• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A lot of the beans have been coming out this past week...next will probably be any sunflowers, then the corn. If the weather holds, a couple weeks the corn should be coming out.

Though like the previous post mentioned, there will be spots - and even whole fields - that won't come out because of the standing water.

I've heard there are fields in the Aberdeen area where the beans are mostly under water, water up to the ears of corn, water so deep in corn fields it would come over the top of your chest waders.

Brookings area they are starting to get after the corn. Saw dozens of combines out getting corn out this evening. Some of the lower ground is still pretty wet and may not be harvested for awhile.

The deer are starting to get pushed around with the corn coming out. Saw a very nice buck on way to hunting, a nice tall 6x6. Too bad it was about 3.5 miles from the land I hunt. Quite a few deer getting road killed lately too with all the crops coming out.

My daughter and I hunted for 3 1/2 days south of Webster and only saw six roosters. No corn is in, lots of water. We worked resonably hard but just couldn't find the birds. Everyone says wiat till the corn is in but I'd be surprised if they got it done in 3-4 weeks. Very few pheasant hunters here in town, maybe 20-25 guys. Some duck hunters have reported limited success as well.

We had fund but a few more birds would have helped.

I was in south Hand County/north Buffalo county last week for 4 days. They were working on sunflowers and just starting on the corn. Most fields we saw weren't too sloppy but my Dad did get stuck driving along one corn field. Just east of that area we saw lots of standing water.

Birds were tough to get at and we went home with a half limit. Part of that was due to our poor shooting. With decent shooting we would have come pretty close to limiting out.

We'll be back out there in early December.

Took a drive around this evening north of Aberdeen to try to shoot a pheasant or two. There is still a lot of corn standing, and some beans here and there. Combines running everywhere tonight...the corn is coming down. There are fields - corn and beans - that are underwater that likely won't get harvested this fall.

Didn't see more than a handful of roosters, but the ducks are everywhere. The deer are on the move, too. Should be a good weekend for the deer hunting.

Jarrod, thanks for the update and keep us posted on how the corn harvest is coming along. My son and I will be out your way again the second week of December and are really looking forward to being back.

Thank goodness we have had this nice long dry spell so the farmers can get at the crops. It sure was not looking very good the 1st of November.

Corn may have to wait for freeze up to get it out. The high ground is able to be combined, but the fields with lots of low ground are waiting for the ground to freeze up. The corn is dry enough, but the ground is not firm enough to get to it.

Jarrod - thanks for the updates. One guy told me that if they get snow before a deep hard freeze it won't be of much use because the equipment will break through and still get hung up in the mud. Sounds like tough times to me. Tom

I just got back from a trip and there is still A LOT of corn standing! it is being combined as quickly as possible however. Where I hunted mostly private land the corn didnt seem to really matter all that much. 26 birds for 2 guys. easily could of had our 30 by about the 3rd day of hunting if the aiming would have been a little better. overall quite successful i would say. going back again the day after christmas hope there is less corn and maybe some warmer temps and a little fresh snow! most birds I have seen in many years and lots of good cover with all the rain!

I know the season is over but I was wondering if someone would post a little info on the snow situation. Seems to me that there should be about 15 feet out there by watching the radar over the past 2 weeks.

lots of snow but it was light, so lot of it got blown around. it depends on the cover if there are shelter belts etc some spots have drifted in, others are almost blown completely off.

I also saw some info the other day that 7% of the corn crop is still standing.