• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Sock

FishinFun7

Question

Im looking to purchase a drift sock. When I purchase one do I need to buy the harness system as well? I have never used a drift sock before, how exactly are they used? Do you just hook it to the side of the boat and throw it over? Are there good/bad brands of drift socks? Thanks for any and all info provided!

10 answers to this question

If it doesn't come with the harness, I would highly recommend getting one. When deploying it into the water, the float on the harness with allow the sock to open up much faster than a standard rope. I first started with a rope, but quickly made the purchase of the harness and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

If you have kids... take one of their "noodles" and cut about 6" off it and thread it on some rope to make a harness like Borch says. I bought the harness and saw this design on Mille lacs 2 years ago and did the Homer Simpson DOH!

I've got a couple driftsocks, different sizes to match the conditions, plus having 2 is nice if you want the boat sideways to the wind.

One is one a rope, the other on a harness. They both work fine, the harness is nice but definately not needed. I use my sock with the rope more than my sock with the harness.

I use one without the harness. When drifting sideways with the wind, I throw the driftsock off the back of the boat, and put the bow mount trolling motor in and lower the speed until the boat stays perpendicular to the wind.

One thing about deploying two drift socks simultaneously (considering their tethered at opposite sides of the boat)the boat will actually catch more wind and defeat the purpose of slowing down your drift.If you use a longer rope ,say 20 feet or so you get the sock away from the boat making it easier to fish/land fish close to that side (or for /aft) ends of the boat.Just thinking about the "sock"is an adrenaline rush!c63