Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark13:33

warrior 1890

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking at two boats and know how much you guys enjoy weighing in with information. Both are 1890 warriors and the pricing is a big reason I'm looking at them. The difference is in the engine. A 115 Merc (XPS I believe) or a 140 Suzuki. Which would you go with and why? What are your thoughts on the push button steering and what are some positives and negatives regarding the boat?

That 140 Suzuki is a sweet motor. I saw one on the back of a Ranger 690T last year and they trolled on by and I was wondering how they did it. They were within 10 yards and the motor was absolutely silent. From what I have heard, they are great on gas as well. Pick that one for sure, even if it is 2 grand more just for the motor (not considering electronics), you will be very happy with it.

+1 for the 140 Suzuki. I've got one and love it. I've drooled over that same set up you're looking at. Very nice rig. "Push button" steering also get a thumbs up. Good luck and "Stand Firm," Mark 13:13! Whoops, Mark 13:33- Looks like "The time" for you new boat "has come." Enjoy the new boat, whichever you get!

I have an '07 1890 with a 115 Opti-Max on it and am very happy with that motor so I wouldn't say you have to get a Suzuki. The 115 Opti pushes the boat around 42 mph lightly loaded.

How does that one "troll down"?? Is it quiet enough to troll shallow on a quiet nite?? Just curious. I love to power / speed of an Opti, just curious about the other side of the spectum??

You will love the push button steering. It is great. Go with the 140 Suzuki. I have never heard anyone talk bad about that engine. Enjoy your new Warrior.

Jason Erlandson

How does that one "troll down"?? Is it quiet enough to troll shallow on a quiet nite?? Just curious. I love to power / speed of an Opti, just curious about the other side of the spectum??

I can troll down around 2.5mph then I have a vantage to get lower then that. Merc now has a "Big Tiller" control for the Opti that will let you dial down the RPM's even lower just like on the mid-size yammies. Mine was a year too old for that option but our local warrior dealer has one on a boat there.

I wouldn't say it's as quiet as a 4-stroke but you would be amazed at how quiet it actually is.

Thanks guys, just a couple more questions,if you were going to put a trolling motor on the rig would you recommend the vantage or is there a better unit out there? It seems as if the vantages we've run always have problems. Secondly, I'm use to running a 20' boat be it a ranger or lund, are those two feet of boat hard to give up? I was in one the other day and they seemed somewhat smaller. The price however I can't complain about! I'm a yamaha guy, but it sounds as if the suzuki engines are quality units...How does that 140 backtroll, is it slow enough?

I've run my vantage for a little over a season now and I wouldn't be without one ever again!

When they are working correctly / not broken, the Vantages are great. Seems too "gadgety" with too many things to go wrong. One small thing and the whole units is useless.

I've got a Vector, and will never get another. Way to clumbsy getting it up and down and set to right height.

The Traxxis looks promising. Haven't seen it in use yet, but ads make it sound very easy to deploy, and not have to rely on all the moving parts that come with the Vantage. Good luck.

GO WITH THE 140!! you will love the engine i have heard thats the best outboard out there its a sweet engine.

Mark, I run a 1890 Warrior with a 140 suzuki. It has been terrific. Quiet sometimes do not know it is running. With the price of oil for outboards the 140 will be a big plus!With a light load in your boat will push about 44 m.p.h. Hope this helps! Jack Shriver

I've had good luck with my Vantage I guess. Did have to stick in about $200 after 6 years of use. Can't even come close to how slick the stearing ratio allows you minimal handle movement to spin the lower unit 180 degrees. I couldn't live without it now.

Hey there Jack. Missed the tourney up at NLLC the past couple of years. You know my uncle from Glencoe (Gene). Hopefully that rings a bell on who I am.

Not really familiar with either motor but all I can say is Jack has run a lot of water over the years and if this rig suits him, it has to be good!

What I meant is the roughly 4x steering. Point being is that on the Vantage, it only takes a movement of I'd have to say about 22.5 degrees from center with the handle to turn the lower unit of the trolling motor 90 degrees (movement 22.5degrees both ways from center would spin the lower unit 180 or completely in the opposite direction). I run a 1775 Lund ProV and just like many of today's tillers, a "regular" trolling motor would have you leaning way out of your seat to do the same thing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• You be lucky if there isn't a nest in the seat, and pee all over the carpet....
    • If one were measuring the debt in constant dollars instead of nominal dollars, 5% inflation reduces it by 5% of the $20 Trillion.  That is a trillion dollars.    Is that hard to understand?   Debt is only significant in relation to GDP and ability to pay.   Consider a thought experiment.   You own a thousand dollar 30 year treasuries paying 3% which is the current going rate.   So the government owes you 30 dollars a year, and a thousand dollars in 2046.   If inflation were to increase to 5%, the value of your thousand dollars goes down by 50 dollars per year.   In 2046 you get 1000 dollars which is equivalent to $215 today.   Which is a bigger problem to pay, the $1000 that you are complaining about or the $215 that actually gets paid?      Inflation has its problems but it also fixes debt concerns.  
    • So the Pence thing wasn't at a local level?   That what you were saying?     And the difference between subsidizing out of state folks and in state folks is?  Johnson subsidized the california folks coming to new mexico for a few weeks, and pence is subsidizing, by a factor of 7 less, local people keeping their jobs.     Got any numbers as to how many jobs for how long created by the Johnson hand out to Hollywood? 
    • Some other small detail items before I get to the finished pics of the entire house.   Each bench has a built in UV jig glow light.  You never have to worry about finding your keychain light (or the dead battery they always seem to have) again!   The normal bench cushion back always seems to be falling down.   I had each cushion sewn with a tab, and then installed a grommet and a hook on the wall.       On the back side of each wheel well is a rod storage compartment for 4 rods, an ice scoop, a forceps, and a few small hooks for miscellaneous stuff.   I mentioned the under cabinet and under bunk lighting in another post, but here it is in action.   And another view of my charging cabinet, with rattle reel storage.   That's all for now.  Finished pics soon!
    • I've had others, but I am a Bushnell fan.
    • Version #1 of the lift bed was a marvelous failure.  Everything looked great while building and installing it.  It was probably the most precise piece I've ever built.  The trouble was multi dimensional binding, as was pointed out in an earlier post.     Version #2 works well.  The strut channel and trolley works great, and doesn't allow any binding. You still want to lift or lower evenly, but it is really forgiving.     This is set up with 4 locking positions.  2 storage, and 2 sleeping.  I expect this to become the most frequently used bed in the house, rather than dropping the table down all the time.    The extra head room with this in its highest position is wonderful!  It isn't a direct replacement for pushing a button on the Happi Jac, but at about $1900 less, it'll work very well.  
    • This will be a bit long winded, but by far the most frequent question I get is how to wire these.  I'll try to detail as best I can.     Starting from the outside of the house I have a regular 30amp RV plug, similar to this:   From this plug I have a heavy duty 10/2 wire running to my converter, which is a Progressive Dynamics PD4045.  The nitty gritty details can be found with a search, but to summarize, it powers all your AC components, and converts AC to DC power, and charges any batteries.     My only AC components are outlets, the heating element for the electric part of my water heater, and a future expansion for a roof mount air conditioner.  Everything else is DC, and I don't use inverters (which would be used to convert 12v battery power to AC).  My reasoning is that the inverters are generally inefficient, and I have a Yamaha generator that will run over 14 hours on a gallon of gas.  That equates to about $6 per weekend with the amount I use it.             AC wires from the power panel include 10/2 to both the future air conditioner, and the water heater.  All outlets are 12/2.   I also have 10 gauge wire running from the panel to my (2) 6 volt GC2 (Sam's Club) golf cart batteries.  These are connected in series with a very heavy duty 0 gauge cable to make 12 volts.     The DC side is a bit more complicated to explain.  I have it set up in 2 categories.  (1) would be frequently used or higher draw components powered directly by the converter, each on their own fuse in the power panel.  This includes furnace, interior lights, exterior lights, ceiling fan, hydronic pump, sink pump, water heater ignition, stereo, and hole lights.  These all have a + wire from the converter to wherever the switch is located, and then continuing on from the switch to wherever the main power wire is for each component (more on this later).           Behind the converter I have a simple metal grounding bar to make all the - connections, and I have one main - wire running back to the batteries, and also grounded to the frame.         Category (2) are less frequently used, or very low power draw, or items with their own switch.  I have classified these as "always on".  This includes my two front exterior lights (so I can flip them on from the outside of the house), tv antenna, roof vents, rear bunk overhead lights, under cabinet lighting, range hood, etc.  These are all powered from the converter on a single fuse (20 amp).   So that brings me to the bathroom wall.  Knowing that the connections are by far the most likely failure point, I want to minimize the number of hidden connections buried by the spray foam.  Each light or fixture has its own separate wire to either the power panel, or my connection point in the wall.  This was taken before I got everything tidied up for spray foam, but you can see the plywood panel in the bathroom wall.         The other side of it now looks like this:    All the wires are brought down from the ceiling through the bathroom wall, with the connections made here.  You can see each has a + and - terminal bar, and then there is one other main grounding bar at the bottom, with a heavy 10 gauge - wire that runs back to the batteries and is also grounded to the frame.   So that's wiring in a nutshell!        
    • Looks like the rust belt should of went with a better rustproofing package.........     Donald Trump may have positioned himself as the champion of American workers but Republicans on the Hill are already embracing his “do as I say, not as I do” modus operandi. Under the backing of Paul Ryan, the GOP leadership stripped a provision from a water bill Monday that would have required American-made iron and steel products to be used in infrastructure projects in Flint and elsewhere funded by the Safe Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF). Democratic Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown blasted Republicans, who removed the “Buy America” provision (which passed the Senate with strong bipartisan support) while the House and Senate were reconciling the bills. In other words, GOP leadership scrapped it behind closed doors. “By stripping meaningful Buy America rules from the water infrastructure bill, Washington leadership is choosing China and Russia over Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin,” said Brown. “This was the first major test of whether Washington establishment Republicans would live up to President-elect Trump’s promises to put American products and American workers first – they failed, and American iron and steel workers will pay the price.” Now, Brown is teaming up with Democratic Sens. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania to insert the provision back in the bill. They want to reattach the provision to a nearly $12 billion Water Resource Development Act (WRDA), which authorizes dozens of infrastructure projects around the country and is on track to pass the House this week. “I’m not giving up on this fight,” Baldwin said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “Why would we pass a bill that only benefits Russian and Chinese steel corporations when we could be providing certainty to American manufacturers of steel and iron?” That sentiment was shared by some steel worker groups earlier this week: “From our end it’s a little baffling,” said Roy Houseman, a legislative representative for the United Steelworkers. “It’s been a program that’s been really successful, and it has bipartisan support. We’re just very confused by the Speaker, who’s not listening to the rest of his caucus.” In essence, “Buy America” sounds as nice to Republicans as it did to Trump, but in practice they would rather preserve the "Buy Chinese" option that Trump uses to build his skyscrapers.
    • If there are any twins fans left, I wonder if these new young bucks running the club have asked mauer if he would lift his no trade clause?  I think we know the answer.  I find it interesting to watch these winter meetings trades etc but we are never involved.  It seems like we are missing something as fans.
  • Our Sponsors