• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Studio Session-Senior

Earlier this year I had my first senior shoot with Kyrstin. Today she came over for her fall shoot but the weather was bad and she had a cold so we stayed in the studio(which made me happy). Please feel free to critique, I'd love to hear what you think!

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1305.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1306.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1307.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1308.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1309.jpg

I love #1, #2 and #4, fabulous!!! her eyes are gorgeous!! I sure would appreciate some guidance with how you lit for these images, as I have a set of studio lights coming and no clue on how to use them or how to place them. blush any help to produce stunning images like this of my little gal sure would be appreciated!

Sue

There you got it to work Mike. Ok you asked so I will give some thoughts.

First very pretty senior, she photographs well! My over all impression on all the shots are that you are a light or two short on all the shots. Now I know you don't have that much lighting gear so I am taking that into account. You have the photography part down, once you gear up you will produce excellent work! You are doing great work with what you have.

1 - I think the strongest shot of the bunch. What would make this perfect is a soft hair light to get some separation on the right side of the photo. You have her hair blending with backdrop. It looks like you have some background light, but it could be larger to lighten that background if you don't want to use a hair light.

2 - Again a very nice pose but the wrinkled backdrop and lack of a hair light to provide background separation of her hair weaken this shot for me.

3. I like the idea but that chair sticking up in front is very distracting to my eye. I really want to keep focused on her but I can't with that chair poking in. A higher angle would likely have worked very well with this pose. I think there is too much dead space on the left.

Just a general observation looking at all this shots before I move on. Every shot has your senior pushed to the right. While spacing like this can be effective I would not try and force it if the shot doesn't call for it.

4. I like the background and the clothing choice. I don't care for her not being centered around your background light. Pushed to the right again with a fair amount of dead space that doesn't contribute anything to the shot. Cropping tight to her makes this work better but that won't change the centering of the background light. This is the closest shot to really making her stand out. Nice hair separation from the background, a good example of what you can do with just a few lights.

5. Its a nice shot but again the right side of the shot is dark and she really is more photogenic with that smile of hers. You have all the light on the background left, with key light left and no light on the right side of the shot.

A simple white board or reflector will add just a bit of light to the fill side of your shots and I think give you a stronger photo.

Mike you have come a LONG way from just a year ago. You are out there doing some really nice work, and it keeps getting better. Keep at it, add a light or two more and you will be creating some outstanding work. I only offered my insights because you asked. If you would prefer I didn't please let me know and I will gladly remove my comments. I hope my comments are of benefit and do keep in mind there are only my humble opinion for what little that is worth.

Really glad you shared these. smile

With your permission if I could post a re-edit of the first shot I could show you a bit of what I was talking about.

Although I consider all Dan's critiques certainly valid, I would never have noticed them if he wouldn't have pointed them out. In other words, the customer or any non portrait photographer would ever see any imperfections. I'm not saying not to strive for technical perfection, I'm just saying do not discard any of these shots. They are all very good and the customer would be very pleased with them.

We have a portrait studio in town that used to use the cheapest consumer grade paper on the market for all their senior photos. I could see it as soon as my girls brought home pictures from their classmates. Without even looking at the back of the photo, I could tell if the pictures were taken at this studio. The contrast was horrible. However, this studio did a lot of senior pictures. The poses were nice and the exposures were good. The recipients just didn't notice the high contrast. They're more interested in how they look. You are your own worst critic, other than Dan. wink Others won't be so perceptive.

I do think it's good of Dan to take the time to analyze the shots and give constructive criticism from a professional's point of view. It's the only way we can really grow and learn.

Thank you, Everyone for your comments!

Sue, I will post a set up shot and some more information. I have another shoot this afternoon so I don't know if I'll get it done today, though.

Dan, I agree with your assessments. I was using a background light with a grid to give a spotlight type of look. What I should have done is notice it was off center and move it. What I did do is move around a little to get a different angle of the same pose and that put the light off center. I am a fan of negative space but sometimes maybe get a little zealous with it. smile

Feel free to edit and re-post if you'd like to. I'd love to see your perspective.

Mike, thanks for the comments. You are right, comments like Dan's are what has gotten me this far and they are what will take me to the next level. I do realize that most non-photogs won't notice that type of stuff, it is those details that separate the decent photogs from the great ones. I don't intend to be just "decent"! Thanks again, and thanks for personal encouragement over the last couple of years!

Thank you, Everyone for your comments!

Sue, I will post a set up shot and some more information. I have another shoot this afternoon so I don't know if I'll get it done today, though.

Mike, thanks for the comments. You are right, comments like Dan's are what has gotten me this far and they are what will take me to the next level.

that would be sweet if you could post some info, I'd sure be thrilled!! I'm excited about this new avenue of my passion,, really looking forward to the challenge..

as for Dan's comments, I noticed your comment about how he's "gotten you this far" and am happy to see not only his critique but your reaction to them,, it's always good to have constructive criticism on images, not all can take it,, very good to hear it's a good thing between you both. I really liked what Dan had to say about these images too, and like it's been said, I wouldn't have picked up on them either, and he's probably right that most won't even notice them, but if we as photographers can make our images better,, we know deep down that they are the best possible images for viewing!!

excellent post!!

Sue

First I would never post this type of feedback unless I was fairly certain Mike would receive some benefit from it and hopefully was expecting some form of detailed impressions from me. smilesmilesmileThis truly is a photo SHARING board not a critique forum. But if someone is looking for something more (which I think Mike does from past posts) there is no reason not to offer a more detailed examination of their work.

Mike you really don't need my advice on most anything you post here but often it is nice to see a different view of what is something very personal...our work. You've become a very accomplished photographer because you've worked very hard at improving, looked at others work, and no doubt gathered as much information as you could, and you have opened your eyes to other areas of photography. That will help you in so many ways! I recall when you first started posting you only shot birds and ducks, nothing wrong with that at all but you have branched out and it appears to me by the quality of ALL your work have found an area of photography that has grabbed your interest. And that is very cool!!!!!

Here is a quick edit of your first shot bringing some light into your background and a quick and dirty skin re-touch and slight color correction. When I do skin re-touching it is always on a layer so I can change how much smoothing I want to show through. Keep in mind it will take a slightly harder edge when printed. This also softens shadow areas giving a more pleasing look to the female face. Males I don't worry nearly as much about those things. smile

Again Mike you gave us some very nice shots, these are subtle changes but I think important details that one should consider.

Original

677142219_npaVG-L.jpg

Edit

677142221_RfVKA-L.jpg

And here is my crop and take on the second to the last shot with some skin smoothing again.

Original

677164421_UmNFn-M.jpg

Edit

677164424_kveWd-O.jpg

Thanks Dan, I love the edit on the first one. On the skin softening, I did do some on a separate layer but I'm always afraid that I'll take it too far. I think yours is a good level. I REALLY like the lighting of the background on the right side.

Apparently I like the crop of yours because after I finished a little editing of some other shots I read your reply. Here's one of them that I was working on as you were responding! smile

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=1310.jpg

LOL!!! Now that is what I'm talking about. Great minds must really think alike winkgrin Great job!!!

On the first shot you will be able to lighten the background as I did, very easy with a 5 second edit. Sometimes I like to play around with changing background colors, darkening, making them lighter just to see what comes up. Having the shot itself nailed correctly allows you some latitude to go to other lengths if you choose.

Also web viewing make its very difficult to see what level of skin smoothing takes place, they look a touch soft here on my edit but in Photoshop they looked about right. I don't care for the plastic skin look and prefer some detail to show through but that is a very personal thing.