• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devil's Lake Fishing Reports

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished devils lake this weekend defiantly track vehical only. the whole lake is 12 to 24 inches of powder with hard drifts under it. The fishing was slow. fished friday night on the north end of 6 mile marked a few fish but no biters. fished all day saturday morning on the north end of 6 mile and finished the day around hagens island caught 1 white bass, 1 crappie, and 2 20 inch walleyes. sunday morning we ended up with 3 15 inchers. that was 2 guys fishing. the fish i cleaned had empty stomachs. the snow is going to make it tough.

I fished from the 12-27 to the 2nd Fished with a portable and snowcat. Didnt get that much fishing done because of the weather and wind. I think the wind helped access it blew alot of the powder and exposed alot of the slush so it froze up some. defiantly track vehical only anywhere but creel bay as far as i know. i fished from the north end of 6 mile to grahams island. 6 mile boat ramp road is plowed but not much parking. with all the weather systems going through the fish didnt bite very well. The only plus to the whole week was there were a few perch biteing. I didnt catch any keeper walleye I released 6 northern and kept 2 big perch and released alot of small ones. I marked themost fish in 18 to 24 feet of water. If you dont have a track vehical you best bet would be to go with a resort or guide. Alot of water under the snow where people have been fishing. every hole i cut had water comeing out. Lakewood ramp has the parking lot plowed and woodlands has some roads plowed.

Think I won't need to..we'll be staying at woodland resort. As I recall, they're supposed to take us to their perms from sunrise to sunset and take us back to the resort.

Wanted to know how the bite had been going...

Pretty sure they have plowed roads you'll head out on.

I had planned on hitting up LOW or Red when I had Thursday and Friday off this past week but after doing some reading I changed my mind to giving Devils Lake a shot. Called up Woodland Resort and they had a motel room available the day before. This is a top notch resort and my first experience with them but am already planning on paying them a visit again. Great service, nice clean rooms, reasonable prices, good food and drinks at the restaurant.

A buddy met me in Fargo Thursday morning a bit later than we had hoped but were on the road at 7am. We dropped off our stuff in the motel room at woodland and headed right for the lake. Set up in 43 FOW off of Military Point away from the crowd in the Creel Bay gap. With the cold (cool) front that had moved through a few days previous it really shut down the hot perch bite. Fish wood look and usually a subtle movement of the lure they were spooked. Ended up icing three Walleyes 13-16 inches mid day all on a green glow forage minnow spoon and small chub head. We should have moved to 15-20 ft for the night walleye bite as advised but stayed deep and payed for it as those that were shallow got fish that evening.

The next morning (Friday) we swung in to see if the resort had any pointers and they pointed us to the north end of the bay were a group had done well on Thursday. Set up off of a large high-line pole in 21 FOW. We were fishing by 710 am and about sunrise we steadily started getting fish. They were more aggressive than the day before and would at least chase when we jigged. Probably got 1 of 10 fish to strike. By about 0930 we had 8 walleyes on the ice (14-17) and tossed back a half dozen small fish. The next coupe hours really slowed as expected but by noon we scratched out our ten walleyes and put two nine inch perch in the bucket. Snapped off three fish (a 4-5 pound northern at the hole, 4ish pound walleye at the hole and another I never got an eye on.

Overall a fun quick overnight trip, our first on DL during the winter. Vehicles were driving all over Creel Bay and both spots we fished had 15 inches of solid ice with a couple inches of snow on the lake but no problems for driving a truck around.

1356751048964_zps937c7436.jpg

2012-12-28_13-24-36_198_zps4bb5c421.jpg

Nice report Jeremy! I was at Woodlands at the same time and had almost the exact same report. I was booked with the Perch Patrol for the 28th but when I arrived, they admitted a mistake that left me without guide service. Kyle from Woodland's did his best to point me in the right direction and I spent two days chasing fish in Creel Bay. Caught some waldos and pike, but no perch which is what I came for.

The third day I got a tip and took my family out to Six Mile Bay and iced our limit of eyes but still no perch. Fortunately, Perch Patrol had a cancellation and I was able to go out with Dave Ranstad on my final day. Great guide!!! It was a tough bite but we managed another walleye limit and six jumbos. Nothing huge, but enough action for me to definitely go back again sometime soon!

Was up there right before this nasty cold front and did really well around rocky point, had success in 12 to 22 ft with spoons and a minnow head. Lots of 15 to 16 inch eyes and a few perch. It was our first time ice fishing Devils so we were pretty happy with how we did, can't wait to go back.

Looking for some new reports - Fish, lake conditions, Ect. Bringing the kids up in 3 weeks just wondering whats going on. Anybody been out??? I just talked to a guy that was out there last wknd. He said they did well on walleyes and pike but no perch. They did best in 8-10 FOW. Everything they could do to keep the portables from blowing away in the wind. He also said they managed getting around in the truck without getting stuck.

Thanks for any and all info!!

Chomp

I was up Friday through Sunday. Getting around was O.K. People pulling permanents had to be careful and build up some steam in order to keep from getting stuck in the drifts, otherwise it was alright.

We hired a guide for Friday seeing none of us had ice fished Devils before and we ended up with 41 perch and 5 walleyes for 3 of us. The perch ranged from 11 to 13.5 inches. Saturday was a legitimate blizzard and fishing was not so good. Ended up with 2 perch and 1 walleye. Sunday we fished for about an hour in the -40 windchill and called it. Perch were in roughly 22-30 ft and the walleye were in roughly 15 ft.