• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are Steelhead a forgotten species in Minnesota now????

brad coin

I have fished for steelhead on Minnesotas north shore since the 70's some springs I dont get to, living in the metro gas prices timming of the run etc.

I went a couple of times this spring and it really renewed my fever,,however there seems to be little evidence of anybody using the sport anymore???

looking to fuel my intrest I went to local metro tackle stores to buy some steelhead tackle and MORE importantly some new books on the subject has a fix for my fever.

I found little to none,,Gander mountain, Cabelas, flyangler,B Daltons, Borders,,,Can you belive they had no "GLO Bug" yarn at Cabelas!!!! they had a form of flor yarn but not the standard stuff,,,,and Not one steelhead book at Cabelas or the fly angler!!!

the fly angler did have some steelhead tackle,yarn slinky material etc but nothing like in the past.

what is the status of steelheading in Minnesota now??? just go to the wisc Brule?????

AND can anybody tell me where I can get a "PIP"s" leader dispenser here in the metro,,,long time steelheaders know what a "PIP"s is

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I had a couple of buddies stay at Goosberry Falls a few weeks a go. They hooked in a a dozen total but Dan was the only one to land one. Beautiful 27" fish.

I have thought about getting into the sport but like you said, the timing can be difficult and it is a long drive. Last fall was my first time trying to key in on the salmon run and the pinks were in at Temperance Friday yet Friday night it rained and rained, and rained.... Chocolate milk and I got the grand skunk. I will try again this fall.

I assume the steelhead run may still be going on some parts of the north shore or is it over already?

the sport is not forgotten! This was the first year I didn't go for the spring run but have been the last few years. There are a few guys here that are avid steelie and salmon stalkers! The lower shore has peaked on their spring run but you might have luck on the northern shores. No one really carries all you need for steelies in the metro... you'll have to order from online stores. It's a bit tough now-a-days on the northern shores because there is just not enough river for the mass. Proper stream etiquette also seems to have gone out the window for some due to space. But if you stick in the trout and BWCA/Duluth forums... you'll find a few guys with lots of info. I head to WI for teh salmon run now. Seems to be bigger fish and more space to fish. GL on your search!

I released a nice 7 lb bright hen about 5 hours ago:) So theres still a few around. It is ending here in the Duluth end...the few fish i saw today were heading back out or activily on reds (not the one I caught, however). The shops up here in Duluth still cater to steelheaders, and there are plenty of fishermen in the rivers when the run is on.

The sport is certainly not forgotten, there are many, many really good Steelhead anglers along the north shore. Most of them just don't post their successes as it tends to add extra pressure to an already limited resource. Next time you're in Duluth hit up the Great Lakes Fly Company and you'll find all the necessary items to get your blood flowing.

brad, you can find Glo Bug yarn in the Duluth area. Gander, Marine General, and Fishermans's Corner has it. PIPS, I bought my first one at Jim's Bait. That was in the 70's. I misplaced it and could not find one around here. I did a search and found the company and ordered a new one. Of coarse shortly after I found my PIPS.

Not forgotten at all, in fact on the weekends it is hard to find some water for yourself it is so busy. However, I got up there on three days ago and caught at least a dozen. It was by far my best day in my four years of steelhead fishing.

My understanding has alwys been this:

MN has short stretches of good steelhead water, but most streams and rivers here have terminal falls pretty close to the river mouth, therefore, everybody has to share small stretches of stream.

I've never fished the MN steelhead run partly because I feel like I'd be intruding.

However, I am hoping to make a trip in the next year or two to fish the underutilized brook trout streams up there.

there are still some steelhead to be caught. today i got 8 from shore in just over an hour ranging from 5 to 13 pounds. the best thing was i was the only one there fishing for them. all on shallow diving crankbaits. im guessing another week and they will be tough to get from shore since they will be out in the lake.

yea it was pretty sweet. i got 5 fish on my first 5 casts. i also lost 3. pretty good landing percentage id say for using a 6'6 m action spinning rod with 8 pound fireline lol. im goona need to put some more oil in the stradic, the drag was sure workin overtime today.

it actually was just over 32. i got one pic of one i kept after i got home. i just stopped by the spot on my way to the bank and i really didnt expect to get any so i didnt bring a camera or a net or extra lures or anything lol. just got back from the spot right now and got nothing not even a hit. yesterday's timing was probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Yeah, sure.....

A 32" fish coming from the lake in April wouldn't weigh 13lbs in Superior, it certainly isn't going to weigh near that postspawn...

i just got 4 15lb steelies up by the 23 bridge...and they were only 30"