• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Much Do You Know About Flathead Catfish Game/Quiz?

Shack

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamacat Welcome to FM and the cat forum! smile

F- all of the above.

MP if you do not like the answers given to choose from, please refrain from using foul remarks towards them smirk Mod's I think we need and edit wink

laughwinklaugh

Mamacat Welcome to FM and the cat forum! smile

Originally Posted By: mplspug
F- all of the above.

MP if you do not like the answers given to choose from, please refrain from using foul remarks towards them smirk Mod's I think we need and edit wink

laughwinklaugh

Thats good

The answer to question #3 is C

"The flathead catfish is a solitary species, and generally no more than two or three adults inhabit a single unit of cover, such as a brushpile. Large flatheads are primarily fish eaters and do not scavenge like channels or blues. Flathead catfish inhabit most large streams in Missouri, and are common in the Missouri and Mississippi rivers and in most of Missouri's larger reservoirs."

Source: Missouri Department of Conservation

Figured I would toss out an easier one grin, but I figured it would come across as a trick question because solitary technically means:

1 a: being, living, or going alone or without companions

Yet they say "no more than two or three adults inhabit a single unit of cover". In the end, it is like they say:

"You can fool a bass guy, you can fool a walleye guy and you can sure fool a musky guy, but you will never cross anything over on a catguy wink "

5/15/2009

Question #4

Flatheads have been known to use what unique part of their body while clearing a site for spwaning:

A) Tooth patch on upper jaw with backward extensions in conjunction with the lower jaw.

B) Short, rounded anal fin.

C) Small eyes on top of their head.

D) Stout spines at the origins of the dorsal and pectoral fins.

A.

Clearing a site with a fin isn't very unique.

Clearing a site with your eyes? OUCH!

Stout spines? It's possible, especially when hollowing out a hole. Retract them, swim in, extend them, swim backwards and clear out the hole. Maybe what we think are bite marks could actually sometimes be injuries due to this technique? I almost talked myself out of A, but I am going with my first answer.

The answer to question #4 is A

In conjunction with a vigorous fanning motion with

their tails to clear away debris down to a sand or

gravel bottom. They will even use their mouths to

remove stubborn obstacles.

Source:Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Bureau of Fisheries Management

5/16/2009

Question 5

Which best describes the characteristic of the male flathead catfish after the spawn has occurred:

A) The male has no further duties to fulfill and the female guards the nest and the newly hatched fry, becoming aggressive toward the male.

B) The male becomes submissive after the spawn and tends to the females needs

C) The male guards the nest and the newly hatched fry, becoming aggressive toward the female.

D) The male and female coexist together guarding the nest and newly hatched fry.