• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think the deer will die this winter.

I'd 2nd Timberghosts statement, its all or nothing if you are going to feed them

I bought two fifty pound bags of corn, $14.00, and it was gone in four nights. Sorry deer, I cant afford to feed you all winter so I am not going to do it at all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the amount we put out every two weeks,and no thats not a joke.Second most people dont have a way to carry that much corn through 3feet of snow a mile into the woods, so they buy 50lbs bags from stores at 9 dollars a bag. Also take into consideration most dont hunt right out their back door. Adding to your cost is fuel and time.

Unless you really believe in what you are doing and doing it in a way that wont harm the herd, most give up or need that money for more important things. Remember those deer become dependent on that food in time because their stomach acids need to change in order for them to absorb what they need from it, and that takes time. If you were to stop feeding to soon the may die before the stomach catches up with them, April is a long way away. Just want everyone to put some thought into what they are wanting to do, thats all,

Sorry you cant take your guided hunt to anywhere. "DUDE"..."BIG GRIN"

I guess I should say corn is not the best feed for deer. It only has around 6 percent protien and that is really not enough for deer to live on alone. I bought one bag of "extreme corn" from Gander that claimed to be 11 percent protein. It looked more like dog food but they ate it. I think if you really wanted to feed the deer you should be giving them something like turnups. Something with higher levels of protien.

If I had more money I would feed the deer all winter just because I enjoy seeing them in my back yard, and so do the kids. However, deer have been around for 3 million years so I am sure they will survive without my food pile.

I kinda think its funny how a guy spends 9 months a year trying to support the deer and 3 month a year trying to kill them.

Second most people dont have a way to carry that much corn through 3feet of snow a mile into the woods,

ITS CALLED A ATV OR SNOWMOBILE. (INVENTED IN THE PAST 50 YEARS)

so they buy 50lbs bags from stores at 9 dollars a bag. TRY 6 NOT 9

Also take into consideration most dont hunt right out their back door.

MANY PEOPLE HUNT WITHIN 300 YDS OF THERE BACK DOOR.

If you were to stop feeding to soon the may die before the stomach catches up with them.

BEFORE THERE STOMACH CATCHES UP WITH THEM? .....RLMAO...THATS A GOOD ONE.

Sorry you cant take your guided hunt to anywhere. "DUDE"..."BIG GRIN"

I'M SORRY TO THATS WHY I WILL CONTINUE TO DO MY BEST TO HELP THE DEER OUT DURING THIS HARSH WINTER....DUDE.....

"BIGGER GRIN"

JUST AT GANDER 9DOLLARS A BAG.

You take for granted that everyone has an atv.

Some do hunt 300 yards from home, MOST DO NOT!

Also spend some time reading.

Get a good job.

Move out of mom and dads basement.

Then maybe you could buy your guided hunt.

Get a good job.

Bullfighter has a similar tone in another posting he made with someone who disagreed with him on the topic, "Financial Meltdown."

And he proceeded to have his own personal,"meltdown."

The extent of his debating skill was to accuse the other poster of being a "pot smoker."

So it appears you're not alone.

You should go over there and read it.

Originally Posted By: timberghost

Get a good job.

Bullfighter has a similar tone in another posting he made with someone who disagreed with him on the topic, "Financial Meltdown."

And he proceeded to have his own personal,"meltdown."

The extent of his debating skill was to accuse the other poster of being a "pot smoker."

So it appears you're not alone.

You should go over there and read it.

that did get a little tense in there LOL

Originally Posted By: Big Dave2
20 bushels of corn for the whole winter? If you are in an area with a large deer population, I would think they might eat that in a week.

$120.00 X 16 weeks = Guided hunt grin

MOST GUIDED HUNTS ARE OVER 2,500 BUCKS DUDE....What part of the world you living in?

BIG GRIN ....

120.00 x 16 weeks = $1920.00

Thats pretty close to $2500.00........DUDE.

I live in Minnesota so I don't go on guided hunts.

I think deer will eat as much as you give them. I have up to six coming in to feed and I've been putting out about 2 to 3 gallons aday. I notice some come in and feed for alittle and then are gone they don't stay and cleanout the troff. I figure I'm helping contribute to some of their feeding but not all. I remember back in 1996 when the DNR donated feed I was feeding and they where hurting bad they would bed about 50 yards from the feed, you would see them when you came with the feed. Lets hope we don't get a real warm spell that puts a crust on the snow it would be hard for them to get around and the wolfs would run on top.

Quote:
I kinda think its funny how a guy spends 9 months a year trying to support the deer and 3 month a year trying to kill them.

I don't know. Could say the same thing and more about beef, pork, turkey, chicken, etc. We will do whatever it takes to save an animal only to butcher it later. If the mother dies while giving birth we'll take the colostrum for the calf and then nurse the calf until it can survive on its own. We'll pay a veterinarian to doctor sick and injured animals. We spend money building shelters to protect them from the elements. Then, when it's time, we gather them up, haul them to the slaughterhoues, and drop 'em like bricks.

Bob

Snowfighter I remember 1996 well, same in my swamp, DNR and a bunch of volunteers realizing a lot of those deer were the ones that they have on their land after winter is done and for the upcoming season, all helped feed about 200 deer. The deer were pretty much immobilized by that nasty winter. There is still so much corn standing around my areas the deer, what's left are in pretty good shape. It's this time of the year where food plots can help many critters and why in MN food plots aren't the same as baiting. Glad my neighbor plants a food plot, he has about 50 deer wintering it every night, yet during the fall he rarely has a deer on it during shooting hours, poor guy. Should be interesting this summer/early fall to see what is around. Hopefully a lot less doe permits.