• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent drags

CC Hurl

Hello to all you fellow bowhunters. First would like to say thanks for all the good info and some of the awsome stories i have read this year.

I just would like to know how some of you guys put your doe in estrus scent down. I have allways took a spray bottle and sprayed a little on leaves that are sitting like a bowl so it puddles in there. I see some of you have mentioned pulling a drag line and i have offten wondered how that is done?

Do you just soak a rag and drag it behind you and how far behind you? What about the drag getting cought up on things as you are pulling it? Do you need to stop every once in awhile and resoak it? I would like to try this method but dont want to do it wrong.

What are some other methods that have worked in the past for you guys? I have had some success with my method but you go thru the pee rather fast.

I am hunt north of Princton and down near Red Wind (welch township)and have next week of work and would love to try a drag line to see what comes of it.

This year has been tuff so far with Family things and missed opertunities. Passed on a big doe earlier this year and i am begining to kick myself for it. Talk about some wet weekends for hunting so far this year.

Anyway... any ideas on laying down doe pee would be very welcome and thanks again for the posts you guys put on here.

I am more of a reader on here than i am a poster. I guess you could say i am addicted to this sight between September and December. Glad it's archery only now.

One other thing do you guys mind sharing what brand of estrus you use. I use Whitcomes as they are just up the road from me.

Take care and safe hunting.

CC HURL

I use a drag on a stick and start walking. As of lastnight and from what happend to me I would start trying it out and see what happens becasue I had a very nice buck working like a hoover and was on a mission.

A drag keeps the scent closer to the ground similating the doe doing her "job" and keeps it concentrated on the path you want the buck to travel.

mr

I use a drag string towards the end of october almost till i manage to get a nice buck. I like to use Hunters specialties prime time doe estrus. I have had very good success with this brand. I've had the biggest deer ive ever shot follow my drag line across a open bean field right in front of me for a perfect shot. To keep it simple and cheap I use some decoy string about four feet long and just cut up a old rag and tie on to the end of it. Befor I head out i spray a few shots onto it and walk to my stand pulling it. Other wise they sell some or I have even seen ones that slip over you boot like a ice cleet. just remeber if you drag it to your stand to go in front of your shooting lane with it so you get a shot wink. good luck!

OK, I think i will give it a shot this year. No kidding tracker? Just a few shots on the rag is enough to get there attention. That was one of my next questions as to how much you put on the rag. If i wash the rag in my scent killer soap and be carefull not to stink it up other than pee should that work OK? Do you use the same rag each time or does it get to smelling like old pee and then use another one.

Lol, Funny to be sitting here talking about pee on a rag but if it works i am on board.

So at this point i am taking a stick, tying a string to it along with a rag on the other end, going to spray some estrus pee on it and draging it to my stand were i will make sure i go in front of my stand were i would like to see the animal?

Hope i am not asking to many questions on this i just want to get it right. Would be cool to see it happen at least once in awhile so i can add this method to my hunt during the rut.

Thanks for the response on my post and i will give it a shot.

Any other ideas are welcome. I think part of my concern is that for the 15 years i have bowhunted i have never hunted with anyone or even talked stratagy with any other hunters. I am sure i have missed out on good methods. Not that i have not been successful but more knowledge has got to help.

As i said earlier this sight has helped me along the way and continues too. Thanks again.

CC HURL

It more so depends on how far ill be dragging it but ya a few shots on there and it gets pretty stinky. As far as washing it i have never bothered the only time i have seen results is when the rut is really going and by that time that revved up buck will be after any kinda hot doe he can so i just freshen it up every time. in fact now that i think of it my rag is still in my hunting truck.

CC don't be discouraged if it doesn't work it's a timing thing and up to the deer to really make it happen for you. I have dragged for several years and had it work like a charm only twice but i'm in a high pressure hunting situation and I don't know your area so keep that in mind on how much hunting pressure you have around you and your buck to doe ratio.

good luck,

mr

Thanks Meat run, i will keep that in mind. I have had it work once for me in the last four years with my method. My method goes thru alot of pee and money so this drag idea is sounding good. My biggest concern was how much to put on the rag and how to keep human scent off the rag. i like the stick idea for dragging.

The land up north has no bow presure but does get gun hunted by the land owner and two other guys. Moderate presure.

The place in Red wing has no presure other than me and that is were i have seen big bucks.

Last weekend i had a nice one come out in the north hunting land Friday and sunday evening but at that point it was 6:40 and you know what kind of light i had. ( not good) I was happy to see bucks though. The rut seems to be getting started there as well. Many scrapes. Just need to get them boys moving a little earlier in the day. One of these years i am going to give decoying a try. I think it would work well in Red wing i am just to scared to throw out the decoy and have it blow it for me. Dont know until you try right?

I love this time of year as we all do and am just greatfull to be healthy enough to continue each year. Very graetfull to the land owners i hunt on as they are the ones who make this all reality for me. Thanks again for your replies.

CC HURL

back when I only hunted with rifle I had a very nice buck follow my scent drag for a quarter mile right up to my stand. Where he found his demise very quickly I might add. I would also recommend that you carry some plastic ziplock bags with to put the drag in after you get done hunting that day. Then you can put it in your pack and it still stays fresh as well. Also always put scent bottles in ziplocks, it sucks when they leak on your pack....lol

I use a 5-6 foot piece of string or small rope with a scent pad tied on one end and small spring clip on the other. Drench the pad in scent and place in a small ziplock. Once on your trail pull that out and attach the clip to the back of your pants some way. I just clip it to the middle belt loop on the back. When you get close to your stand undo clip and hang it on a branch. That way your have some scent in the area other than your own. When you are done with your stand, just stuff it in the ziplock for next time.

I always have a drag behind me when entering the woods. Early season I use Hunter's Specialties Natural Doe Urine and then during the rut I use Tinks 69 Doe-in-Rut Lure. Those are just the scents that seem to work on the deer in my area. I experimented with scents the last couple years and some actually spooked the deer.

Good Luck!

How do the does react to the smell of doe estrous? My buddy told me that he had a doe walking toward him and as soon as she hit the scent trail that he had left, she turned and bolted.

I'm all about shooting a nice buck but I also want to fill my managment tag.

Nels

The doe might of picked up his scent trail also with the drag this is why I use the stick method to keep the scent trial out of my scent path. Also as you aproch your stand circle the upwind side don't just stop and hang it up this will give you some time as the buck follows the trail and will hopefully give you manymore shot options as he trys to find the doe.