• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Yamaha 4 stroke

TR21

Yamaha let a little bit of info out yesterday on their new 4 stroke motor. The new motor was made available to boat manufacturers yesterday at the Yamaha test facility. Limited reviews state it is a 4.2 litre, V6 naturally aspirated motor that is lighter, more powerful with better fuel economy than a comparable HPDI. It is projected to cost 1K more than a 2 stroke. Thats about all they said, except a friend of mine who works for Bass Cat, got to drive one said "you won't believe it till you drive it" and he's a die hard Merc guy. Thats all I was able to get from him.

I just read a report on a different site about the pre-production test engines. In the 250HP version it has the same speed and fuel comsumption as a Merc 250ProXS on a BASS CAT. Right at about 80MPH and 23 GPH. They said if you where blindfolded and earmuffed you would not be able to tell the difference in performance, but the Yamaha polutes less. It is a 4.2 Liter motor. I think if you did some digging you can find the article.

This thing should be pretty bad.

mnfishinguy,

Thats what I'm hearing also. Basically you are getting the performance of a 2 stroke with the emission release and quietness of a 4 stroke. We will all hear about it Nov. 20 when the official release comes out, but yes it's going to be one bad motor.

I have also read (on a walleye site) that max RPM is in the neighborhood of 9,000-10,000! The article said that at idle it had a real nice rumble to it, not overmuffled. I think if you did some looking at BASS CAT boats you should be able to read what I did.

A little more has leaked out. How about a 250 4 stroke that weighs in at 505 lbs! Thats less than an Opti and the best part is it will only be about $500 more than the HPDI. They make a 300 HP version now as well.

I saw a pic and this thing looks cool. Black and silver and called a Vmax 4 stroke. Kinda looks like a HPDI on steroids.

were did you see this, I was at yami's HSOforum, and there is nothing about it. I heard rumors that it is faster than the HPDI, I don't think that would be possible. I was at FIRM's HSOforum and see they have some 2010 skeeters in stock now. I will have to stop in and see.

You know I can't list another HSOforum here, I'll get nuked. Now if someone will give me permission to post a link I will be glad to do it.

It is not on Yamaha's official site. The dealers found out yesterday what it's all about but are supposed to remain tight lipped. The general public will know on the 20th.

IF this does turn out to be all true I think there are a couple of engine companies that will need to get back to the drawing board real quick. But if you think about it, if any company can do it, Yamaha would be the one. Heck, they get about 180 HP out of a 1 liter motor in their crotch rockets bikes. Technology, you gotta love it.

mnfishinguy,

Talked to a good friend of mine who just got back from driving a few boats at the event for manufacturers. He was most impressed with the new Skeeter ZX200 with the 4stroke 225 on the back.He said it literally slammed you back into the seat on takeoff and jumped on plane immediately. Ran at 81 mph with a stock setup and conservative 25" Yammie prop. He also drove a 20' Bullet with a 250 and shut it down at 88 mph with more throttle left! He mentioned prices of just 19.8K for the 200,

20.6K for the 225 and 21.8K for the 250. About 500-1000 more than an HPDI. This was the Merc guy I referred to previously and not easily impressed.

88MPH! Holy cow, I'll admit my seeds are not big enough for that. From what I have heard and read this thing is going to set the outboard world on it's ear.

If anyone is interested there is a 12 page PDF file on the internet that has the specs for this motor.

Here you go:

Yamaha Unveils ''Revolutionary'' New Outboards in Chattanooga

posted November 16, 2009

Late Monday Yamaha Marine Group came to Chattanooga to announce the biggest product launch in the company’s history. The launch includes nine new outboards that officials say "reach new levels of reliability and overall customer satisfaction."

“Customer satisfaction is a moving target,” said Phil Dyskow, President, Yamaha Marine Group. “It includes expectations about power, performance and comfort – issues such as sound level and vibration – and, of course, the reliability of the outboard. A brand that wants to be on the top in customer satisfaction can’t ignore any aspect of the product. Consumers want it all, and we have to deliver.”

New Materials and Processes

Yamaha says it has applied innovative uses of materials and processes and taken a fresh approach to designing its new generation of outboards. The new generation includes the VMAX® SHO™ 250, 225 and 200; the new F300, F250 and F225 V6 offshore outboards; the new F6 and F4 portables; and the new mid-range F70.

The outboards feature reduction in weight through the use of new materials, and by a powerhead-engineering approach that seeks to gain the highest power output consistent with excellent long-term reliability.

Four Strokes that Run Like Two Strokes

At the top of the list of customer satisfying innovations is a family of four stokes that can outperform the best two strokes. Yamaha’s new VMAX® SHO™ outboards are as light or lighter than competing two strokes and deliver better hole shot and time to plane than Yamaha’s two-stroke VMAX® Series 2 outboards. Now anglers can enjoy the traditional virtues of the two stroke -- light weight and acceleration – with the virtues of a four stoke – clean, reliable, quiet operation. The VMAX® SHO™ is nothing short of a revolution for anglers.

Volumetric Efficiency

One thing that characterizes all the new outboard powerheads in the Yamaha line is volumetric efficiency. That means each outboard gets as much fuel and air into the cylinder as possible, which has a positive effect on power and overall fuel economy.

The F300/F250/F225 family of outboards has an amazing 4.2 liters of displacement and uses a larger throttle valve. Inside, the new V6 powerhead has larger intake and exhaust valves. In addition, it uses both longer and larger intake tracks. Variable camshaft timing is also employed (and is new to the F225 and F200). All these features increase volumetric efficiency in the 4.2-liter V6s.

The Yamaha F70 uses a unique four-valve-per-cylinder head design in which the valves are actuated by a single camshaft instead of the more typical two-camshaft design. This highly unusual design not only allows greater intake and exhaust valve area – which contributes to volumetric efficiency – it also reduces the weight and parasitic losses that would result from using two camshafts instead of just one.

Reducing the Weight

Very seldom in engineering does adding one material to another result in decreased weight and increased efficiency, but that’s what one new process does in both the Yamaha VMAX® SHO™ and the new F300/F250/F225 V6 offshore family of outboards. The powerheads of these outboards use plasma fused sleeveless cylinders instead of a steel sleeve.

Not only does the process reduce the overall amount of powerhead weight, the resulting material – which measures about 0.1 mm thick – takes up less space in the engine block than a conventional steel sleeve, which means there’s more room for the pistons themselves. It is in this way that displacement has been optimized in the new 4.2-liter powerhead. The process has allowed Yamaha engineers to gain the greatest displacement from the least amount of mass in the engine block, which also reduces overall weight.

In addition, the micro-textured cylinder walls that result from the process create less friction, allowing the pistons to move more freely, thus reducing parasitic losses from friction.

Yamaha officials will showing off their new engines on the water at their testing facility in Bridgeport, Ala. Tueday morning.

Profiles of New Yamaha Outboards

Inshore, Offshore, Bass, Portable, Mid-Range: Something for Every Boater

The Game Changer: Four-Stroke V6 VMAX® SHO™

A revolutionary four-stroke outboard, the VMAX® SHO™ takes power to a whole new level within the bass fishing realm. It is noticeably faster out of the hole and to plane than the VMAX® Series 2 and has a broader power curve for smoother acceleration and performance. It also achieves higher speed over a measured distance and provides the best acceleration of the outboards in its class. Indeed, the VMAX® SHO™ is the lightest outboard in its class when compared to two-stroke competitors using filled reserve oil tanks. The VMAX® SHO™ family is comprised of 250, 225 and 200 horsepower versions.

The Versatile Performer: Yamaha’s New Four-Stroke F70

Yamaha’s all-new four-stroke F70 outboard is so light and versatile it can even be used in applications formerly reserved for some two-stoke outboards. Delivering an impressively high level of performance for its size, the F70 is a great lightweight alternative for aluminum fishing boats and has the best horsepower-per-liter ratio in its class, weighing 109 pounds less than Yamaha’s four-stoke F75. The F70 can be equipped with the Yamaha Multi-Function tiller handle and Command Link® gauges. It also has a handsomely designed compact exterior that gives it a family resemblance to Yamaha’s newer outboards.

The Truly Portable: Yamaha’s New Four-Stroke F6 and F4

Yamaha’s two new four-stroke portable outboards, the F6 and F4, weigh only 60 pounds (for the 15-inch shaft model) and with convenient built-in carrying handles – living up to the name, they are truly portable. The new F6 is 23 pounds lighter than the former F6, which makes it easier to handle and install. These outboards can easily go from the pickup bed of a truck or the trunk of a car to the transom in very little time, and they are powerful.

The Next Generation of Offshore Power: Yamaha’s New V6 Four-Strokes

Yamaha’s new offshore V6 four-strokes represent a new generation of offshore outboards designed to carry on Yamaha’s reputation for reliability, offering class-leading performance, the latest in innovation and technology. This new family of four-stroke offshore outboards has less weight than the previous generation. It also has everything else it takes to satisfy offshore fisherman and boaters. These new outboards are best-in-class in many measures.

The new family of outboards is compatible with the new Command Link® Plus. Command Link® Plus uses a unique 5-inch single LCD display that is the same height as the current Command Link® square gauge to make optimum use of space. Designed for configuration by the user, it has many display options for the outboard and the boat. In addition to speed, the LCD screen can display oil/water pressure, charge level, rpm, etc. It can also display fuel flow rate, tank levels, water temperature and water depth. It operates with single, twin or triple applications. (Quad applications require two displays.)

The Powerful F350: Now Equipped with Command Link® Plus

The new F350, the jewel in Yamaha’s offshore crown, is now compatible with Yamaha’s new Command Link® Plus, the latest generation of Command Link® that allows for expansion on the current menu of capabilities. The ultimate outboard is now equipped with the ultimate electronic system.

A Great Repower Solution: Yamaha’s Venerable F250

Due to popular demand, Yamaha is bringing back the venerable F250 “Mechanical Shift” as a solution for boaters who wish to repower without upgrading to a later electronic control box. Offering a great solution for boaters who are satisfied with their boats but simply want a new outboard, the F250 “Mechanical Shift” is the perfect replacement. The F250 is compatible only with cable-type control boxes. At the same time, it has the ability to use Command Link® electronic gauges. With the use of a gateway, it can also operate with NMEA-2000® compatible displays.

I have to assume that you cant do that, but maybe put in a sleeve if it comes to that. I really don't know if that is much of an issue since usually a complete powerhead isn't that much more than a complete rebuild. Maybe if a guy owned his own machine shop that might be different story but I'd go with a complete powerhead with warranty over a rebuild any day.

Just read on the Yamaha HSOforum that this "plasma" stuff is supposed to be 60% harder than steel so I don't know if a bore job is really going to be needed. Remember, it's a 4 stroke not a 2 stroke so scoring a cylinder would require some increadible bad luck.

Aluminum Oxide is really hard too. And the vega was a 4stroke. I am sort of conservative when it comes to great new technologies in motors.

There is also 35 years of technoligical developments between them. I believe the Vega was a silicone oxide coating that would flake off and cause the oil burning issues.