• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Minnesota Restuarant (non-chain)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of folks like Big Macs, White Castles and such....just a guilty pleasure, not really a high quality dining experience.

I'd say Dave's fits more into this category. You can pretty much read your newspaper right thru the pizza and although the subs have kind of a tasty dressing on them, the ham they use is really only fit for bear bait.

No seating here either, which is good because you wouldn't wanna leave your car parked too long in that neighborhood anyway.

I really use to like the steaks at the Vineyard up in Anoka. Does anyone know why it closed? It always seemed to be packed!

I don't know for sure but my guess is they just couldn't get a good lunch crowd going and could not make it on just dinner. I will miss the prime rib!

Originally Posted By: leech~~
I really use to like the steaks at the Vineyard up in Anoka. Does anyone know why it closed? It always seemed to be packed!

I don't know for sure but my guess is they just couldn't get a good lunch crowd going and could not make it on just dinner. I will miss the prime rib!

I guess others cleared this up that the county bought the land for road work. I should have know this, I own a business in Ramsey.

Hey carpking, you must be an east sider. I worked their about 18 yrs ago when it was the Italian Oven. Good choice but any true east sider knows the the best place to eat is Savoys on 7th street.

Savoys is by far the best Pizza in town.

Another place I just tried was the Blue Door Pub. It was the best burger I've ever had. Plus one of the best List os tap beers in St.Paul. Kinda of a small place though

Lot's of good eats here.

For Pizza I like black sheep in mpls (coal fired pizza oven) best crust I have ever ate.

For coneys has to be the Gopher bar. When I have friends in from out of town the first place they want to go is the Gopher for coneys and bud.

breakfast (and a bloody) would have to be the Bayview on Mille Lacs.

seafood, Oceanair (nothing else needs to be said)

mexican, Haven't found a good one yet but will try Salsa ala salsa someone suggested above.

Burgers, Vi's on 65 in McGrath. needs nothing but a bun.

Steaks, Murray's (I know the owner)

with the wife, Heartland on St Clair. local produce turned into dishes you would never make at home.

For travel pizza I like the boarder bar in Intl. Falls. Boy does a pizza taste good after a canada fly in trip.

Originally Posted By: MNmikew
breakfast - "The Lumberjack" at Big Sandy Lodge, McGregor. Closed now cry

lunch - Coneys at the Gopher Bar, Saint Paul

Steak - Mortons, downtown MPLS.

sushi - Sakura, Saint Paul

Pizza - Savoys, hands down.

I am pretty sure Morton's is closed in MPLS now as well. Guess your stuck with Murray's or Manny's!! :} Both excellent!

Dang!

My $.02:

John Hardy's BBQ in Rochester (can't go wrong with the pork plate)

Stub's in Battle Lake (a great prime rib - never had a bad cut here & that is saying something)

Cleveland Wok on Cleveland Ave in Highland Park (not just your average Chinese buffet)

Ted Cook's off of 55 (best ribs, but you'll have to take it with you)

The Cleveland Wok is probably the best Chinese buffet I've had. I always need to start with 2 plates. One piled high with just cream cheese wontons and then the other plate for the rest of the food.

If you want another good Chinese place where you order typical entrees I'd recommend Grand Shanghai on Grand Ave and Hamline. I have brought family there that has spent years in China and they said the food is as close to the real deal as they've ever had in the US.

Wow, a lot of you had some of the same choices as I did. In the Pizza category, it is between The Vermilion club on Lake Vermilion (BAMBOOZLER!), Sammy's Pizza (order it on my way through Cloquet) and Bimbos Pizza. I had delicious walleye fingers as Porterhouse in Lakeville. For a fancy/trendy resturant, you can't beat Chino Latinos in Uptown. ANYTHING on that menu is awesome. For sushi there are a number of places around that are all good now, there only used to be a few. Steak is Manny's.

Surprised some of you are so critical of Daves.

Vi's Pizza in Biwabik and Sammy's Pizza are among my favorites also. Although Sammy's are always good, not are equally as good though, my favorites are Grand Rapids and downtown Duluth.

Phils Tara Hideaway off 36 & Osgood in Stillwater for steak and greek. Excellent steaks, and nice log cabin atmosphere.

Also Lake Elmo inn, spendy, but nice dim candelite small town feel.

Both great. Tara used to have the best ribs anywhere, but sadly no more. frown

Lake Elmo Inn for Sunday Brunch can't be beat.

First, where ever Cheffery is cooking!! coolcool . Then the Ely Steakhouse!

Aww, Shucks Finns! Thanks for the kind words. Here's my unbiased list:

Pizza-Thirsty Pagen Brewery in Superior, WI

Fine Dining-theres a few, some are no longer, Table of Contents in MPLS (closed), D'amico Cucina (closed), Goodfellows (closed), La Belle Vie, Oceanaire.

Sushi-Origami

Neighborhood Cafe-Blackbird MPLS

Thats my short list, there's alot of others I'm forgetting from the midwest.

Surprised some of you are so critical of Daves.

Vi's Pizza in Biwabik and Sammy's Pizza are among my favorites also. Although Sammy's are always good, not are equally as good though, my favorites are Grand Rapids and downtown Duluth.

I think poor gary's and vis are both alot better than daves. Sven and Oles is WAY above their league, though. I lived on the west coast for a while, so I got kinda brainwashed into actually liking pizza with a REAL crust, thats more than 1/8" thick and with fresh grated cheese, fresh veggies. People that dont get out of northern Mn are missing out on what REAL pizza is. Daves subs are okay, but what is with that meat, I cant even tell what it is, looks the pressed BAD PARTS off whatever animal it came from. Jimmy Johns is my favorite subs and Im forever ruined now as nothing will come close.