many!!! Go green dogs go!!!

We were out yesterday west/northwest of Aberdeen...three of us got our limit in a few hours.

I was out in mitchell on the 4th and they had just gotten the beans out. Their corn they were not sure about. Wet wet fields, they were thanking end of the month into december. However, a lot of the corn has mold issues too. any mold issues in aberdeen?