• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guy died on Medicine Lake

pike doctor

Here is a link to the story. He was skating i guess. When I went out a couple weeks on first ice i was very cautious checking ice with my chisel. After getting set up here comes a father and daughter skating right across the middle of this lake. They came over to talk to me and that's when i informed him that there probably was not quite 2" of ice, and that there was probably even less out deep.

Needless to say they skated back right next to shore.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/35686219.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsr

Wow I cant believe that!

I was out on Medicine yeserday (Saturday) from noon to 5:30. I went out on French boat/beach access. You could see from the access that when you looked out toward the left there was what appeared to be either open water or that kind of "bluish stained" area through the snow that had just fallen. So, it was either open water or if not open - probably just a thin layer of water soaked ice to make it bluish looking. Someone not familiar with that look might think it was iced over. I went straight out and walked all the way to the other side - and had 6 inches of ice. However, as I said looking over to the left from the beach it didnt look safe at all. This still freaks me out a bit - as I was just out there that afternoon. Very sobering.

Wow I cant believe that!

I was out on Medicine yeserday (Saturday) from noon to 5:30. I went out on French boat/beach access. You could see from the access that when you looked out toward the left there was what appeared to be either open water or that kind of "bluish stained" area through the snow that had just fallen. So, it was either open water or if not open - probably just a thin layer of water soaked ice to make it bluish looking. Someone not familiar with that look might think it was iced over. I went straight out and walked all the way to the other side - and had 6 inches of ice. However, as I said looking over to the left from the beach it didnt look safe at all. This still freaks me out a bit - as I was just out there that afternoon. Very sobering.

story said he was an out of towner, probably didnt know what that ment, just skating to and fro, not paying attention. poor guy, but more proof, you shouldnt go on the lake this early if you dont know the area

This is the kind of story that gets ice fisherman kicked off lakes, I first am sorry to hear of the loss of life. Second it goes to show you that experiened ice fisherman are careful, we avoid areas with springs and weeds.

My wife asked if I will fish medicine after this and I told her there are areas to be avoided at any time of winter and that is why i check with Joe after I buy bait, even in January. If only a few ice fisherman were around to warn him, but maybe that is why none were in the area. You can nenver be too safe as we all know, no ice is safe, but neither is living your life. My car, furnace, water heater, filet knife, fish house heater, beer, rum ... all have a WARNING label.

I pray for his family and wish us all a safe season!

Very well said anyfishaldo, very well said and I agree with you. You must watch where you are and get ice reports from locals at all times. I don't try to be the first guy on the ice and I'm fine with that. My life isn't worth a few fish. Isn't there an ice rink around he could have gone to? I'm not putting him down and I feel bad for his family, but you really have to careful out there all the time.

That is terrible news...and one of my wife's biggest fears every time I head out on the ice. I would like to point out to everyone that even though there are big houses and four wheelers popping up on the lakes...USE caution if you are heading out. On Lake Minnewaska near Glenwood you can be on 8 inches of ice consistently and the next minute going over a heave and 2 inches. Never assume that if someone says there is 8 inches that the whole lake has that. I guess I am amazed at how few accidents there really are when you consider the number of people on the ice. Be safe...use caution...and enjoy the season!