• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is it me or the dog?

Mclovin

okay well i have a 7 1/2 yr old lab shes not over weight or anything looks great but she dosnt seem like i can get her in shape i really dont know if its just me not doing enough or if its her but if i throw a ball for 10 min. and shes tired. panting heavly? i do take her out probably 5 out of 7 days to be honest like to exersise she does what she wants when im not home its not like shes stuck in a kennel she just hangs out. and i have been doing this all summer it seems like shes just not getting into shape?

Well if you are just throwing the ball, you are basically just having her do sprints. Have you added any long distance into it?

I throw the ball for my lab also, but right about now, I start taking him on long walks through the woods where he can run in front and do his search pattern. We go several miles, and that seems to get me and him in shape for pheasants.

If your in the metro area, 3 rivers has a bunch of dog off leash areas that are between 15 and 25 acres fenced in and with weeds. (Can kind of use for training if you want with the brush and cover).

There are numberous other dogs in there with their owners and the dogs run free on the walk. you dont have to worry about the dog escaping...they just run out in front of you.

There are plenty of other dogs there and it energizes the dogs and they run around and play.

We took our pup there last weekend for the first time and she didn't stop running the whole time we were there. She'd run down the path a ways, then come back, then vere off one way and come back. Then play with some dogs passing by the other way...non stop.

My uncle just tipped me off to the 3 Rivers off leash areas this weekend.

Had my lab pup up to the lake cabin and absolutely loved it, and he was very good too being off the leash and able to run around.

I think we're going on Saturday for the first time, probably Maple Grove since its the closest to my house.

Any of the metro area dog parks are great for getting the dog some running time. I take my vizsla to a dog park on the east side of St. Paul (arlignton and arkwright) and he LOVES it. As soon as I take the leash off he's off and running to find the nearest dog to play with. He'll run all day, I have to be the one to pull him away to go home, he'll never be the one to tire out first.

Great for socialization as well for a new pup, we started bringing ours at 9 weeks old.

My uncle just tipped me off to the 3 Rivers off leash areas this weekend.

Had my lab pup up to the lake cabin and absolutely loved it, and he was very good too being off the leash and able to run around.

I think we're going on Saturday for the first time, probably Maple Grove since its the closest to my house.

Might not get busted on this one Chris, but just a heads up: on line it says the dog has to be over 4 months and have its rabies shots before they can go in to the 3 rivers off leash area. Mine just turned 17 weeks last friday so I had bought the season pass and went for the first time. If I remember right, yours is about 11 or 12 weeks?

Like I said, if no one says anything your OK, but thats what "their" rules are online.

Your right on the age and did not know they had an age requirement, thanks for the heads up!

Although given how fast he's grown, you sure wouldn't think he was as old as he is. I'm going to have a giant I think, was 27lbs at the end of 9 weeks at my vet appointment and he's not out of shape either. He sure seams to be on the ball as well, always a step or two ahead of me.

I am not a big fan of dog parks, but if you do plan on going make sure the young pup has all his vaccinations first, not just rabies.

I personally have had a few bad encounters at dog parks with aggressive dogs...and that was enough for me.

I personally have had a few bad encounters at dog parks with aggressive dogs...and that was enough for me.

My pup was the only aggressive one when we were there...not fighting aggressive, but just out to play and pester everyone else. She decided to go play tag with a great dane and they were running in a circle and the horse grin (i mean dane) ended up stepping on her head and that was the end of that game. She settled down after that crazy.

27 lbs at 9 weeks...wow. I think mine was 28 lbs at 13 weeks...but getting heavier by the day now. were the parents large?

You definitely want to make sure all the dog's vaccines are up to date. Talk to your vet about how long you should wait. My vet told me to keep my dog away from dog parks, pet stores, and other places where dogs congregate until he was 4 months. Going around dogs I knew to be vaccinated was no problem, and even encouraged, but evidently there is a subset of dog owners that take the holistic thing too far and refuse to get their dogs vaccinated. That's what you need to avoid.

Elm Creek Dog Park (part of 3 Rivers, on the North side of Maple Grove) is fantastic! Lots of prairie and woodlands with trails. Our dog loves it there. Last time we were there, he even chased up a pheasant (can you imagine hunting with a Great Dane smile ).

We've got a season pass--$30 is well worth it. We haven't had too many aggression issues. One pit bull snapped at our dog once, but in reality, the thing had 4 Great Danes in it's face, so it was a little overwhelmed. He got my foot in his chest and I kindly suggested that the owner take him and leave. Other than that, our experiences there have been great!

She decided to go play tag with a great dane and they were running in a circle and the horse grin (i mean dane) ended up stepping on her head and that was the end of that game. She settled down after that crazy

LOL, it wasn't my Dane, but I've seen it happen with ours. He loves puppies!

Last time we were there, he even chased up a pheasant (can you imagine hunting with a Great Dane smile ).

I hunted with one a couple years ago. Essentialy its primary use went like this. Walk at heel and wait for a shot. Since the dane was so tall it could see over the grass or slough and it always knew right where the bird went down and what direction to bulldoze its way to to retrieve the bird.

I thought it was great and a new method to dog work.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
Last time we were there, he even chased up a pheasant (can you imagine hunting with a Great Dane smile ).

I hunted with one a couple years ago. Essentialy its primary use went like this. Walk at heel and wait for a shot. Since the dane was so tall it could see over the grass or slough and it always knew right where the bird went down and what direction to bulldoze its way to to retrieve the bird.

I thought it was great and a new method to dog work.

That's funny!

Grab a bike and get the dog on the road. I think it is one of the best ways to get a dog running to the point they can get in shape. I know I cannot run 10 miles and the dog needs that type of distance to burn off those calories. This time of year, watch the heat and make sure you do not push them too hard until they get in shape a little.

I like to use the bike so I can get a little workout as well. I know I can use a little more work before season starts.

I dont know how well this may work for you but i use rollerblades with my lab. In about 3 months he has lost roughly 7 lbs, I usually go about 4 miles a time maybe 2-3 times a week. Not only is it good exercise to get a dog into hunting shape but it gets the owner in shape as well. Id suggest a tared surface to get the dogs pads toughened up. Otherwise try a bike and most importantly the easiest way to cut a dogs weight is to cut back on the food! I give my lab 1 small coffee can full once a day at night. Has worked well for me for several dogs that I have owned.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Most dogs shoulde be fed twice a day. It will cut down on acid issues. I feed double in the morning that I do right around suppertime.

Wear a helmet if you rollerblade. Dogs love the faster pace a bike or rollerblades provide.

(Most puppies to 4 months can be fed on demand)