• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fine For Being On Early Ice

Scott Stein

Jesse Ventura said it best "you can legislate stupidity". It's a judgment call. My wife wouldn't be caught dead on any ice. If it were up to people like her no one would EVER be allowed out there. Now you all know where I hide from her. lol laugh

I don't know if people should be fined but... here's the scenario, some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly knowingly goes out on dangerous ice and the officials aren't allowed to say no, said one-who-thinks-I-am-silly falls through the ice and now expects the officials to risk their lives to pull him out.

Yup its their job!

Really though, there are a thousand things people have a legal right to do that could be dangerous, you cant go making them all illegal.

I see it this way. If it's a volunteer service then charging ("fine" if you prefer) would be appropriate, at least to defray the cost of the service, which is much lower than it would be if it was a full-time service.

If the service is a full-time service then the cost is already paid for through the budget of the program when we pay our taxes.

Bob

As far as rescue is concerned, like BG said every department is different. There is departments that don't charge at all. Ambulance services always charge on a transport and can not charge for a non transport. Some departments only charge if there is intent (arson, stupidity).

But that is only the beginning, there is the DNR's pollution fine for putting a motor vehicle in the water $$$$$$$$ and ice recovery divers will cost you $$$$$$$$ and most insurances don't cover it. I have heard it can cost up to $6000.00 OOP.

A fine for early ice would be uninforcable, due to the fact the the DNR states that (NO ICE IS SAFE ICE)

This all got started by two poeple that were not paying attention to their environment and fell in and died. What makes anyone think they would pay attention to the law if they made one. It would only hurt those of us who do pay attention to the ice thickness, check it and go out accordingly.

I'm all for sending fines and fees thru the roof when your vehicle or house goes thru the ice. Also fine the life out of people for rescues. If people are made aware of the insane costs of rescues they will hopefully use more caution when going on the ice early season.

Theres no reasonable way to determine that this lake is safe and that lake isn't. Far too many variables. It would likely cost more than its worth.

Also fine the life out of people for rescues. If people are made aware of the insane costs of rescues they will hopefully use more caution when going on the ice early season.

You think that these same people that fall through the ice would not go on the ice or be safer cause they might have to pay to be rescued?? I don't think these people are the ones to think in the first place!!! That is more likely the reason they need to be rescued!!

slippery slope trying to pick and choose who can go on the ice and when. Overregulation is what it would be...sounds like another rumor gone wild to me. I don't think CO's would be in favor of writing tickets for something so silly.

Great point Quetico, Ice is truly unpredictable and ive checked ice and fished with no problems on 3 inchs so it depends on the ice strength and being smart about it. I understand that the DNR wants people to be smart about what they are doing but thats not the way to go about it.

I heard of a case in burnsville were people on early ice were fined for being out to early for reckless endangerment. The argument was that if kids saw them then they would be at risk to go out on the ice also.

I think everyone needs to take their own responsibility for their safety on the ice and that the DNR would have a very hard time enforcing this one...

This all got started by two poeple that were not paying attention to their environment and fell in and died. What makes anyone think they would pay attention to the law if they made one. It would only hurt those of us who do pay attention to the ice thickness, check it and go out accordingly.

Actually, this whole thing got started by a couple of idiots on the radio trying to "make" news where there is none. This is a made up issue that only exists in the minds of those that have too much time on their hands. People fall through the ice every year and will continue to do so. Others will rescue them or find their bodies because that is what they do. Idiots die and so do smart guys who make mistakes. Let's just be as safe as we can out there.

probly easy to fight if the CO walked out and gave you a ticket as he would have to verify the ice conditions.....but wait an "ice pro" CO wouldn't venture out on unsafe ice....now would he?

sounds like a catch 22 snafu to me!!