• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

true story

this happened to me last summer

One day I was out fishing for bass on a lake that had alot of stumps along the shore, when I noticed a squirel (sp) trying to find the courage to jump onto one of the stumps to gather up a nut that had fallen on it. After about 5 or 10 minutes of pacing up and down a overhanging branch he managed to jump perfectly on the the stump. the squirel, looking proud of his acomplishment begun eating the nut when all of a sudden a big fish jumped out of the water and took him below water. I was shocked after seeing this because I never really expected to ever see anything like it, but what happened next was even more amaizing... the same fish came back and put another nut on the stump. wink could be true...

does anyone have any true stories of pike/muskies eating a small animal?

Good story BK. smile

I remember as a kid looking through the Herter's catalogue that they used to sell a little harness device that you would tie onto a duckling. The harness had two treble hooks on it. I guess in years gone by it used to be legal to use ducklings as bait for big northerns & muskies. The angler would tie this rig on his line, and flip the duckling out near the weeds and lily pads.

Which begs the question: If you toss bread on the water to attract ducks, is that like chumming for muskies? wink

lol could be... kinda like fishing near the beech, I swear the splashing attracts big fish. I have cought some of my biggest fish near beeches.

A family friend who runs a fishing lodge in ontario reportedly saw two birds fighting in flight, one was injured and fell. As soon as it hit the water, a big musky chomped it. It must have been watching the whole ordeal from below.

last summer i saw a gosling goose caught in fishing line im assuming. the next thing i knew a big pike grabed it...... this was summer so the goose was a little more than the pike could chew so about 20 seconds later the goose poped back up still caught in fishing line.

Which begs the question: If you toss bread on the water to attract ducks, is that like chumming for muskies? wink

Ummm...Yes. My daughter and I were on the dock feeding the duckies one spring when all of a sudden, "Spaaaloosh!!!" one of the ducklings goes MIA. My daughter was like 6 at the time and she was not happy that something would eat a cute fuzzy ducky. It was a big Northern as our lake does not have Muskies in it.

I was musky fishing on a local metro lake and I saw some comotion on the top of the water. I casted my lure over there, but had no takers I went a little closer and realized it was a 7lb walleye being eaten by a 25lbs snapping turtle.

i've had some pretty strange happening's on the water but the one that stuck out when i read your post was just missing a full grown duck dissappear. i was on the river fishing waldo and cats and a couple ducks were swimming just inside an eddy about ten yards or so away. i turned around to grab my coffee and heard a loud splash and a duck going nuts. i snapped my head around and there was one duck on the surface going ballistic and clearly a major ruckus just beneath the surface. the duck above was quacking so fierce it sounded almost like a squeal and a growl. it was weird. it was dipping it's head and was, what looked like, pulling and fighting something flapping it's wings like a mad man. the other duck popped up maybe 30 seconds or so later and both ducks hightailed it to shore. the rescuer was flying and the victim was more like running on water, lol. it was injured i'm sure and feathers were all over the waters surface but about a half hour later they both flew off. kind of cool really. i never did get to see what took it but it was a river so who the heck knows for sure. i know theres a huge snapper in the area that's been there since i was a kid. he was huge then and just keeps getting bigger. i see it here and there. cat mabe. pike/ muskie. who knows but i'll remember it forever.

heres one... im not sure who I heard it from or who the guy even was but anywho,

This guy just caught a norther so he went to was off his hands in the water when all of a sudden this musky comes up and grabs his hand. Apparently the flash from his wedding ring attracted it. he needed like 20 stitches.

moral of the story; don't get married wink lol jk

oh i think maybe I saw it on the internet some place...

The summer after 9th grade I went up to canada for walleye opener on White Otter lake. It was the middle of the day and the waldo's wernt biting so i decided to throw a rat-l-trap or some equivilant of that. I was just pulling the crank up to the surface and about an inch below the water a pike (probably about 32") came up and SMASHED the bait. Well it didnt hit it well enough and swam off. After going back to camp and changing my shorts, i was back on the water catching SMB after SMB on topwater.

My brother in law was fishing with one of his cousins and fishing was slow. His cousin was screwing around and getting ready for a very over exaggerated cast, putting his arms and the rod way over his head/behind his back, so far that the spoon touched the water on the other side of the boat. Just as he was going to let loose and give the spoon a mega cast, a good sized northern hammered the spoon. He just about broke the rod in half as he came forward with it as the pike headed under the boat.

not a pike but...

My buddy had a fish pond in his gravel pit that he and his brother dug out. They kept some sunnies and two nice bass in there. They would feed them minnows and other things. Well one day we found a mouse in his grain bin and threw the mouse in the pond. about 2.6 seconds later the larger bass exploded on the mouse. When the dust settled we could see the bass with the mouses tail sticking out of its mouth. This was when we where 11 so it was pretty cool for us.

this happened to me last summer

One day I was out fishing for bass on a lake that had alot of stumps along the shore, when I noticed a squirel (sp) trying to find the courage to jump onto one of the stumps to gather up a nut that had fallen on it. After about 5 or 10 minutes of pacing up and down a overhanging branch he managed to jump perfectly on the the stump. the squirel, looking proud of his acomplishment begun eating the nut when all of a sudden a big fish jumped out of the water and took him below water. I was shocked after seeing this because I never really expected to ever see anything like it, but what happened next was even more amaizing... the same fish came back and put another nut on the stump. wink could be true...

does anyone have any true stories of pike/muskies eating a small animal?

Thats kind of entertaining but I have a actual article with that same story that was published in the in fisherman mag about 15-20 years ago. The story that is on that article is fiction based. I wouldn't doubt it happening but.........

Your story reminds me of a time I was fishing up on rainy. We were just off shore and a group of ducklings jumped in and started playing around. 5 minutes later a huge pike comes out of nowhere and inhaled one of the ducklings whole. Literally 30 seconds later it happened again, I don't know if it was the same fish but I will never see anything like that again in my life.

When I was about 12 we were down by a bridge and some older kids were shooting pigeons on the bottom of the bridge. They would fall into the river, and in a matter of seconds, gone. I asked what was happening and they told me some big catfish were eating them. A few years ago we had an eagle come down on the coulee and grab 2 ducks on the thin ice and fly off.