Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark13:33

warrior 1890

21 posts in this topic

I'm looking at two boats and know how much you guys enjoy weighing in with information. Both are 1890 warriors and the pricing is a big reason I'm looking at them. The difference is in the engine. A 115 Merc (XPS I believe) or a 140 Suzuki. Which would you go with and why? What are your thoughts on the push button steering and what are some positives and negatives regarding the boat?

i would go with the 140 suzuki forsure! Alot better motor!

That 140 Suzuki is a sweet motor. I saw one on the back of a Ranger 690T last year and they trolled on by and I was wondering how they did it. They were within 10 yards and the motor was absolutely silent. From what I have heard, they are great on gas as well. Pick that one for sure, even if it is 2 grand more just for the motor (not considering electronics), you will be very happy with it.

+1 for the 140 Suzuki. I've got one and love it. I've drooled over that same set up you're looking at. Very nice rig. "Push button" steering also get a thumbs up. Good luck and "Stand Firm," Mark 13:13! Whoops, Mark 13:33- Looks like "The time" for you new boat "has come." Enjoy the new boat, whichever you get!

I have an '07 1890 with a 115 Opti-Max on it and am very happy with that motor so I wouldn't say you have to get a Suzuki. The 115 Opti pushes the boat around 42 mph lightly loaded.

How does that one "troll down"?? Is it quiet enough to troll shallow on a quiet nite?? Just curious. I love to power / speed of an Opti, just curious about the other side of the spectum??

You will love the push button steering. It is great. Go with the 140 Suzuki. I have never heard anyone talk bad about that engine. Enjoy your new Warrior.

Jason Erlandson

How does that one "troll down"?? Is it quiet enough to troll shallow on a quiet nite?? Just curious. I love to power / speed of an Opti, just curious about the other side of the spectum??

I can troll down around 2.5mph then I have a vantage to get lower then that. Merc now has a "Big Tiller" control for the Opti that will let you dial down the RPM's even lower just like on the mid-size yammies. Mine was a year too old for that option but our local warrior dealer has one on a boat there.

I wouldn't say it's as quiet as a 4-stroke but you would be amazed at how quiet it actually is.

Thanks guys, just a couple more questions,if you were going to put a trolling motor on the rig would you recommend the vantage or is there a better unit out there? It seems as if the vantages we've run always have problems. Secondly, I'm use to running a 20' boat be it a ranger or lund, are those two feet of boat hard to give up? I was in one the other day and they seemed somewhat smaller. The price however I can't complain about! I'm a yamaha guy, but it sounds as if the suzuki engines are quality units...How does that 140 backtroll, is it slow enough?

I've run my vantage for a little over a season now and I wouldn't be without one ever again!

When they are working correctly / not broken, the Vantages are great. Seems too "gadgety" with too many things to go wrong. One small thing and the whole units is useless.

I've got a Vector, and will never get another. Way to clumbsy getting it up and down and set to right height.

The Traxxis looks promising. Haven't seen it in use yet, but ads make it sound very easy to deploy, and not have to rely on all the moving parts that come with the Vantage. Good luck.

I would go with the 140 motor for sure. Can never have too much power.

GO WITH THE 140!! you will love the engine i have heard thats the best outboard out there its a sweet engine.

Mark, I run a 1890 Warrior with a 140 suzuki. It has been terrific. Quiet sometimes do not know it is running. With the price of oil for outboards the 140 will be a big plus!With a light load in your boat will push about 44 m.p.h. Hope this helps! Jack Shriver

I've had good luck with my Vantage I guess. Did have to stick in about $200 after 6 years of use. Can't even come close to how slick the stearing ratio allows you minimal handle movement to spin the lower unit 180 degrees. I couldn't live without it now.

Hey there Jack. Missed the tourney up at NLLC the past couple of years. You know my uncle from Glencoe (Gene). Hopefully that rings a bell on who I am.

Not really familiar with either motor but all I can say is Jack has run a lot of water over the years and if this rig suits him, it has to be good!

spin the lower unit 180 degrees???

tell me bout that

What I meant is the roughly 4x steering. Point being is that on the Vantage, it only takes a movement of I'd have to say about 22.5 degrees from center with the handle to turn the lower unit of the trolling motor 90 degrees (movement 22.5degrees both ways from center would spin the lower unit 180 or completely in the opposite direction). I run a 1775 Lund ProV and just like many of today's tillers, a "regular" trolling motor would have you leaning way out of your seat to do the same thing.