• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water flashers?

Bottle Fish

I was just curious to know does anyone convert thier ice flasher for open water? EX: Vex or MarCum

What transducer do you prefer? A puck transducer, high-speed transducer or a alumaducer? And why?

And finally how well do they work in open water?

I am thinking of getting a transducer for open water and am wondering if they perform well enough to bother. Or if I would be better off getting a separate locator for open water.

I run my FL18 off of my Maxxum with universal sonar. I really, really like it. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a graph up there as well. The only downside of the flasher, at least for me, is when fishing 20 to 30 to 40 foot breaks, you have to switch the depth thing often. Plus having to do all that math grin

Just so you know, there have only been a couple of times where I could see my jig on the display while fishing open water. That was anchored in perfectly flat water. It isn't like ice fishing.

I just like the flasher because I have a lot of confidence in them and when I see a "blip" I know it is a fish (or at least I believe it).

Give it a try. You already have one, so there isn't a whole lot of expense to add it to the boat. Those flashers are bulletproof as well.

I got the open water ducer last year for my FL 18 and tried to use it 3 or 4 times but it didn't really work out for me that well. I'm not saying no, just that I couldn't wrap my head around what it was that I was seeing - or not seeing.

There's still some guys that love their flashers for open water and wouldn't be without them.

For me, I like the graphs and fishfinders better for in the boat. It's been several years since I had a flasher in my boat and I haven't missed it at all. I use my flashers for ice fishing all winter long, then put them in storage for the open water season.

It really just comes down to personal preference and what you want to spend.

If you ever anchor you can just throw the transducer over the side and mkae it happen. I do that some and it works great. We nail perch that way. If you cant see your bait the flasher kinda loses its appeal. But anchored when you can see your bait, it really works well.

I previously used my vex in my old boat hooked up to my bow mount. I did not like the way it performed so I did not even mount it in my current boat. Like ProV stated I thought I would have a ton of confidence in it like I do ice fishing.

Also like previously stated you rarely, if ever, will see your lure.

I had my Lowrance quit working on me for the last 2 days of a week long trip to Rainy Lake. I thought no problem I have the vex to use. That was the first and last time I ever used it for open water.

My main dislike of the graph is that it does not record like a graph will. So, with a flasher, unless you are looking a the unit the second you go over a fish you will miss it. With my Lowrance, or any other unit, the information slides across the screen for you to view bottom/fish/structure. I know a lot of people use flashers for open water and swear by them. Just did not work that great for me.

MATT

Yes , your flasher will work great in open water and converts easily with a high speed ducer on the bow or transom, however Pucks are better on trolling motors etc. These units were designed for open water in the beginning --not ice fishing, they were adapted to ice fishing over the years. Anyway, I run both at the same time graph/vexi, but rely on the Vex 80% of the time, its your choice, but over all flashers or easier for most anglers to use. Good Luck

I use my lx-5 on my bow mount when I troll. It gives me an instant depth reading on the bow . If I wait to read My graph on the dash the front of the boat is already past the (weedline, break, etc.) and makes it hard to stay on top of what you want.

Granted the Showdown isn't a "flasher" but overall it's functionality is that and then some. And it has an autorange so you don't have to mess with the range. My dad runs his on the bow and likes it a lot.

When I ran a Vex they went on my bow in the summer with a puck on the trolling motor. Now I run LX-5's and will run one on the bow once I get a puck. I don't use them as much for finding fish more for depth and since I have it why let it sit unused.

My boat came with a paper graph and an FL8 side by side. (yeah, I've had it a while). I used them both at the same time until I learned what I was looking at on the flasher. I feel I can read the flasher better than a graph. I run a high speed transducer and it works perfect. The big plus is the instant reading. I run rivers most of the time and the grapher is too slow. With a little practice, anyone can tell the difference between sand, mud, rock, gravel, weeds, minnows, fishing laying on the bottom, etc... Think about: The fish swim faster than the screen scrolls.

My 2 cents.