• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I don't understand why dogs eat wierd things

ironrangegemneye

So last night, I was taking out the pontoon boat, when I look over and see that my lab has something hanging sideways across his mouth. As I approached, he slinked away and I saw it was a dead red squirrel. I got the e collar transmitter and had him sit but even with some electricity, he would not give it up. Instead, he chewed it up and crunched the bones and swallowed the whole darn thing. He did not dump this morning when I took him out for his morning walk, so now I am getting a little concerned. This is all I need two days before duck season starts.

I am in the process of rebuilding my duck boat trailer and went to put it all back together yesterday only to notice a few nuts missing. I wasn't suspicious of the dog till I watched him carry off a lug nut. He is just a pup and likes to bury things so I'm sure the rest of the missing parts are scattered in the yard. Good luck with your dog and have a good duck opener.

Dan

Id suggest calling a vet to see what they might have to say. Maybe there are some vaccinations that might help reduce the chances for something bad to result. I have had dogs eat all kinds of things, 2 cellphones,500$ fishing pole,shoes,apple trees, and the list goes on and on. They do it cause they can i guess. similar to babies getting into things. just cause is the answer i think.

My dog did the same thing when he was 3 months old, only it was a dead sparrow. As soon as I went to take it away from him he swallowed it all whole. It finally came out the other end without any problems.

So far the only thing that affected him was when he ate an entire sock, that bound him up for a day until he passes it. The sock came out in one solid piece.

I just took him to get fixed on Monday and somehow while sitting in his crate he found a way to get his plastic cone off and he proceeded to eat a good portion of it. It looks like it bit off small pieces so it should pass just fine but I can't imagine how that tasted very good.

The squirrel is digestible, just ask foxes and coyotes. It just will take a little longer. I got one springer that will always look for the most rotten dead fish it an find when we go to the lake. She brings it to me so I can gag for a little bit then she eats it. Never even gets the runs from them. The more rotten the better as far as I can tell.

It too shale pass.

I just took him to get fixed on Monday and somehow while sitting in his crate he found a way to get his plastic cone off and he proceeded to eat a good portion of it.

Our dog did that a few times while recovering from a paw injury. The first couple of time he followed it up by ripping out his stitches. The final time he pulled out a couple of metal staples, which I believe he ate.

(stop reading if your eating) I had a lab a few years back, we were out in the yard, he had something trailing out of his rear end that looked like a piece of weed or something about two feet long, I stepped on it and he took off, about 250' later it was clear. Appearently he chewed the cover off one of the old rubber band core golf balls and ate the whole thing.

Sounds almost like a magic trick fishmon!

Dogs love the smell and taste of the foulest things, but then again I just inhaled the greasy muscles of a ground up cow for lunch and oh did it taste good.

Our old beagle loved batteries, anything made of plastic, and kleenex (but only if it was soiled). The thing that finally did her in was an entire turkey carcass. Then again, as kids we all put stuff in our mouths so really dogs are just like kids. Although, I can't remember hearing about a kid chewing on a dead red squirrel. That would be some story to tell the kid's first date when he/she got older!

Originally Posted By: nofishfisherman
I just took him to get fixed on Monday and somehow while sitting in his crate he found a way to get his plastic cone off and he proceeded to eat a good portion of it.

Our dog did that a few times while recovering from a paw injury. The first couple of time he followed it up by ripping out his stitches. The final time he pulled out a couple of metal staples, which I believe he ate.

I've left the cone off since last night now and kept an eye on him, he doesn't seem to be paying any attention to his cut or the stitches. He might lick at it for a second but thats about it. I figure its a roll of the dice either way. Either he potentially eats more cone which is bad or he might tear out his stitches which is also bad.

Here is an idea that I got from my vet.

One of the most effective things I carry in my first aid kit for the dog is some hydrogen peroxide. When she eats a sock, glove, or similar item I give her a couple capfulls and then take her on a little walk. Inevitably I get my gear back. Make sure to give them some water afterward, and be prepared for an upset stomach for a few hours.

Well my lab ended up not going do-do the morning after eating the squirrel but did go at lunch and has been back on his schedule of doing so for the past couple days. Looks like he is going hunting with me this weekend smile

We have a 3 month old baby boy and when we brought him home for the first time from the hospital, my dog Murphy ate the little baby hat from the hospital. The vet told me about the hydrogen peroxide trick and to mix in a little bit of water. That did the trick and the hat came back up....needless to say, we did not put that had in the clothes basket for another use by our baby.

Well my lab ended up not going do-do the morning after eating the squirrel but did go at lunch and has been back on his schedule of doing so for the past couple days. Looks like he is going hunting with me this weekend smile

We have a 3 month old baby boy and when we brought him home for the first time from the hospital, my dog Murphy ate the little baby hat from the hospital. The vet told me about the hydrogen peroxide trick and to mix in a little bit of water. That did the trick and the hat came back up....needless to say, we did not put that had in the clothes basket for another use by our baby.

Glad things worked out.

Has your dog eaten a diaper yet?

My 2 year old Yellow Lab has tried many times.

She snatches them right off the changing table.

This is followed by a jolt from her E collar.

Squirrels, baby ducks, mice,fish and dead this and that...my dog's eaten it all. My wife walks our Lab along a river and it finds all kinds of these critters and once she has her jaws on something, there is no way you're getting it back...no way!! She's never had a problem with digesting any of it.