• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripcord and arrow flight issues?

Meat-Run

The last few years I have been shooting rage with consistent arrow flying but now am trying different broadheads and I'm having a very difficult time with my muzzy's and anything with fixed blades. Spoke with my local archery guy at GM and he says its my ripcord not dropping fast enough and my blazers are hitting every time. Does anybody else have this problem or hurd of this happening expecially with ripcords? To this day never had any problems locking in the up position or breaking off. I've had it since I bought my bow 3-4 years ago. I don't want to refletch my arrows to 4" blazers just to get my arrows to fly good so do I need to look into a different drop rest???? I need some help with 3 days to go till opener I'm almost in a panic mode!?

mr

Your problem isn't your arrows or your fletching, and longer fletchings wouldn't solve your problem as you explained it.

You have tuning issues, and tuning issues are exacerbated by larger, fixed blade broadheads. According to you and your bow tech your problem is that you are getting fletching contact with your rest. A drop away needs to clear the fletch (drop before the fletch reaches) fast enough or you will get contact as if you had a fixed rest. What you could do is rotate your nocks so that your fletch has a different orientation on the rest (i.e. cock vane up). You should also use some lipstick on the edges of your fletching and shoot your bow to see where contact is being made (if contact is being made the lipstick will rub off the fletch onto the rest). If rotating your arrow doesn't work, you can do 2 things. Either change the length of the drop away string (where the drop away attaches to your cables) slightly so that the rest drops earlier in the shot cycle and can clear the vanes OR raise the the rest on the bow to give the rest more room to drop out of the way which will also likely require you to change the nocking point.

just read on another archery HSOforum and some folks are stating its a timing issue that needs a little tweeking. I'll report tomorrow what comes of my research...ugh I can't believe this is coming to head 3 days before opener.

I've been shooting for the past 4 months with no problems until I put a broad head on. I hope others are learning from my mistake and start shooting broadheads at least a month before opener for tuning issues that may come up. thanks guys and I knew you would chime in Harvey thanks.

Stick'n Strings any suggestions haven't seen you on here much lately!?

mr

I've been shooting for the past 4 months with no problems until I put a broad head on.

Again, just to point something out, the problem was there the whole time, it just wasn't showing up with your field tips. Big broadheads (fixed blades) will show problems that field tips never will. You have likely been getting contact all summer but not noticing it since your field tips would stabilize and still group. Broadheads will "plane" when they aren't coming out of the bow properly.

The only problem with drop aways is with the newer faster bows pushing the 320 fps and more then the rest will not clear in time for the fleatching to pass. And welcome to the Fixed blade world mine was perfectly tune for the last 2 years until I had a limb break labor day and the it was back to the tuneing bord for me but got it taken care of.

After the years I have come to realize it comes with the the sport, remember the days when your bow would shoot great and the days before season the string would streach or the bow would loose it's timeing and you would have to do a marathon to get it ready for opener. Gosh I love this sport.

Well this will only be my fourth year so I can't go too far back.

My biggest problem is I always think I can make it even better. I can't just leave it alone. Gotta tinker. Then gotta tinker some more to get it back to where it was.

I love it though. I learn something each time I make an adjustment. Although sometimes I have to repeat the mistake a couple of times in order to learn the lesson. IF IT'S RIGHT LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

You know I had a similar problem with arrow flight. Tried different arrows. Did not work. Different broadhead...nope. I then took it to a pro shop in maple grove. Took 2 minutes to figure it out. I needed to turn my arrows a quarter turn. Problem solved. My fletching was actually hitting my cables on the way through. Sounds stupid but I never thought to try that. Worth the time and money to bring it in. Now I am shooting 2 inch groups with broadheads. I also appreciated that they didn't try to sell me services or stuff I didn't need. They have my business from now on.

I think it funny how people never look at there equipment until 3 or so days before the opener on anything. Now think about all the equipment that you plan on useing ie like the tree stand check to see if everything loooks ok. brand new straps for the tree , how does your saftey harness look. Not just Bow hunting but gun hunting as well check see if your gun is still sighted in and clean and lube. Hopefully people will start checking there stuff over so they can go home at night to their families safe.

Pull an arrow back and slowly let down and watch the timing of the Ripcord. Immediately upon letting down, the rest should be dropping. If not, you'll have to adjust the timing. If you have a target at home and a lighted nock, wait until just before dark and shoot a few arrows and watch your arrow flight. If the flight is wobbly, try moving the rest in/out in 1/16" increments until you're shooting darts again.

I think it funny how people never look at there equipment until 3 or so days before the opener on anything. Now think about all the equipment that you plan on useing ie like the tree stand check to see if everything loooks ok. brand new straps for the tree , how does your saftey harness look. Not just Bow hunting but gun hunting as well check see if your gun is still sighted in and clean and lube. Hopefully people will start checking there stuff over so they can go home at night to their families safe.

I've been shooting for the better half of the year on a daily basis so waiting till the last few days doesn't fly with me. All this came to a head about 2-3 weeks ago when I put a muzzy into the mix of my daily shooting regemin and noticed inconsistency with my flight. So I played with other fixed blades with the same issue because i have been using rages in the past and they flew perfect but the fixed heads exposed arrow flight issues. After further advise i tweaked or adjusted the rest as much as I could (wouldn't recomend this yourself) and I think I have the contact eliminated. My groups are even better with field tips and with my fixed/mechanical heads as of 8:45pm (dark thirty). So just during lunch hour I shot some more and it has improved but I will take sticknstrings advice and maybe try and move my rest further forward to give it a bit more clearance. Thanks for everyones help and good luck this weekend.

mr