• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel's

Just dug out of hibernation my muskie gear and I noticed I must have 8 abu garcia's that do not function anymore, didn't realize I had so many duds. Wife said, get whatever reel you want, well that opened an interesting door. My feel is a calcutta 400TE I think. Any advice without money being a factor ? I wonder if I had gone with 2 calcutta's vs 10 abu garcia's would those calcutta's be covered in dust like my old abu's ? Any reel help/updates would be appreciated, I read the other reel post but I'm concerned if I don't spend the cash will my reel hold up, any companies with a decent we will back it up warranty ? Thanks M.B

Penn 975! Built like a rock, cast like a dream. I have tossed everything from DC13's to 4inch rattle baits and everything in between. Blows cowgirls out of the water with ease!

personally the only abu's I own are low-profile. One on my heavier bass-rod and the other is that new Revo-Toro which has yet to see the water. I can't complain about my revo, but from what I have read on here and heard at a lot of the sporting goods stores you're a lot better off fishing shimano, if that's you're only choice.

I fish a Daiwa Luna, and it's a fantastic reel. Could look into one of those too, similar price tag and build to the calcutta and I've never read a complaint. That's not to say these reels are perfect by any means, but I think for your money a Shimano or a Daiwa are your best bet.

If ewe dont want to spend the $$$ on the TE, the 400B is 1/2 the cost and still an awsome reel($230). I run them on my rods and my guide rods. Havnt had one fail on me yet.

Duck

I forgot to state earlier, if weight is an issue at all and you want a light reel I would say go with the Shimano. I'm assuming the difference is fairly slim, though i haven't looked at the specs, but after fishing all day with my Luna, then taking a cast with my buddy's calcutta, the calcutta feels like air in my hands.

Probably comes down to the fact that everything except for the grips on the luna is made of some kind of metal, be it some kind of bronze or aluminum. but it definitely has a little more meat on its bones.

after checking the specs it's really only a little more than an ounce difference, but to me it's noticeable.

Having both the Luna and Calcutta B in the boat for a summer, get the Shimano. Both Lunas we ran needed fixed after limited use. Another reel I like is the Okuma Induron, so far its held up great but only 1 season on it. I used it for big rubber only last year, this year its on my Loomis for jerkbaitduty.

If money isn't an issue then you need more than 1 reel.

400 TE would be good for everything except double 10s imo, as far a reel for those, I have ran 7000s for the last 2 years and they are ok but I don't throw many double 10's, if I did, I would have gone through a few of them. Maybe the Daiwa Saltist, Trinidad or Toro. This year I am going to run the Toro 60 low speed and I am going to love it...

Maybe even enough to retire my Calcutta 400 and get a Toro high speed too...

time will tell on that 1.

Having just bought the revo toro 60 and boated a few sturgeon with it, I would not hesitate to tear into any thing that swims with it. A lot of guys on LOW's are using them for musky this year. I have no doubt that they will hold up well.

I use Daiwa Lunas and like them, I could'nt pass up the good deals on them. I've only used them one summer but do not fish 4-5 times, 8-10 hour days like some guys do. I also like the Shimano line up as well, reels do break, just take care of them and will last longer in the long run.

... 400 TE would be good for everything except double 10s imo, as far a reel for those,...

10,000 - Why don't you like a 400TE for Double 10's? I planned on using my TE for double 10's, haven't tried it yet but figure it will be easier to crank.

Don't mean to speak for John, but I tend to agree. They will work, and feel good and smooth, especially if you reel them slowly, but the gear isn't as big and tough and won't hold up as well as a few others if you are throwing the big blades regularly and fast with it.

Thanks Propster - For now, I don't plan to burn D10's with it, so I think I will be okay. I picked up a Toro 60HS to burn smaller bucktails (showgirls, etc).

I can see going to the Saltist/Trinidad/etc for burning the big bucks, but I wouldn't think the Abu Toro gears would be any larger/tougher than the 400TE's. I think John implied he plans to use the Toro for D10s. It'll be very interesting to see Toro reviews as we get further into the Muskie season.

I agree time will tell on the Toro, though I believe the gear is bigger - that's the oversized bump in the housing you see on the side. I will try one myself, but not for "burning" big blades, just slow rolling, and see how it goes. Generally I wouldn't want that high a gear ratio (5.4:1) for a bait with that kind of resistance but we'll see how it goes.

Even the all mighty TE will burn up too. If you fish alot, they take alot of abuse. Put a power handle on there and the abuse is greatly increased.

I haven't opened up a Toro yet. I am basing my opinion off of the inshore which is a very solid gear system. I can't imagine that the Toro is any less. I am going to get the 5.4 gear ratio. I also know 3 stores that will give me a new one if it does [PoorWordUsage] out this year. You guys are right, time will tell.

The Saltists are pretty sweet and it's tough to argue against a Trinidad.

Thanks again guys, now I'm afraid to throw big cash at any reel. My luck that TE would crash by the 4th. If my boat partner buys one it'll last for a decade. I'm looking for a reel that I can fly that bait back to the boat with.