• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trojan worm on my Dell desktop computer...

Dell desktop computer.

Some how a myterious virus scanner got on the computer and it tells me that there is a Trojan worm on it.

I used the virus scanner to "block it" but it does not work. Computer is slowwwww and causing alot of trouble.

I try to delete the virus scanner so I can put on a new one but I can not find the program that is running the virus scanner.

Could this virus scanner be the worm?

Do I need to reformat my computer? What do you guys recommend?

I appreciate the help... Thanks

Sounds like the act of clicking on the virus scanner is what caused the issue in the first place. Some of these pop-ups can be tricky.

Try downloading SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and running them both. After you do that report back what trojan was found if one was found. Good luck

Most if not all those pop AV warning are Malware. Malwarebytes is a very good way to remove them. After running that run you Regular AV too.

Good time to point out never, I repeat never say yes to anything that looks good on a pop up. Much better off going to a site and finding what you are looking for.

Yep, if you can get on-line, I would go to AVG and choose their best option and hit down load (should be three, choose the one on the right with all the checked boxes). This will down load a 30 day trial for free of their best package. This should be just enough to get this handled. It should start scanning right away and prompt you on what to do. No sign up or anything, the program will just stop after 30days. They have free lower grade stuff you can use forever, but you have to manually up date every day (which is needed with any virus, spyware, malware, threat prevention software out their) and get basis features which might not totally take care of the issue.

If you know how to enter your hard drive via safemode, this will allow you to do the scans and fix things with out the slooowwwwness of working in the non-safemode. If you need to get on the net while in safemode and have a WiFi connection, you will need to hook up the old cat5 from your HS modem to your PC to access the net. Even when the settings in BIOS are set, it seems the WiFi lan will not pull threw? I would recommend using safemode all the time until the issue is resolved.

After the virus/maleware that caused this is removed, I would back up your files or system via an external HD and restore you HDD back to factory. Then just pull the files/programs you need back to your PC as needed. If you do not care about the stuff on your PC/hard drive, just wipe it and restore.

Most if not all those pop AV warning are Malware. Malwarebytes is a very good way to remove them. After running that run you Regular AV too.

Good time to point out never, I repeat never say yes to anything that looks good on a pop up. Much better off going to a site and finding what you are looking for.

Yep Malwarebytes or even Vcleaner are also good free options.

Shackbash says it best. You have a very slim chance getting rid of the trojan you have. They are just to difficult to find and remove from you system, which leaves you with the only option of backing up existing stuff and wiping clean and reloading. After that, you will be fine. Good Luck

When you are starting your PC and it splashes starting windows, you need to be pressing the F8 key. It is a timing thing. I try to start pressing it a few seconds before that point. If you holding it too long it is going to beep at you, so a tapping sort of thing works best. Once you get it right, it will bring a menu where you can select safe mode. Safe mode is where windows loads only the bare minimum of stuff to run and is much better for removing viruses and Malware.

Another little note....

when you get the popup, even with a popup blocker sometimes, don't even click on the "cancel", try to click on the red "x" to completely close the window, or even do a ctrl-alt-del and go into task manager and shut down the "iexplore" or "firefox" application.

Sometimes the whole window for the popup blocker will take you to a different site, which could lead to different issues.

I've got a 7 year old that floats around on the web, as well as a mom and dad that are in their 70's, and both can get some interesting things going on with the computers.

We had a computer at work that was loaded with "bugs" and I followed the malware removal step on Major Geeks and was able to get rid of 256 Trojans and the computer is actually usable now. I did another friends computer because we thought it was loaded with crud and there was 4 Trojans and 3 bugs but it was the 75 plus games or puzzles that was slowing the CPU down to a crawl. It took at least 15 minutes to boot up with all the junk they had on it. It pays to clean out old junk every once in a while and then run CC Cleaner.

I now have the computer in "safe" mode but when i try to load the virus scanners that you have told me about it gives me a warning that the system administrator has set policies that prevent the downloading of these programs.

What do I do now???

Who ever is the system administrator on your computer is the person you should log in with and then go to safe mode. It is easier to put the software on a flash drive and load then to download off the web with a computer that is infected. Hope this helps and good luck.

If you use Malware Antibytes it will run in normal windows mode and on restart after a scan it will go to safe mode on its own for any deletion and then boot you back into normal windows.

I am very sure with XP (Vista for sure) that the USB port drivers are not loaded when going in via safe mode. Safe mode only loads the very basic drivers for diagnostic purposes. You will need to go into BIOS and make sure USB Legacy is enabled and there is no USB time out configred.

DELL

* After switching on your computer, let the DELL logo appear before pressing the F2 key until Entering Setup  is displayed on the screen.

* Previous versions of DELL might require to press CTRL+ALT+ENTER to access the BIOS set up menu.

* The DELL laptops will use the Fn+ESC or Fn+F1 keys to access the BIOS set up.

I would reboot your computer, while you're in the screen with the system count memory, perform one of the above options.

When you are in the chipset start up memory count, look in either the lower right or left corner for a prompt to get in the BIOS or system utilities if nothing above works.

After entering bios go to integrated peripherals/chipset config and see if your bios has USB support, look for anything with USB or USB legacy if the options I gave you do not work. Just do not change anything else wink . Also!!! If you see anything like USB support timed or limit, make sure you you set it to disabled or if no disable option, set it to the maximum amount of time it will allow. The above will make sure your USB drivers are loading in safe mode and they do not time out on you after awhile when in safe mode.

Also make sure you are using the USB ports on the back (or high speed). The front ones might not be active in safe mode, even with the above setting changed or corrected.

If the USB is a total no go, while in safe mode (safe mode with networking), your computer should allow you to get Cccleaner software (search for it and download it. Very nice thing to have anyways. Run it every couple weeks when you defrag.) This will make it easy (follow directions) to remove programs that may cause the issue. You also should be able to down load the free home version of AVG or Avast while in safe mode. Down load it and run it.

Once this scan is done, you should do a local disk check and defrag before going back in normal.

Once you go back in normal, do the anti-V total scan again. At that time back up your files and wipe the HDD and reconfigure to factory settings (I would do it no matter what. Makes for a nice clean/fresh computer). Then bring in files off your storage device as needed.

Good luck!

I would just restore the computer to factory state. Save off your pics, music, documents, etc. to an external hard drive (which you should be doing anyway) and then hit "Control F11" on the boot up screen. This will take you to a system restore screen which will bring your computer back to the way it was when you bought it. I think it's the surest way to get rid of everything bad on your computer.

Well it looks like I am gaining on this problem computer. Windows downloaded the newest update and when it rebooted the computer it found the malicious virus and deleted it. I then installed the newest McaFee virus scanner program since that is what my employer uses and furnishes it to all of our personal computers so we do not bring any viruses to the business computers.

Mcafee found several problems and deleted those also. The computer is at least working now but it is alittle slow yet.

At least we are gaining...