• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which full windshield glass boat?

kdawg

OK, I've settled the glass vs aluminum debate in my mind - I'm goin' glass. Now it's down to which one. I will only consider full-windshield models. I know they all are nice, but it would be nice to get feedback from those of you out there who own one, or have owned more than one of these boats. I'm looking for the dryest, most comfy ride, with good rod lockers. Also, if there are models that back troll better than others, that would be nice to know. Many thanks.

I was going to say that new Yar Craft sure looks nice and you know the Warriors are a dry ride. Im just not a huge fan of the low profile of the Rangers. Them seats are so low its a drag getting out of them.

I would also check out the Triton. They are also a very nice boat. That would probably be my 1st choice just because I like the lay out of them.

kdawg,

As mentioned on another post, it's usually the driver not the boat that makes it the driest and most comfortable. You are going in the right direction by looking at all of them. Look at the fit and finish, the layout, the storage and whatever else you need to consider. All too often one person's taste or likes is different from another. As far as Skeeter boats go, my experience has only been with their bass boats but they are exteremely well made and the fit and finish is great.

I'm looking for the dryest, most comfy ride, with good rod lockers. Also, if there are models that back troll better than others, that would be nice to know. Many thanks.

Dryest and most comfy ride is a subjective thing but my vote is for Ranger.

Rod lockers --- the only way you'll know if you like them is to crawl around in the boat and check them out yourself. Actually, the whole interior layout is probably one of the biggest decision points, so you'll have to look at the boats to know for sure. You'll also have to decide if you want a fish/play boat, or a tournament style boat, and if you want 18 or 20 or 20+ feet.

For backtrolling, you want as flat and squared off of a transom as you can get. When you're looking at boats check out the transom design and look for the ones that look like tiller boats. If you want splashguards make sure you consider that while looking at boats because some styles are not very conducive to splashguards. Or ..... face the fact that boats were made to go forward, and rig it with a monster trolling motor with autopilot, copilot, and or i-Pilot.

Hope that helps a bit, and have fun shopping.

I second Ranger....I run an 06 1850 Reata and couldnt be more pleased. Step ladder and removeable ski pole for the kids, VERY dry and Very comfy...My wife is a handicaped avid fisherwoman and loves the open floor plan and seating. Northlander is about 6 foot 5 in so getting up may be a problem in alot of boats whistlewhistlegrin (sorry buddy)...

The fit and finish is also bar none..this spring my seat had a support pop against the cover, not threw just against, I emailed a pic to ranger with my contact info and 8 days later I recieved a new seat, no questions asked on a four year old seat!

You'll also have to decide if you want a fish/play boat, or a tournament style boat, and if you want 18 or 20 or 20+ feet.

I definately want a tournament-style boat in the 18 foot range. If you have specific model suggestions, that would be great too. I've gone to some of the websites, but can't always tell what the "tournament" model is. I appreciate all the feedback.

Look at the Warrior and the YarCrafts in the 18 & 20 ft models. The Rangers are nice, but expensive.

Contact Warrior & YarCraft tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. They will help you locate a boat.

YarCraft helped me find my 2003 1895 Storm. Alot of demo boats never "officially " go on sale, it's word of mouth and they can find alot of boats that are only a few years old and you save $$$$.

How much are you looking to spend????

Be sure you actually get into the boat and spend a little time checking out how YOU fit into it. At 18' a boat with a full windshield is going to feel pretty small compared to the open single console or tiller layouts. I have a 20' FS type boat and the seating behind the windshield is fairly tight even at that length.

kdawg,

If you need any info on the Tritons let me know. I've owned Tritons since 1999, both the 205 and the 215 and they are both great boatswith good performance, great attention to detail,fit and finish and can handle any kind of big water you want to get out in.

I have a 2095dcx yar craft

i was in a tiller for 20yrs and it was a switch

but slowly i'm gettin it rigged the way i want it

you lose alittle in backtrolling with a wheel if you run it fron the wheel i'll be rigging this winter so i can sit and use the kicker to get back to that precision of a tiller

look at the back of yar crafts they are designed for the backtroller

as far as splash gaurds i took mine to a guy in shakopee (whitcaps)

he put them on while i waited and with the kicker back there i thought it would be hard but he did a nice job and they look good to and HALF the price of wave wackers

i said this before i think on another thread the storage in this boat is more than i need i have at 15 rods in the boat and room for more and can get to them quick when i want to change

i said this on another thread to

look hard be sure you are happy its alot of money and everybody on here including me thinks they have the best lol

i went to all the shows talk to alot of salesmen and more important other fisherman if you have a boat now you kinda know what you are looking for go with with gut instinct you will be happy

All very good info. gentlemen. I will be doing a lot of shopping this winter. I will probably let the layout be the deciding factor, but as far as I've read, along with all the feedback on the different glass boats, it's seems like I can't go wrong - a lot of good glass boat makers out there. If money were no object, I'd probably be looking at the 20-21 footers, but even though I love to fish, I don't get out as often as I want, so I'll probably be buying in the 18 to 19 foot range. It will definately make for some added fun this winter, because just shopping for a new boat is almost as fun as having one. Again, many thanks for all the valuable input. KDawg.

Don't overlook Skeeter. My buddy has a Skeeter 1880 and loves it compared to the 1898 Warrior he had previously.

Nope, Skeeter is on my list as well. Just keepin my eyes and ears open this winter and see what pops up.

I have a 08 1880 skeeter with full windshield, and absolutly love this boat. I had a 1850 skeeter before this with out the full windshield, the windshield is much better.

the price of the skeeter is much better than most brands, ranger is way overpriced.

I ordered the boat in march, and had it in 3 weeks. that way I picked my own colors and options. don't wait till april to order, as they told me the later you wait, the longer it takes to get your ride. up to 6 weeks.

IMG_0171.jpg

I have a 08 1880 skeeter with full windshield, and absolutly love this boat. I had a 1850 skeeter before this with out the full windshield, the windshield is much better.

Darn nice boat ya got there. Ya, Skeeter is definately on my list, but I think I'm going to limit myself to the 18 foot range. I can afford bigger, but I just can't justify it (as much as I want to) with the limited amount of fishing I get to do (maybe 5 times per year on winnie). I will definately be hitting the dealer showrooms this winter sometime. Thanks for the info. and the pic (she sure is pretty).

Oh, just realized that your boat IS a 18 footer... that's the model I'm going to keep an eye out for. I'd like to buy used if I can find the right one. Wow, a 18 footer with a two-hundy on the back... that thing must fly! wink