• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

practicing without a license

alex1

Ok guys got a question, between trying to get my house finished on the outside before we get to much cold weather I'm not going to have time to bow hunt this year. Such I'm not buying a license, but the question is can I still target shoot now with the season going on w/o a license in pocession? I've tried looking in the regs to see if I could find anything, but the only thing I can find is pertaining to firearms, is this the same for archery? confused

As long as you are not in a tree stand practicing in the woods with broadheads, I would think you are just fine. I don't know why you wouldn't be, but that is just my opinion. If it doesn't say in the book that it is against regulation, than it isnt. I would think that is just assumed. You can certainly fire a gun during hunting season without needing a license.

Well that's what I was hopeing for too, but the wife says my honeydo list is pretty full for when it's to cold to be working on the outside of the house. I'm hopeing I can just sneak out and do some icefishing. whistle

Time to reclaim your man pants I think. No project would keep me out of the October woods! (I suppose I should have my wife read this now).

Have you ever built a house before? Sometimes, althought rare, things come up that take precedence over hunting.

I thought I should do this, she's been pretty understanding for the past 20 yrs, grin and with all the rebates on your taxes for energy eficient windows, doors, and siding it's tuff to pass up. Especially when we definitly needed it. frown

buck country, if memory serves me correctly, you can not fire a firearm that is legal for taking deer during the season, and 10 days before w/o a license. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. cry

You most certainly can shoot a firearm before and during deer season, they don't shut down pheasant and waterfowl hunting during that time, but there are limitations as to what kind of shell you can have in the gun and depending on the shell, where you can fire. Read the regs to be more specific, its pretty well laid out.

As far as I am aware there are no state laws that regulate you shooting a bow in your own back yard to practice, even during season without a lisc. There may be city ordinances that dictate this though depending on where you live. So if you are practicing on your own property I don't think you have a problem.

I have checked with the MN DNR on a practive we Traditional archer call roving, which simple is wandering around the woods and shooting at inanimate objects on the ground. This practice if forbidden on public land, save State Forrests since it is not leagal to hunt on State Forrest Land.

I don't think I'd do this practice on the woods on your own land though, but if you are shooting at a archery target in your own back yard I think you are OK.

... This practice if forbidden on public land, save State Forrests since it is not leagal to hunt on State Forrest Land.

I don't think I'd do this practice on the woods on your own land though, but if you are shooting at a archery target in your own back yard I think you are OK.

You lost me at this part...

Trigger, let me clarify my earlier [post, if I remember right you can not have ammunition legal for deer in possesion if not in possesion of a license. example you can't be in possesion of slugs while pheasant hunting w/o having a deer license. I know it used to be you couldn't sight in your deer gun 10 days prior to the season either, with or without a license. Maybe this has changed though. Anyone know for sure?

for the sake of knowing, from the regs.

A person who has a valid firearms big game license in possession may hunt big game during the open season with a firearm and ammunition authorized for big game.

• Possession (of a firearm) is also legal under these conditions:

a) An unloaded firearm that is cased or in a closed trunk of a

motor vehicle.

B) A shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller

diameter

lead shot or nontoxic shot.

c) A .22 caliber rimfire handgun or rifle with .22 caliber short,long, or long rifle cartridges,.22 magnum or .17 caliber.

d) Handguns possessed by a person with a carry permit.

e) On an authorized target range.