Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mascad

You guys eat your cats?

26 posts in this topic

Just curious, I know the big flatheads aren't eaten, but what about the channels? Do you eat them only certain times of the year, like when the water is cold?

Smaller catfish are good eating, more so in cooler water. I personally don't keep them to eat, I release them so I can catch them again.

Just curious, I know the big flatheads aren't eaten, but what about the channels? Do you eat them only certain times of the year, like when the water is cold?

Channels are good to go for a meal at all times of the year IMO.

Keep 'em under 5-6lbs, make sure you cut out the bloodline and any yellowish tinted meat (found near the belly and fin locations), and enjoy prepared your favorite way.

Catch and Release.

Fishnjosiemom005.jpg

...into the oil. laugh

Fishnjosiemom023.jpg

Good eating in colder water...just keep the backstraps.

Just got done throwing back some LOW walleye and sauger. extra yummy

I had a little flatty under 3lbs take the hook too deep one night and had to bring it home for a meal. Delicious!

Ya the pond kinda between you and I Ace has some delicious tasting kitties in it. Water is nice and clean and there doesn't seem to be and parasites on them.

I keep maybe three channels a season. No flatheads as they are all returned to catch again.

I might keep some little guys from the Croix, but I am not taking chances with Mississippi or Minnesota channels.

Quote:
You guys eat your cats?

My wife would kill me if I ate Fluffy or Spooky wink Plus I think I would be in hot water with the ASPCA if I ate my cat grin

I've kept a few over the years that are under 4lbs. Cold water channels out of the MN are tasty (50F or less).

One of my favorite fish to eat in the spring

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 cup flour

1tsp salt

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp course ground black pepper

mix well.

Dip prepared fish filets into corn meal/flour mixture

Cook in medium hot skillet in 3 tbs olive or canola oil

Cook one side until brown turn and cook until done. Cooking

time will vary depending on thickness of fillets..

Baked Catfish

Place trimmed filets into pan.

Prepare

3 tbs melted butter or olive oil

1 large clove garlic mashed heated in the oil or butter until

you start smelling the garlic. Do not allow this to get too hot.

Remove from heat and remove the garlic from the oil.

Generously baste fish with garlic oil - Salt, pepper then

add a sprinkling of dill weed over fish.

place pan in preheat oven at 400 degrees.

Bake until fish flakes. Time is dependent on fillet thickness.

STUFFED CATFISH

2 tbsp. margarine

1/4 c. chopped green pepper

4 tbsp. chopped onion

1/2 c. bread crumbs

1/4 tsp. oregano

4 tbsp. lime juice

1 tbsp. parsley

1/4 tsp. salt

4 catfish fillets

2 c. water

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 bay leaf

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Melt margarine in skillet, add green peppers and 2 tablespoons onion. Saute until onion is transparent. Add bread crumbs, oregano, parsley, salt and one tablespoon lime juice then mix well. Spoon dressing down center of each fillet. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. In shallow baking pan, combine 2 tablespoons onion, water, garlic, bay leaf, red pepper and remaining 3 tablespoons lime juice and place catfish in pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, baste fish until it flakes easily.

SPICY CATFISH

1/4 c. melted margarine

3 tbsp. lemon juice

Catfish fillets

1 1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning

1/2 c. almonds, chopped

Combine margarine and lemon juice and dip each fillet. Arrange in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Pour remaining margarine and lemon juice over fish. Sprinkle fish with Creole seasoning and almonds. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

smiley-eatdrink061.gifsmiley-eatdrink020.gif

I'll keep it under 200 post tonight whistle

AWW comeon!

we keep smaller cats out of fountain in albert lea. anything under 3 lbs. the lake is loaded with them and not many people are after them. we fish them from may-oct. its the easiest meal to come by on the lake and delicious