• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how are the new humminbirds working

793bob

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have one in a deep water version for laker fishing?

The Ice 55 would be the best unit for Laker Fishing. It has 120 and 200 foot depth scales, 2400 watts of power, and a 9-degree narrow beam transducer that is perfect for those depths. HB Ice 55 Flasher

The Ice 45 would work well also, it has the same depth scales and 9-degree transducer, and 1800 watts of power. HB Ice 45 Flasher

You only need to worry about a "deep water version" when you're talking about lower-power flashers with wider beam transducers.

Why do the Humminbird ICE Series flashers have two cables on their transducers?

Humminbird's transducer assembly contains both a support cable and a signal cable. The support cable hangs the transducer at the proper position in the water, and the signal cable connects the transducer to the control head. Because Techsonic Industries believes in respecting the intellectual property of others, we specifically designed our assembly such that it would not infringe a specific patent relating to suspending an ice fishing transducer by its signal cable. For that reason, the transducer should be utilized per the instructions in the owner's manual at all times.

This the explanation as explained on the FAQ section on Humminbird.com.

To ease some of the confusion we are working on a diagram to illustrate the correct/incorrect way to install the support cable and get the performance you need. We will post it on the FAQ section and I will try and post it here as well.

Eddie, thanks for all the great information on your new Humminbird flashers, it is really good to hear the facts.

On a side note, I did have to chuckle a bit at your location you list in your user information.... Lake Eufaula... Sounds like many of our frozen lakes here in Mn and the upper midwest at winter. Frozen lakes sometimes equall "You-Falla" and once she is solid, that fall hurts the bum pretty good! hehehehe

Again, thanks for keeping the information coming to all the questions.

I posted this in an earlier thread, but thought I would repost.

I have put in about fifteen hours on my ICE 35. I have fished from four feet on the backwaters to about twelve feet at a local reservoir here in Rochester. I used the wide beam in the shallow water and was very impressed. (definitely helped me slay the gills) Now in the deeper water I switched it to the narrow beam and I could see the difference when my waxie was on or off, and yes there is a small black line between the jig and waxie when the gain is set just right. Battery life so far seems more than adequate. I am very impressed with the performance of this unit, but I have more to learn, as I still have'nt quite grasped the zoom feature. I am hoping this coming up weekend to be able to get out into some deeper water (maybe like 20-30 feet) and figure to learn the zoom better then. I do think the thing is a little noisy, and have an E-mail into the humminbird rep. I will report more as I learn more. I forgot to add that I love the screen. Very readable outside, even at an angle, or from quite a distance!

As I stated in an earlier post, I e-mailed Humminbird yesterday about what I think is an abnormal noise concern. Well, this is the rest of the corespondance,

Mr. Stevens,

It has been noted that you had contacted Joby with Humminbird regarding the ICE35 flasher that is not operating correctly at all times. What you have described should not be happening and there have not been any noted issues with the systems. From what you have documented regarding the system not operating we will need to send a replacement ICE35 display to you. Also, a return shipping label will be mailed separately to you to return the ICE 35 that is not functioning properly at this time. Please supply your address to receive the ICE35 and shipping label from Humminbird with reply to this email inquiry. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jennifer Trammell

Humminbird CRC Representative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wed 12/3/2008 10:46 AM

To: cservice

Subject: RE: Humminbird ICE 35

Jennifer, Thank you for the very timely response, this is the type of customer service I expected from your company.

The address you can use is as follows;

Nissan of Rochester

4642 HWY 52 N

Rochester, MN 55904

Co Tim Stevens

Again thank you for this quick action and I will be sure to let others know that Humminbird does indeed stand behind their product!

Tim Stevens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Stevens,

Thank you for the information. The order has been placed to ship an ICE35 flasher control head to you to the address in below correspondence. Confirmation number for the order is 2544221 SM. The shipping label is also being mailed to the same address for you to return the non-functioning ICE35 control head back to Humminbird. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jennifer-CRC

We will see how fast the new head unit takes, but this in my mind is super fast customer service!

Just a follow up. I received the new control head for my flasher today from Humminbird. The thing is now whisper quiet, as I thought it should be. Only time will tell about the durability of these units, but only two days from contacting them, to having a new unit in hand reassures me that the customer service is right on par with everyone else! See ya out on the ice!

Good deal Tim! Glad they take care of their customers. That is one reason I will likely consider a switch to HB from our long time brand for open water... Eddie I know you are watching this, so kudos to your company and your support department! smile

I am sure that Vexilar and Marcum can't be happy with Hummingbird. I love my ICE 45. I have been out about 8 times with it already.

I sure wish it didnt take two months to get my soft case for it. Sure would have been nice if they would just give it to you in the store, or at least pay the shipping.

I am sure that Vexilar and Marcum can't be happy with Hummingbird. I love my ICE 45. I have been out about 8 times with it already.

I sure wish it didnt take two months to get my soft case for it. Sure would have been nice if they would just give it to you in the store, or at least pay the shipping.

Did you get the rebate thing for the case when you got your 45? Those cases are spendy but I found a good deal online for my Ice 35. I ordered it on sat and getting it any day now can't wait! so I dont get snow all over it!

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

And your LX-5 doesnt have the nice flat screen that my 45 does. So when I am leaning over to pick up something I will still be able to see my screen and catch those big eyes every time!

Eddie,I think you should talk to your tech department about designing a transducer that will work on the open water. This thing would be the bomb out on a boat, with the larger, brighter screen, that can be seen at an angle. What say you? By the way, what is the other outlet on the back of the unit that nothing plugs into? Maybe my wish will come true in the near future?

A little competition is a good thing. It generally pushes companies to, well.. push the envelope. That's why Marcum is where it's at and vexilar is where it's at. Now Hummingbird will help the cause even more.

If I didn't love my Marcum so much I'd definately buy a 55.

I saw that, that's why I asked too. Welcome to the site by the way. I never have had a lot of luck with a highspeed transducers. I fish a super deep lake with tremendous peaks and valleys and by the time the units switch depth scales the info is worthless.

I just like to know when I'm on a cliff face and cone angle affects that. At 1.8 mph do you think the iceducer is going to read? Hans