• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"If you can't be with the one you love . . . (bird pics added)

. . . love the one you're with."

We had bigger game in mind, but we ended up getting a few of the usual suspects. A fine day nonetheless, even though it started out at -31 degrees.

All with the 30D and Canon 400 f5.6L or Canon 500 f4L IS (no, not Ken's).

3103952206_bce23f0818_o.jpg

3103122149_c577c6f44c_o.jpg

3103951924_1544f1a475_o.jpg

3103121889_d2e665a64c_o.jpg

3103121787_ea17d5b5e6_o.jpg

Glad you had something show up today. I went down to ribs2 and there wasn't even a chickadee to be found! When I got home though my 30D was waiting for me. I guess it wasn't so bad after all..grin

I did go and get some sunflower seed for tomorrows journeys to bring those birds back.

some sweet chickadee shots Steve......never tire of seeing them.....I'm picking up another "sack-o-seed" today.....goofy deer have chewed up a few pounds that I tossed at a "station" at Carey Lake earlier this week...they are eating machines!...lol!.....Looks like a blast of snow heading our way in a few hours....our first storm/blizzard of the season...one would think that those chickadees will be looking for any kind of seed/food after the big snowfall....I won't be going down to the bog untill next weekend....no doubt will be spending a good portion of this weekend moving snow... grin........ I have an "in" on 2 great grays south of Hibbing on Hwy 73 near "Cedar Valley"(south of the Floodwood cutoff)...been seen in the late afternnon feeding along the highway.....maybe get down that way after work this upcoming week....

That last one is killer! I had heard you guys had a good Chickadee and WP day. I have my fingers crossed that today brings better luck for "more species". smile

It looks like somebody hit up CPS for the weekend. wink

Buzz, nothing better today, and the guys aborted the rest of the trip after last shooting light this afternoon to scoot home ahead of the gathering storm. Everything was dialed in and prepped just right, but the pieces never fell together. Rest assured, negotiations for a sequel are already ongoing. gringrin

CPS lives to serve me. I'll be making a couple trips to the Bog next week with the 500 for some more fun. smilesmile

I just got the call and they were in the cruddy weather near Cloquet headed south. I got the report, they were pleased with your efforts.

ML

Buzz, nothing better today, and the guys aborted the rest of the trip after last shooting light this afternoon to scoot home ahead of the gathering storm. Everything was dialed in and prepped just right, but the pieces never fell together. Rest assured, negotiations for a sequel are already ongoing. gringrin

CPS lives to serve me. I'll be making a couple trips to the Bog next week with the 500 for some more fun. smilesmile

They both had good senses of humor. Very funny guys who were rewarding companions and excellent clients. smilesmilesmile

They asked me to remind you that there are no such species as seagulls. winkwink

I'll be back in there tomorrow to tidy up, and I told them that if they got e-mails from me with attachments they'd best delete them or risk boiling over at the fine snowfall/wolf images I got after they left. We'll see! And next time to you talk to him, ask him why Ely pine siskins hate his guts! gringrin

Here are a couple images of the setup.

Birds off the back deck

3106114992_5ac46019e7_o.jpg

Macrofauna from the padded comfort of the front porch

3105283159_5f596c18a7_o.jpg

Quote:
They asked me to remind you that there are no such species as seagulls.
OUCH!! I took Stan to see trhe plethora of Eagles in Iowa last year and I mistakingly used the term "Seagulls"... oops! To this day I continuously (for effect) call them "seagulls". grinwhistle

Stan is the master of bird perches, well actually Alan Murphy is, but Stan is pretty darn close.... the difference is that he doesn't post his images all over the net. I've seen his extensive collection of slides and digital files and it is very impressive.

I'm glad you guys had fun, a good group I'm certain!! Sad I missed it! Darn X-mas parties! I'll post some stuff tomorrow from my weekend adventures. blush

Great shots all of them, I do have a question to ask you Steve, on the head shot where the bird is behind the tree and head sticking out, how did u keep the bird in focus and have the tree blurry like that when they are so close together?

IceChicka, when the subject is that close to the lens (about 15 feet), the depth of focus is very shallow. I was at f4, and the DOF was about an inch or less. If I'd been 200 yards away from the subject with the same lens at f4, the DOF would have been measured in feet. Just the way lenses work.

In this case the bird's head was a couple inches behind the bark, so when I grabbed focus on the bird's eye, the bark was far enough ahead of the DOF to be that blurry.

Keep the lens and send back that 100-400 F/5.6 jobbie!

Buzz, I haven't owned the 100-400 for going on a year. I have a 70-200 f2.8L, 400 f5.6L and 1.4 TC now for my telephoto shooting. The 400 f5.6L is as sharp as any of the top glass I've shot (300, other 400, 500 and 600.) Sure wish they made it with IS.

I wouldn't actually MIND keeping my hands on the 500, but I think Canon would blacklist me if I did that, and then I'd be stuck shooting Sony or Pentax. gringrin